Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Way of the Warrior: book. CMA legit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Way of the Warrior: book. CMA legit?

So I have been reading this book by Chris Crudelli:

http://www.amazon.com/Way-Warrior-Ma...=pd_ys_iyr_img

I also did some reading about Chris Crudelli at his site:

http://www.crudelli.com/Main%20Page/...0Crudelli.html

I am learning a lot if stuff about the history of martial arts in this book. Here is my question. Is the information that I am reading about in the book, especially the CMA information generally correct? The information in each area tells a brief overview of the martial art style, where it came from, and what it is designed for. Mr. Crudelli has created his own CMA style, he lived and studied in China for years and I have seen some if his videos where he tested some of the myths of martial arts.

I was just wondering specifically from the CMA people if this information in this book is generally accepted, or is the information he is giving just some watered down information that is not entirely correct?
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

"Disliking someone is not evidence of wrongdoing or malfeasance or even bias." --Dung Beatles

I'm not a CMA guy, but that author was the host of "Mind, Body & Kick Ass Moves". He basically made a career on not calling bull shit when he saw it.

What you're likely getting in his book (& I skimmed it at the library one time but never read it thoroughly) is the official party line for each art, given by some high ranking person within that art & then not fact checked.

Comment

It's a coffeetable book, so it's just for fun. It's not supposed to be a scholarly book. It has the usual bullshit about dim mak (inexplicably as its own art too!) and Chang San Feng founding taiji. (Imaging going to a fencing class and being told that swordplay was invented by Merlin.)

Two things pop out at me: he uncritically includes Boabom (a made up art supposedly from Tibet that nobody actually from Tibet has ever heard of) and confuses tui na and chin-na (go to a traditional Chinese medicine man and ask for the wrong one for some hilariously painful results). There's plenty of accurate info in there too, but it's like reading an extremely credulous bunch of Wikipedia entries, but with better pictures. He does try to include every stupid little thing, such as Serbian Aikido, and Polish military CQ fisticuffs, etc.

This is just a book you have around to spark some daydreams, nothing important.

Comment

Thank you. I was kinda getting that idea. Just wanted to make sure from some people who would know better than me. It has cool pics and some interesting reading. I just was wondering because like you said, he included Dim Mak, his own system, and a couple of BS systems here in America.

Thanks for the info!!!!!
        Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

"Disliking someone is not evidence of wrongdoing or malfeasance or even bias." --Dung Beatles

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
        X