MMA: It sucks and so do you.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MMA: It sucks and so do you.

I've been sitting here trying to decide whether or not I've been wanting to post this article. I've been shaping it over and over trying to figure out if I could better get my point across.

But I stopped caring and decided having to put that much effort into this for you assholes is far too much work. So I guess, we'll start.

First and foremost, I want to say that MMA gyms suck. Yes, they suck. They suck and therfore you suck. Why do they suck?

Because. Because MMA gyms these days have turned into places where they teach bad kickboxing with bad judo. These days, ladies and gentlemen, MMA has gotten to popular and the word "mma" has carried so much "credibility" that shitty gyms have been able to fly under the radar. Throw a few tattoos, shave a few heads, drive a few trucks and play some angry white guy music and you've got yourself an, "MMA gym." It'll have "credibility" enough to get enough people there to practice their shitty kickboxing with their shitty judo.

Like everything, quality is rare. Recently I've been trying out some classes at local gyms that claim "mma" as their style. Basically it comes down to, this big MMA phenomenom has turned into a free pass for gyms to claim MMA. All of the gyms I've gone to teach your basic "MT" and "BJJ" classes and the obligatory, "MMA" class. Now, the "MT" class and the "BJJ" class are mediocre at best generally, but that can't be helped. You can't have the best everywhere. But it's the "MMA" classes that are in question.

The MMA class becomes a comical imitation of LOLtimate fighter. Everyone awkwardly runs at each other like two retarded pachycephalosaurus then after slugging each other a few times they kind of fall on the ground together and commence what looks like the first time sexual experience of two retarded gay males with aspergers.

How anybody thinks this is somehow less silly than dancing around in silk pajamas is beyond me.

A bad MMA class is still better then 90% of the traditional schools out there
    because I bet they still train with aliveness and resistance.

Comment

Originally posted by Jiujitsu77 View Post
      A bad MMA class is still better then 90% of the traditional schools out there
      because I bet they still train with aliveness and resistance.
      Don't waffle. Sarcastro's right on this.

But you know what? This too shall pass, like the ninja fad and the kung fu fad and the BJJ fad (yes, it was a fad, and like some fads, it has found a niche where it will live forever).

There is ALWAYS going to be sub-par ANYTHING. That's why sharing info in the community is so damn important. To weed the shitty from the genuine.
      Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Comment

Wasn't this rehashed a billion times before in the plethora of threads that championed that it wasn't what you trained, but how you trained?

Let me answer that for you: yes, it was.

Sirc, quit trying to be something fresh and new, there isn't anything that way when it comes to MAs anymore.

Comment

sirc if you want to be something fresh and new then get yourself a new haircut. You look awful.

Comment

Yo yo yo 'cause I crapple no-gi you best call me GSP, p-four-p
            'cause this thread's pahrfourmance don't im-press me
            You be sayin' that my muay thai is shit-tee
            So I slam your face down on to mah knee
            But hey hey hey don't shit on mah bee-bee-jay
            'cause if you get in my guard I triangle you like every day

Hey, at least it's not Aikido.

Comment

Because. Because MMA gyms these days have turned into places where they teach bad kickboxing with bad judo. These days, ladies and gentlemen, MMA has gotten to popular and the word "mma" has carried so much "credibility" that shitty gyms have been able to fly under the radar.

Yep I completely agree with this statement. They use the idea of "well you won't need it for a mma fight" to use as an excuse to leave out many of the fundamentals you would learn in a credible say judo or boxing gym. You learn a skewed version of the art. Thats not to say some who are or will definately be a mma fighter one day, that they won't train that way, but for your avg joe there is no reason to leave out many of the important functions of an art because "it's not needed in mma". Good to see someone post on this subject, I've thought of this also and it annoys the piss out of me. Specially when I see younger kids being taught these things, it's fucking up the fundamentals of the arts, and basically teaching the art to a new generation wrongly while changing how the art is suppose to be taught....and those bad habits and way of teaching will carry on to the next generation....and so on.

Comment

Originally posted by JKDChick View Post
                Don't waffle. Sarcastro's right on this.

But you know what? This too shall pass, like the ninja fad and the kung fu fad and the BJJ fad (yes, it was a fad, and like some fads, it has found a niche where it will live forever).

There is ALWAYS going to be sub-par ANYTHING. That's why sharing info in the community is so damn important. To weed the shitty from the genuine.

I don't think this will pass but will just get worse as more schools pop up. You can't really compare this to a fad like the ninja fad, with this being a sport now, it will only get larger as time goes by. In the next 5 to 10 years they will be calling MMA a martial art on it's own, you'll see fighters who train in "MMA" as a style. Mark my words, i hope not but I'm thinking it will, maybe not that soon, but someday it will.

Comment

I was gearing up to post a new thread, but I'll say what I was goint to say here.

