Deadliest Warrior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deadliest Warrior

Who'd win in a fight: a viking or a samurai? What about a pirate vs. a knight? Or a ninja vs. a Spartan?

These sound like the kinds of questions posed around 2 a.m. when the bar is about to close or you're just screwing with the n00bs on Sherdog. They also sound like the premise for a new series on the Spike network.

Each episode, "pits two of the most feared warriors civilization has ever known against each other." Series regulars include a biomedical engineer who collects technical data during each fight, a doctor who "analyzes the lethal potential" of the battles and a "computer whiz" who runs simulations of the matchups.

The whole thing is a weird blend of high-tech gadgetry, bloody warrior showmanship and pure fantasy. The result could either be fascinating or terrible, but at least they're trying something new.

It premieres April 7 at 10 p.m. ET. All of the matchups I mentioned in the first paragraph are actual episodes, though the first ep pairs a gladiator against an Apache. No shit.

More info:

http://www.spike.com/show/31082

Sounds lame. I'll watch it.

I hope everyone involved with this TV show dies of colon cancer.

Comment

Great, thanks. I'm now going to spend half an hour in front of the television with either an entertained look on my face or:

Considering SpikeTV's track record, I'm predicting that I'll be doing the latter of the two. I hope you're happy.

Comment

Originally posted by Rivington View Post
        I hope everyone involved with this TV show dies of colon cancer.
        ... because nothing this eyeball-explodingly awesome should ever be allowed on television?

I concur.

Comment

Why do they make it so cheesy?

Imagine a tv show where they discussed real martial arts techniques and interviewed know celebrities about how they do it and their special tips for how to apply those techniques:)

Comment

I am 90% sure that this show was created by D&D geeks, most likely out of conversations that stemmed from the gaming table itself.
            The fool thinks himself immortal,
            If he hold back from battle;
            But old age will grant him no truce,
            Even if spears spare him.

Comment

Deadliest Warrior...Brought to you by the nerds that REALLY REALLY loved Fight Science.

Comment

You know, if we get a couple more shows like this, they can start thier own channel that runs Fight Science, Fight Quest and this show 24/7.

Comment

The version of this show where they pit various animals against each other by using mechanical simulacra was actually watchable.

Animal face off it was called, I believe.

Comment

Hell with it, sounds like fun to me.

The "hidden agenda" in these shows is that in between the kickass CGI graphics, awesome slow-mo shots and way cool weaponry demos, they're sneaking in information on science, history and culture to an audience that would run a mile rather than watch a "serious" documentary. It's education wrapped in cheese.
                    Check out the Bullshido.net Western Martial Arts Forum for all things Western, martial and arty.

Bartitsu: the Gentlemanly Art of Self Defence (est. 1899)

Comment

I can't bring myself to watch this stuff.
                      SEANBABY:

Comment

Originally posted by DdlR View Post
                        Hell with it, sounds like fun to me.

The "hidden agenda" in these shows is that in between the kickass CGI graphics, awesome slow-mo shots and way cool weaponry demos, they're sneaking in information on science, history and culture to an audience that would run a mile rather than watch a "serious" documentary. It's education wrapped in cheese.
                        Mmm... deep fried knowledge....
                        The fool thinks himself immortal,
                        If he hold back from battle;
                        But old age will grant him no truce,
                        Even if spears spare him.

Comment

Originally posted by Rancid Pantaloons View Post
                          Imagine a tv show where they discussed real martial arts techniques and interviewed know celebrities about how they do it and their special tips for how to apply those techniques:)
                          No, because those so-called, 'experts' would tend to be
                          the pot-bellied, 55 black belted, soke-this and that, that
                          this site is intended to go after.

Like this wack-job:
                          http://www.attackproof.com`
                          http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...t=john+perkins

`~/

Last edited by Meex; 4/06/2009 7:01pm, .
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rancid Pantaloons View Post
                            Why do they make it so cheesy?

Sadly this type of show would appeal to a small number of viewers in the grand scheme of things. I believe the History channel had a special a few years back where a group of scientists [everything from engineers to anthropologists] got together along with some folks who are experts at recreating ancient weapons and put this kind of stuff to a somewhat scientific test. I can't remember the name of the program now... of course.

Sadly a show about Z0MGZ v1K1NgZ sw0RDZ vs. t3H S4MUR4IZ will appeal to a large percentage of SpikeTV's viewership.

Comment

Originally posted by thaclient View Post
                              Sadly a show about Z0MGZ v1K1NgZ sw0RDZ vs. t3H S4MUR4IZ will appeal to a large percentage of SpikeTV's viewership.
                              Perhaps if they made it interesting. . .

> Vikings & Samurai -vs- The French

> The Huns & The Zulu's -vs- The French

> All of Sparta & The Samoans -vs- The French

See?
                              Interesting!

With the outcome in doubt each week,
                              it will produce riveting TV!

:new_popco
                              `~/
                              sigpic

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X