Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

About how much time is reasonable to commit to amateur MMA?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    About how much time is reasonable to commit to amateur MMA?

    Without any expectations of going pro. I've been committing about 20 hours give or take for the last 6 months to training and my girlfriend and relatives are concerned I'm letting it get in the way of my personal life and getting back into college. I'm starting to think that maybe that they're right because most of the people I train with are pretty hardcore and plan on moving up and come from a combative sport background like wrestling and plan and going pro or are just dumbasses and are deluding themselves. Maybe I should just stick to one MA like BJJ and just compete in that for fun.

    But for a profession I should probably graduate college.

    #2
    How long you should train really depends on your goals, and reasons for training.

    Obviously, your goal is not to be a professional, so that lowers the amount of hours.

    If you're intending on going to college, that will perhaps also lower the number of hours. Ditto having a girlfriend.

    Basically, train as much as you can, without it ruining other aspects of your life. (girlfriend, college, family/friends, other hobbies).

    There's no set answer.

    I personally only do 4 hours of judo a week, although i'd prefer to be doing 6 or 8.

    Comment


      #3
      I don't plan on going pro or anything like that and spend between 6 to 8 hours a week training. Between my career, girlfriend and responsibilities at home I find it hard to put any more time than that during the work week. My gym is not open on weekends but I have plans to do some training with some of my buddies on the weekend. This might add an extra 4 to 6 hours of training time.

      Seriously, school is important if that is what you want in your life. Keep training in there as a stress relief and to keep yourself fit but don't over do it. Once school is done and you have a job you'll see you have more time to dedicate to things you like.

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by ceeb View Post
        I don't plan on going pro or anything like that and spend between 6 to 8 hours a week training. Between my career, girlfriend and responsibilities at home I find it hard to put any more time than that during the work week. My gym is not open on weekends but I have plans to do some training with some of my buddies on the weekend. This might add an extra 4 to 6 hours of training time.

        Seriously, school is important if that is what you want in your life. Keep training in there as a stress relief and to keep yourself fit but don't over do it. Once school is done and you have a job you'll see you have more time to dedicate to things you like.
        Well I just got my ass handed to me in my first cage fight and it kind of put things into perspective for me. Granted I took the fight on 3 days notice which was stupid of me, and it disapoints me because I see a lot of fights in that league that I'm a lot better than but this guy outclassed me by a long shot (former NCAA college wrestler).

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Landser View Post
          Well I just got my ass handed to me in my first cage fight and it kind of put things into perspective for me. Granted I took the fight on 3 days notice which was stupid of me, and it disapoints me because I see a lot of fights in that league that I'm a lot better than but this guy outclassed me by a long shot (former NCAA college wrestler).
          that is going to happen in amateurs. There is such a disparity of skill lever in the amateur ranks its ridiculous. I have seen guys I am sure could hang with mid-tier pros and I have seen a 5'9" 230lb tub of lard win a fight on a lucky overhand right (I was supposed to fight him, but he outweighed me by too much :icon_cry:). You also admit you are stupid for taking the fight on such short notice against a very skilled opponent.

          Basically I would tell you if you are still interested to try again. If you faced an NCAA wrestler your first time out, you have already faced the best you are gonna face without going pro.

          Comment


            #6
            Twenty hours a week sounds a little excessive to my inexperienced self, but how much of that is because you enjoy it, and how much is because you just want to fight?

            Girlfriend and family might need to just learn to accept that this is a passion of yours, along with you needing to make some sacrifices in the gym for the other things you want.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by simonifrius View Post
              Twenty hours a week sounds a little excessive to my inexperienced self, but how much of that is because you enjoy it, and how much is because you just want to fight?
              20 hours a week is nothing, I will easily put that much time in if I am preparing for a fight.

              And why can't he want to fight AND enjoy fighting? those don't seem mutually exclusive to me.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Beorn View Post
                20 hours a week is nothing, I will easily put that much time in if I am preparing for a fight.

                And why can't he want to fight AND enjoy fighting? those don't seem mutually exclusive to me.
                Okay, let me clarify:
                How much do you train because you want to, and how much because you feel like you have to, to do well?

                Really? 20 hours when you don't have a fight lined up for the amateur circuit? That surprises me (that so many I know are able to do this, time-wise.) We're talking high-commitment part-time job here.
                Now that I say it that way, I don't feel so surprised anymore.:5dunce:

                Comment


                  #9
                  How are your grades?

                  Only you know your priorities and whether you're balancing them appropriately. If you think you're neglecting school and family then you probably are. You'll lose nothing by taking a break from training for a couple of days to a week to catch up with your other obligations.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Moved to YMAS instead of the MMA forum because there have been three or four of these threads already.
                    Shut the hell up and train.

                    Comment

                    Collapse

                    Edit this module to specify a template to display.

                    Working...
                    X