BJJ Article Idiocy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ignatzami View Post
    I love the idea that BJJ somehow originated in India.
    It was a typo.

They meant "Egypt"

Comment

Originally posted by ignatzami View Post
      I love the idea that BJJ somehow originated in India.
      I actually read an interview with Rickson in Yoga Journal where he said the same thing.
      "You know what I like about you, William? You like guns AND meditation."

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
        It was a typo.

They meant "Egypt"
        The "Black Athena" thesis applied to MA, eh?

The only problem with that is. . .

. . . the pharohs were really wandering Korean warrior monks who conquered the local inhabitants. IT'S ALL KOREA!!!!! :hello2::hello2::hello2::hello2:
        Mushi mo atsui hodo
        Mushiatsui

Originally Posted by chuey
        ...Well fuck if that isn't the most anti-Mr. Miyagi shit I have heard in ages.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but
        Three rights make a left.

Comment

It was a typo.

They meant "Egypt"

Thats nonsense.

Hikuta came from Egypt.

Hikuta can help you defend yo'self against bears!

WHY WOULD THE EGYPTIANS NEED TO HUG EACHOTHER, IF THEY CAN KILL BEARS?

PROOF that I'm not a completely useless poster:
          http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...0&postcount=58

Originally posted by Cy Q. Faunce
          3moose1 is correct. Sig THAT, you fucker.

Originally posted by sochin101
          I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
          That is not conducive to passionate cunnilingus, my friend, let me assure you.
          Originally posted by HappyOldGuy
          I agree with moosey

Comment

Originally posted by kwan_dao View Post
            Erm... Judo is a Jiu Jitsu Ryu. In the early days of its founding it ran under a pletora of different names, including "Kano-Ryu", "Kodokan-Ryu" and simply "Jiu-Jitsu".

Which also explains why the Brazilians named their art Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. They learned from Judoka's who were still used to call their Judo "Jiu Jitsu".

Interesting, and I see a lot of people are saying this now. However, it just does not set with history.

The very fact that the 1886 police contest was to pit Kano's Judo against all other "jujutsu" styles shows that Kano held himself and his program apart from the jujutsu people of the day.

The only Kodokan people who used the term "jujutsu" we people such as Kimura and Madea who were prize fighting, something Kano forbade. In fact Kimura was kicked out of the Kodokan for prize fighting, and was not let back in until the late 1980's or early 1990's.

We have Madea's letters home, and to and from the Kodokan, he does not refer to himself that way. Moreover, the Gracies on their tapes claim Kimura to be a "world Jiujitsu champion." Problem is, no such world jiujitsu event ever took place.

Yes, in the 1930's and 1940's the term jujutsu with all its spellings were used, but not correctly.

Mr. Moto himself says at the end of one of his films that the term is Judo, not Jujitsu.

Hope that helps.
            "Out of every hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back." -- Hericletus, circa 500 BC

Comment

I sometimes feel that a Japanese person would laugh at this distinction were trying to make. I mean, literally translated, were trying to figure out whether BJJ came from the gentle way or the the gentle art right?

By the way, I DO understand that Kimura and Maeda were Judo guys...

Comment

Well the problem has always been the Gracies and how they speak of their art. I have an interview where they claim Judo was created to fool the people into believing they were getting the real effective techniques that they wanted to keep secret in jujitsu.

I think its that kind of thing that creates the problem.
                "Out of every hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back." -- Hericletus, circa 500 BC

Comment

I've heard of Helio claiming to be fighting "in the style of the samurai", but I didn't know it got to the point of claiming "Re4l S3kr3T JuJitsu". I guess I need to go back and read more of your Hist. of Judo/BJJ article....

Comment

It was a typo.

They meant "Egypt"
                    no, it was korea, in the year 134000000 b.c. the korean cavemen inscribed the secrets of all MA, the internet, and the internal combustion engine on astral papyrus that never decays.

see, you knew the part about papyrus, and thought it was the egyptians since they invented it, but you're wrong. the koreans invented that too.

Comment

Originally posted by But Rickson Says!!!
                      Jiu-Jitsu, which means gentle art is the oldest form of martial art. It originated in India more than 2000 years before Christ. It was created by monks who could not use any type of weapons to defend their lives against barbarian attacks. It spread through China, and eventually took root and was elaborated on in Japan becoming the first martial art style. The samurai clans in Japan adopted Jiu-Jitsu as their own traditional style to defeat an opponent regardless if the situation was striking, throwing or grappling. With the passing years, they split the techniques and developed other martial arts styles, such as judo, akido, karate, etc.
                      http://www.rickson.com/history.htm

Not that I have a dog in this fight or anything.
                      "You know what I like about you, William? You like guns AND meditation."

Comment

I was given to believe that the unarmed fightning was called 'kumi uchi' way back in the day; and that the Yagyu family demonstrated it as well as their muto dori for Tokugawa after he unfied Japan.

And that it was an taught as an acilliary subject b/c their primary weapon was to be the katana.

Comment

I love the Gracies and their art, but they really do need to stay away from history of MA prior to Maeda.
                          Mushi mo atsui hodo
                          Mushiatsui

Originally Posted by chuey
                          ...Well fuck if that isn't the most anti-Mr. Miyagi shit I have heard in ages.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but
                          Three rights make a left.

Comment

Originally posted by white_kimbo View Post
                            no, it was korea, in the year 134000000 b.c. the korean cavemen inscribed the secrets of all MA, the internet, and the internal combustion engine on astral papyrus that never decays.

see, you knew the part about papyrus, and thought it was the egyptians since they invented it, but you're wrong. the koreans invented that too.
                            Was this before or after the Koreans invented rock n'roll, Judo, love, and humility?

Comment

Man, so at judo tonight, i was rolling with one of the blackbelts (Ted. Mark, he misses you! Get in contact with him! Or...better yet, come to judo one wednesday night!)

After the roll, i said, "man, i sure wish i could find some of those judo BBs who suck on the ground. According to the internet, they are EVERYWHERE"

He lol'd, then proceeded to brutally throw me. Alot. Particularly a, "Hey, want to see him fall?" to my female friend who came along, and then a brutal de ashi barai.

And then he fixed my tai otoshi/uchi mata.

PROOF that I'm not a completely useless poster:
                              http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...0&postcount=58

Originally posted by Cy Q. Faunce
                              3moose1 is correct. Sig THAT, you fucker.

Originally posted by sochin101
                              I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
                              That is not conducive to passionate cunnilingus, my friend, let me assure you.
                              Originally posted by HappyOldGuy
                              I agree with moosey

Comment

Originally posted by kwan_dao View Post
                                Erm... Judo is a Jiu Jitsu Ryu. In the early days of its founding it ran under a pletora of different names, including "Kano-Ryu", "Kodokan-Ryu" and simply "Jiu-Jitsu".

Which also explains why the Brazilians named their art Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. They learned from Judoka's who were still used to call their Judo "Jiu Jitsu".
                                *subscribe*

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X