Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How soon can I start fighting in MMA events?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How soon can I start fighting in MMA events?

Ok so I have only done Bjj for about a year and I know I have a long way to go before I can step foot in any ring/cage but my question is how does one know when they are ready to fight in an event?

My contract for my current bjj school is almost up and I found a school nearby that made me kick myself for not looking around for schools thoroughly before I signed a contract. They had an event in Newark Nj with Jorge Patino in the main event and all of the fighters from their team (Gold Team) won their fights.

My friend who has better conditioning but similar skills in bjj as mines (judging from rolling with him all the time) signed up to their school and a few months later was asked if he wanted to fight. Is one year of bjj and 3-4 months of mma training enough to fight in any event?

Someone from my school told me that I shouldn't even think about fighting until I receive my purple belt in bjj.

Bullshido vs Sherdog or UG - No BS Martial Arts

If you're interested, they're setting up fights for total noobs like yourself. It's like against like so it's not like you're going up against a black belt or something.

Comment

amateur? sure. fight whenever

Comment

Partyboy, I'm currently doing pushups for trying to rep you for best avatar ever.

Comment

one of my coworker's brother in law is an MMA fighter, as is another coworker's best friend's husband. they both have told me, and others, that you really need a solid year of some style of grappling and a year of mma, then you can be confident in most promotions. don't know how true it is though as i'm not an mma fighter myself.

Comment

Alright cool looks like I might just do the whole Bullshido vs. Sherdog thing. I would not necessarily say I had a solid year of grappling but looks like maybe I'll train for one more year before I sign up to anything.

Thanks again guys you are always helpful =D

Comment

In my school I heard purple or better as well.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
              X