We've all been over the "Should I train 1 art at a time, or mix it up" debate on other threads. Correct me if I'm leaving something out, but I would summarize the dilamma as follows:

Originally posted by Dilemma
                  If I train 1 art at a time, there will be a good long time in which I am not a ballanced fighter. If I train mixed, I may become OK at many things, but not really great at anything.
                  This may seem like a toss up, but the choice is really a lot clearer than you might think. Mixed training encourages the bringing of secondary styles "in-house", for example, bringing a boxing coach into a BJJ gym. This may work for a while, but what it is really doing is sucking the life out of the martial arts/combat sports scene in your city. People stop seeking out boxing gyms, Judo dojos, and even BJJ gyms because they think they can get it all under one roof. It does to the many and varied places one might train martial arts, what Amazon did to the nation's book stores. Centralize and destroy.

No one is ever going to learn to box like a boxer, like the guy they hired to train you in your MMA gym, by doing boxing classes in a mixed school. You may learn the rudementary boxing needed to club people in MMA, but after all the boxing gyms close up, who's going to teachthe next generation of MMA fighters how to box? You? Me? Forget it. Same goes for BJJ, Judo, MT, etc.

Don't forget that the original advocates of mixed gyms (Ruas, Miletich, etc.) got their training one art at a time. Its not a bad idea... until it gets popular, then you have a problem.
                  Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
                  Luta Livre flees the fight,
                  Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
                  Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

Comment

Life is just not fair. Why can't everything be equal, good, and easy?

Comment

I think that in the era of easy information, sub-par schools will find it harder and harder to keep their doors open, just as it may be the case with more traditional arts.

There has always been an imbalance of information regarding the credibility of arts and their instructors; legend and hollywood seemed to be the only way that the masses were informed of developed fighting systems. I think that we'll see a decline in the future of both shady teachers and worthless systems. Karate and kung fu and the like will always remain by virtue of tradition, but the likes of instructors with fake lineages and such will be rooted out in greater frequency. Not that BS.net is the sole gatekeeper in this arena, but in any subject matter beyond just martial arts, we will see this phenomenon.

Recall the Rathergate issue. It was bloggers and good ol research, available in blindingly short amount of time, that exposed what would have otherwise been a very damning story. Imagine if a similar tactic had been used (and likely was) during a campaign in the 50's or 60's? The flow of information would have been so slow that the truth of the matter would never have been known till long after the damage was done.

To Sum: things like the internet will be the great equalizer for MMA.

Comment

I know what your trying to say but the thing is.. For an MMA gym to be considered good and gain respect among its peers it has to produce good fighters.

To produce good fighters coaches need among other things solid technical knowledge .

95% of these fan boy gyms you see opening up all over the place wont churn out any decent professionals.

Comment

Originally posted by Massiveamounts View Post
                          They use the idea of "well you won't need it for a mma fight" to use as an excuse to leave out many of the fundamentals you would learn in a credible say judo or boxing gym. You learn a skewed version of the art. Thats not to say some who are or will definately be a mma fighter one day, that they won't train that way, but for your avg joe there is no reason to leave out many of the important functions of an art because "it's not needed in mma".
                          This is troubling.

You're faulting an MMA gym for not showing the 'pure' techniques of any art, even though most of those individual arts are guilty of the exact same thing.

Judo clubs don't sufficiently address how to deal with strikers, and boxing gyms don't address takedowns. It is as much the case that mma gyms are teaching a skewed version of these arts as it is that these arts are teaching a skewed version of mma.

Flame on.

Comment

There is an another aspect of the current trend in MMA culture that worries me. This is a giant sub-cultural vacuum clearner slurping up everything in sight and turning everything it gets its hands on into shit.

Let me explain:

First it slurped up the 70's skateboard culture
                            then it consumed punk rock
                            then metal
                            then rap
                            along the way it consumed the tattoo subculture, and the gaming culture, and now its consuming MMA. Each of these culture has been sucked in, chewed up, and sprayed out as diarrhea. Is it any wonder that your average MMA gym looks and sounds like an Agnostic Front show crossed with a Halo 3 convention?

Moms will never sign their kids up to train in this kind of environment. We're looking at the start of something dangerous here.
                            Last edited by Matt Phillips; 4/29/2009 8:46am, .
                            Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
                            Luta Livre flees the fight,
                            Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
                            Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

Comment

War Wheel, I think you have a legitimate criticism/doomsday prediction. What are the possibilities, however? Will we see MT/SS coaches teaching under an umbrella for MMA in addition to their primary art? Will we see MMA coaches that specialize in striking-for-MMA, BJJ-for-MMA, etc?

In other words, we know that the focus is changing. Yes, that change will destroy things that are nice (pure boxing gyms, for example), but what will rise up to replace it?

EDIT: I was referring to WW's first post. His second is more generally about the postmodern nature of consumerist society, which is of course troubling as well.
                              Last edited by 1point2; 4/29/2009 8:34am, .
                              What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X