Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newb doesn't know

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Newb doesn't know

    Hello. I'm a newbie. I have NO martial arts experience at all, but I want to try fighting someone in a competitive setting. I'm pretty old for a beginner, late 20's, so I don't know if this is realistic at all. I know that just about anyone in the world would kick my ass, and I'm extremely weak and have an incredibly low pain tolerance, so I want to do some training first. I have no idea how to go about this, though. I can't just walk into a MMA gym and ask to train, so what should I do to work up to that point?

    Oh yes, glad you guys have this forum here. I've been on the recieving end of lots of speeches from asian-wannabe gamers about the "True Way", pressure points, chi, Samurai Swords cutting through tanks, etc. I know next to nothing about martial arts, but I am a rationalist, so I'm glad there's a place where that stuff gets taken down.
    Last edited by wuss; 3/25/2009 1:55am, .

    #2
    Originally posted by wuss View Post
    I can't just walk into a MMA gym and ask to train
    Why not?

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by SkipSmith View Post
      Why not?
      Don't MMA gyms generally require a high level of previous experience before they accept someone to train there?

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by wuss View Post
        Don't MMA gyms generally require a high level of previous experience before they accept someone to train there?
        nope. walk right in, tell them you have no previous experience whatsoever but you would like to start training. it's pretty uncommon for a gym to train only elite MMA competitors. they should have some experience in training total noobs. it can't hurt to ask.

        and no way in hell you're too old, unless you've ruined your knees, shoulders and spine from playing other sports. your body should be pristine. by your description you probably look like a 15 year old boy. go get choked and punched in the face, it'll do you a world of good.

        Comment


          #5
          If you don't want to jump straight into MMA, try boxing, muay Thai, judo, BJJ or kyokushin karate. These all have a strong competitive element, and commonly have plenty of adult beginners. Look arround and you should find a place where they push you to toughen up, without being a bunch of testosterone driven assholes.

          Comment


            #6
            Well, I've looked around, and found three schools/gyms in my local area that look interesting.

            First is "Peninsula Thai Kickboxing", a Muay Thai gym that also has BJJ classes. It's within walking distance, but I can't find anything out about it other than a post from one instructor criticizing kickboxing that didn't include legkicks and knees, which doesn't sound bad.

            Second is a place called "Fearless Fitness", also within walking distance. They have MMA classes, and have WMA in the Liechtenaur school, which I used to practice. Unfortunately, they look like they're really trying to appeal to the soccer mom/cardio kick type crowd. But they do have students that compete, so I won't judge until I see.

            Third is the Fairtex gym in Mountain view. They have a lot of name recognition, but are also the furthest away, and from reviews more expensive than most. I'm going to try and go to look at any of the places that allow me to first, so I'm not going to make any hasty judgements, but If anyone has any suggestions, please send them.
            Last edited by wuss; 3/26/2009 6:19pm, . Reason: typo

            Comment


              #7
              sounds like you've got plenty of options. The muay thai place sounds like a good starting point. If its close by and not the most expensive place out there, it should make it easy for you to train there without making excuses for yourself. Try it (or something) out for a while and if you like it and stick with it you can eventually drive farther and pay more money to continue training the way you want.

              Comment


                #8
                I started at 20 and im slowly getting better so your not to old. Youve gotta be willing to stick at it though and not just duck out once it starts to get hard. Also make sure you have the time to train, thats my major problem at the moment.

                Comment


                  #9
                  I started in BJJ/Judo at 22. I have bad knees, my back is a mess and I'm drastically overweight.

                  I've competed, lost, gotten thrown, choked, arm barred, and pinned more times then I can count.

                  It's the most fun I've ever had and my only regret is not starting sooner.

                  Find a gym, and enjoy it.
                  I do not aspire to be great, or even good, I hope to suck a little less then last class.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by wuss View Post
                    Hello. I'm a newbie. I have NO martial arts experience at all, but I want to try fighting someone in a competitive setting. I'm pretty old for a beginner, late 20's, so I don't know if this is realistic at all. I know that just about anyone in the world would kick my ass, and I'm extremely weak and have an incredibly low pain tolerance, so I want to do some training first. I have no idea how to go about this, though. I can't just walk into a MMA gym and ask to train, so what should I do to work up to that point?

                    Oh yes, glad you guys have this forum here. I've been on the recieving end of lots of speeches from asian-wannabe gamers about the "True Way", pressure points, chi, Samurai Swords cutting through tanks, etc. I know next to nothing about martial arts, but I am a rationalist, so I'm glad there's a place where that stuff gets taken down.
                    I started at the same point. Late 20's, out of shape, skinny, hadn't fought much since grade school. As soon as I discovered the UFC I marched my ass right down to a gym that had Thaiboxing and BJJ and started training. Just do it. Don't worry about being clumsy or unathletic or looking stupid. You are going to be clumsy, unathletic and stupid looking. Do it anyway.
                    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie


                    KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

                    In De Janerio, in blackest night,
                    Luta Livre flees the fight,
                    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
                    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

                    Comment


                      #11
                      shit, i started at 29. im now 30 and there has been a world of difference. Id check out the first place you mentioned. They should give you at least 1 free class (almost anywhere will) good luck

                      Comment


                        #12
                        OP-

                        There's a Charles Gracie academy in Daly City and one in San Mateo. There's a school called Peninsula BJJ in Foster City.

                        You'd have to pick up some striking somewhere else, Fairtex probably being your best bet. But you'd do well to develop some physical fitness and mental toughness, and a good base of something before you try MMA.

                        Rudy Reyes > Bear Grylls

                        Comment


                          #13
                          I started MCdojang martial arts when I was 19. That was the first time I could atually afford it on my own. Before that my parents thought I would become a devil worshipping thug. I knew I wanted to do martial for years so I started stretching and doing cardio years before I could afford classes. I was hitting/kicking a heavybag (probaly not too good to do untrained) for years before I took a class. I imagined going to a martial arts school and thought everyone would be in super great shape, and be badass fighters. The first time I sparred at my mcdojang a blue belt said he'd go easy on me....by the end of the match he said he'd kick my ass if I hit him like that again. My point is it's not what you'd imagine. Not everyone there is gong to be a badass. TRy hard regardless of your fitness level and people will respect you (just don't be a douche). And anything is better than nothing.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by ignatzami View Post
                            I started in BJJ/Judo at 22. I have bad knees, my back is a mess and I'm drastically overweight.

                            I've competed, lost, gotten thrown, choked, arm barred, and pinned more times then I can count.

                            It's the most fun I've ever had and my only regret is not starting sooner.

                            Find a gym, and enjoy it.
                            Same here. Only 23 and ok body.

                            wuss good luck. train hard, stay safe.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              I'd check out that first school based on what you said here. Let us know how it goes.

                              Comment

                              Collapse

                              Edit this module to specify a template to display.

                              Working...
                              X