Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you tell me an efficient, slightly dirty martial art from Asia/Far East?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you tell me an efficient, slightly dirty martial art from Asia/Far East?

I'm trying to find a martial art that perhaps is a little bit less arty and more to the point -- efficient in close combat, not a lot of strokes, and maybe is a little bit like fighting dirty (the last part is optional). Must come from Asia or the Far East (no Krav Maga, for example). Thanks so much!

Welcome amely!

I think muay thai might be right up your alley.

Comment

Originally posted by amely View Post
      Must come from Asia or the Far East (no Krav Maga, for example).
      Why does it have to come from "Asia or the Far East"?

Comment

What is the difference between the Far East and what we normally think of as Asia?
        also
        /parrot Kyokushinkai karate, Muay Thai

SQUAWK
        Hatred is gained as much by good works as by evil. - Machiavelli

Comment

Any Philipino art.
          Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Comment

Kali?
            " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Comment

Originally posted by JKDChick View Post
              Any Philipino art.
              damn beat me to it.:XXbazooka
              :new_all_c

Comment

Originally posted by Ian G.R. View Post
                What is the difference between the Far East and what we normally think of as Asia?
                In the U.K., sometimes people say "Asia", when they mean the just the Indian Subcontinent.

Amely, beware of martial arts that claim to teach lethal dirty moves, as these tend to be very difficult to train. Pretending to bite or eye-gouge your opponent is not the same as actually doing it. Not by a long shot.

I think you're better off getting a base in a martial art that uses moves you can practice repeatedly against a fully resisting opponent. Once you know how to punch/throw/choke somebody who really doesn't want to be punched/thrown/choked, figuring out how to poke them in the eye or kick them in the balls shouldn't be too difficult.

Comment

Falling under JKDChick's response;

Since you said something equivalent to Krav, I'd recommend Panantukan & Dumog.

Comment

Muay Thai.

I'm trying to find a martial art that perhaps is a little bit less arty and more to the point -- efficient in close combat, not a lot of strokes,
                    Oh, whoops. There isn't really that much strokin' in Muay Thai.

TKD?

Comment

Must come from Asia or the Far East (no Krav Maga, for example). Thanks so much!
                      choosing a martial art based on the area it came from is one of the worst plans possible. it's unfortunately common, but that doesn't make it any better of a plan.

i cannot think of a single legit reason to favor one art over another based on national origin.

your decision should be based on what school/gym in your area has the best program for you and your needs. you should attend trial classes at the available schools, and then make your decision based on those experiences.

any other plan of action is pure folly.
                      "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
                      "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
                      "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
                      "Seriously, who gives a fuck what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Comment

Muay Thai looks good -- I like the use of "8 limbs." Any of the mentioned martial arts also use the head as a weapon?

Comment

Originally posted by JKDChick View Post
                          Any Philipino art.
                          I'll have you know that the Philipinos bathe as much as anyone else.
                          Muay Thai looks good -- I like the use of "8 limbs." Any of the mentioned martial arts also use the head as a weapon?
                          Just about all the arts use 'head butt to the face' as a response to grab. Controlling the head is more interesting, like grab the beard and the back of the head and craaank.
                          Last edited by patfromlogan; 2/20/2009 10:00am, .
                          "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Comment

Krav Maga does. . .

I'm pretty sure Panantukan includes headbutts as well.

What's in your area?
                            Last edited by Eudemic; 2/20/2009 1:23pm, .

Comment

Originally posted by DerAuslander108 View Post
                              Falling under JKDChick's response;

Since you said something equivalent to Krav, I'd recommend ... Dumog.
                              Ooo! Ooo! Pinching and biting! Nice and dirty ;)
                              Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
                              Luta Livre flees the fight,
                              Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
                              Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X