• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A contradiction in terms?

surely...?

http://www.ishigaki.org.uk/

Low content thread.

Make a farking comment on it, explain what it is, don't just provide a link.
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Comment

Are gay people not allowed join normal JJ clubs? :S seems awfully pointless to have one especially for it.

(unless you just get sick of the grappling gay jokes).

Comment

Originally posted by han090 View Post
        Are gay people not allowed join normal JJ clubs? :S seems awfully pointless to have one especially for it.
        do
        [ petterhaggholm.net | blog | essays ]
        [ self defence: general thoughts | bjj: “don’t go to the ground”? ]
        “The plural of anecdote is anecdotes, not data.”

Comment

It looks like they're filling a niche for people in the LGBTQ community who want to do martial arts in a non-threatening environment.
          Good for them.
          The fool thinks himself immortal,
          If he hold back from battle;
          But old age will grant him no truce,
          Even if spears spare him.

Comment

Being bisexual (with a more hetero slant) I would be wary of going to a place like this not because I care about the orientation of the guy or gal I'm rolling with, but because I don't want anyone showing up who's wasting my practice time trying to hit on me. I can understand if right before a match, getting into a guys guard might make people a bit self-conscious or having a girl mount you might make the cup a little tighter, but really once you start rolling if you're mind is anywhere else then you deserve to get choked the fuck out.

If the people going realize that mat time is training time, then who cares what they do in the sack? Now, if any cute gals or guys ask for a drink AFTER training - I suppose this gives the LGBT crowd a more confident area to broach that subject, so I'm cool with this place.

Edit: After seeing the preview video, I hope there's more actual sparring than what was shown.
            Last edited by Ajamil; 3/27/2009 11:17am, .

Comment

Originally posted by Petter View Post
              do
              I suppose not everyone is as forward thinking as i'd like to view the world. :(

(but kudos for the composed response).

I have many traits that would cause me to be reviled and ostracised though.

Since you mention hiding things to do with your sexuality in fact, i have received many a hard time for my BDSM....ways. To the extent that i don't tell people about it anymore.

(on here doesn't count, since it's just a forum).

(not that i can see a BDSM martial arts club starting anytime soon!!)

EDIT: Although, that a side, to a certain extent it seems like segregating yourself isn't the answer
              Last edited by han090; 3/27/2009 11:10am, .

Comment

Really how is this any different than say a women only MA place? Group of people who are "theoretically" welcome in any MA school but decide to start their own geared towards their pesonal demographic. I personally love the irony of a group of people who traditionally fight really hard for social acceptance as equals deciding to self segregate.

Comment

Originally posted by han090 View Post
                  Since you mention hiding things to do with your sexuality in fact, i have received many a hard time for my BDSM....ways. To the extent that i don't tell people about it anymore.
                  If I only knew you from a 1-2 day a week MA class, I'd feel pretty uncomfortable if you went into detail about your sex life. When does it even come up in casual conversation?

Maybe you got shit because of your lack of discretion, not because of your preferences?

Comment

them being gay isn't so much a problem as the bullshido they're learning.

Comment

i'm 100% hetero, and i'd rather grapple with a gay man than a woman. but i do know, that the BJJ players at my fitness center would call me a fag if they ever heard me say that. they would also probably say they had no problems with gays coming to the club, but the first time one did.....

i participated in an experement in sociology 201 in college where a bunch of straight guys were asked to go to the gay bar in the next town north of us and pretend to be gays in committed relationships. after the night was over, we were asked how long we thought we could keep the act up. then we were asked how long we would tolerate keeping the act up if social norms required it. it was a pretty interesting social experement. completly changed my view of gays being ok, as long as they kept it to themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Hooded Justice View Post
                        I personally love the irony of a group of people who traditionally fight really hard for social acceptance as equals deciding to self segregate.
                        I see this irony as well, but you have to understand what was fought for: opportunity. Civil rights is about going from "You cannot live anywhere but here," to, "I can live anywhere I can afford, but I WANT to be with like-minded people."

Originally posted by white_kimbo View Post
                        it was a pretty interesting social experement. completly changed my view of gays being ok, as long as they kept it to themselves.
                        I'd love to see an experiment like that. Also, in regards to your view, do you ask that they keep it to themselves by not hitting on you, or by not showing any indication of their tendencies in public (i.e. - displays or descriptions of affection, overly flamboyant "gay" attitude)? Because I'd see no problem with the first idea - just like ugly or annoying people.

Comment

I'm pretty sure these guys have been discussed before on here.
                          I tried to search, but you'd be astonished how many threads pop up when you search "gay jujitsu".

There are gay soccer, rugby teams & clubs etc and the reasoning I've heard is that the participants feel more comfortable training with people who might understand eachother better.
                          Where there is only a choice between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence.

Gandhi

Comment

Originally posted by Arjuna View Post
                            I'd love to see an experiment like that. Also, in regards to your view, do you ask that they keep it to themselves by not hitting on you, or by not showing any indication of their tendencies in public (i.e. - displays or descriptions of affection, overly flamboyant "gay" attitude)? Because I'd see no problem with the first idea - just like ugly or annoying people.
                            my attitude in the past was that i didn't give two shits or a fuck about if a guy or girl was gay, but i didn't want to know about it at all. i thought it was grossly inappropriate to discuss.

after that experiment, and some intropsection, i decided that i didnt care at all unless the gay guy in question was rollerblading down the street in nothing but a pink speedo and doused in vegitable oil while blasting techno remixes of culture club songs. i still have a problem with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Lu Tze View Post
                              If I only knew you from a 1-2 day a week MA class, I'd feel pretty uncomfortable if you went into detail about your sex life. When does it even come up in casual conversation?

Maybe you got shit because of your lack of discretion, not because of your preferences?
                              The people in my MA class don't know (in fact, what i was talking about happened before i started MA). These were people quite well, and it was brought up in context.

Nothing to do with lack of discretion.

Besides, why are you assuming i went "into detail" in the first place?

Originally posted by white_kimbo View Post
                              i'm 100% hetero, and i'd rather grapple with a gay man than a woman. but i do know, that the BJJ players at my fitness center would call me a fag if they ever heard me say that. they would also probably say they had no problems with gays coming to the club, but the first time one did.....

i participated in an experement in sociology 201 in college where a bunch of straight guys were asked to go to the gay bar in the next town north of us and pretend to be gays in committed relationships. after the night was over, we were asked how long we thought we could keep the act up. then we were asked how long we would tolerate keeping the act up if social norms required it. it was a pretty interesting social experement. completly changed my view of gays being ok, as long as they kept it to themselves.
                              That's a really interesting study.

I'm with you on prefering to roll with a gay man than a woman.

I don't care if they're gay or not ("i've got loads of friends who are gay"), but i'd think a guy would be a closer match competition wise.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X