• Time
  • Show
Clear All

$225 doesn't seem that bad

Re the capture card, there are others available

http://shop.ebay.com/items/_W0QQ_nkw...Q_fromZQQ_mdoZ

US sellers as well

Comment

$225 is a good price, but then again, i'm not sure how many people are going to order.

I don't know. I want to get the first seminar out there, so I can see what i'm working with, in terms of demand.

I hope i get that footage soon, or i'll be a very sad moosey...

PROOF that I'm not a completely useless poster:
      http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...0&postcount=58

Originally posted by Cy Q. Faunce
      3moose1 is correct. Sig THAT, you fucker.

Originally posted by sochin101
      I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
      That is not conducive to passionate cunnilingus, my friend, let me assure you.
      Originally posted by HappyOldGuy
      I agree with moosey

Comment

I didn't realize that Mark was on here! That's fantastic. I guess I want info when you are done! [email protected]

Comment

Count me in.
          I feel like you eye-bawlin' me, dawg!

Comment

Originally posted by lkfmdc View Post
            I didn't realize that Mark was on here! That's fantastic. I guess I want info when you are done! [email protected]
            Search for flim flam my old friend!
            "Out of every hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back." -- Hericletus, circa 500 BC

Comment

I'm in.

Comment

If the pricing stays around the estimate, I'm definitely in and will try to spread the word to friends. MTripp has been a treasure here and I'd kill (or at least pay a modest price) for his seminar footage.

Comment

It seems like everything is finally coming together!

Now all i have to do is get Jon's film....

I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
                  I agree with moosey

Comment

Originally posted by 3moose1 View Post
                    It seems like everything is finally coming together!

Now all i have to do is get Jon's film....
                    Nice, here's hoping you found a better deal than $225. I was thinking about how I would do it if you needed me, and I thought it would be a great idea to make each technique directly accessible through a scene selection menu. Specifically, make each section of the seminar a title (in DVD mastering terms) and each technique a chapter within its respective title. In fact, the more I think about it, my only weak spot in doing the conversion would be making decent art for the menus.

Anyway, you might want to pass that idea on to whomever is going to do the conversion.
                    Originally posted by Snake Plissken
                    cuz FastPass on Indiana Jones was like being a ghetto rock star.
                    Originally posted by Kiko
                    But graffiti isn't a bowl of fruit...
                    Originally posted by Robstafarian
                    Merely insulting you is not an ad hominem fallacy: them calling you an idiot would be ad hominem if they said "You are an idiot, therefore your argument is invalid."

What is instead happening is thus:
                    1. Your argument is bullshit.
                    2. You keep repeating, and expanding upon, your argument.
                    3. Therefore, you are an idiot.

That isn't an ad hominem fallacy; that's inductive reasoning.

Comment

Well, the problem with that, is its a seminar, and thus everything tends to flow together. Breaking it up would be...difficult. I would break the seminar into 3 sections, the takedowns, ne waza, and MMA sections, and then let people go from there.

Its looking like Phrost can edit the 2-14 Seminar, and i've found someone else who can convert the vhs tapes to DVD, which i'll then assume Phrost can (hopefully) edit.

Only question now is production...

Perhaps if enough is made, i could set some aside to produce a Mark Tripp instructional tape...

I agree with moosey

Comment

The benefit of using the titles and chapters method is that allows the viewer to start at the beginning and watch the seminar flow normally, start at the beginning of a section (such as newaza) and watch to the end of the seminar, or skip straight to a technique they want to see again (possibly as a refresher before going to class). It would also make it easier for someone to rip a particular technique to some other video format--by permission of the copyright holder, or within the limits of Fair Use, of course.

Dividing the work flow into three phases (VHS to digital video, editing the digtal video, then mastering the DVD) and among three different parties creates some questions which will need to be answered:
                        1. Should the person who takes the video from the VHS tapes encode the video before it gets to Phrost for editing?
                        2. How could the raw (non-encoded) digital video be sent to Phrost if he needs it (we're talking about several GB per hour)?
                        3. When the DVD is mastered, will we make a version for customers in PAL contries (such as Australia)? If the answer is yes, the video should be encoded at 23.976p (or 23.98p, if that's the closest option in the software).

Speaking of PAL countries, remember that the DVD should be mastered without region encoding.

As for the actual production, all you need is a DVD burner, blank DVDs, and spare time. Empty DVD cases can be bought in bulk, but I admit that printing the covers is outside my expertise.
                        Last edited by Robstafarian; 2/19/2009 12:39pm, . Reason: Fixed a typo.
                        Merely insulting you is not an ad hominem fallacy: them calling you an idiot would be ad hominem if they said "You are an idiot, therefore your argument is invalid."

Comment

Much gibberish, that was.

While i can't deny the benefit of having the ability to skip to individual techniques, I'm not sure how good it would look, and hell, i'm not even sure of all the names :p.

1.What does "encode" mean?
                          2. If its on DVD, i assumed i'd mail it to him.
                          3. What does "mastered" mean?

I agree with moosey

Comment

I am definitely more interested in the torrent Idea, because then I can just throw them on a USB drive and take it and my laptop to some mat space.

Also, as there would be no cost for DVDs or shipping, slight discount perhaps?

Comment

Shipping would be in addition to the prices listed.

Though, I will give a discounted price to people who opt to d/l it.

I agree with moosey

Comment

Originally posted by 3moose1 View Post
                                Much gibberish, that was.

While i can't deny the benefit of having the ability to skip to individual techniques, I'm not sure how good it would look, and hell, i'm not even sure of all the names :p.

1.What does "encode" mean?
                                2. If its on DVD, i assumed i'd mail it to him.
                                3. What does "mastered" mean?
                                I figured we might could get the names from Mark, but we can go over that stuff via PM. I am posting all this production talk here so other people can comment if they have ideas. Now, on to your questions:
                                1. "Encode" means taking the video from the VHS tapes, which by itself isn't any particular type of video file, and making it into a file that some software knows how to play. Video can be encoded to a type of file (like MPEG2, which DVDs use), a picture resolution, and a frame rate. The choices you make for each of those options determine what you're ultimately making: a DVD or a video for YouTube, for example.
                                2. You can put non-encoded video on a data DVD (the kind computers read), but the the non-encoded files can be VERY large and might not fit on a DVD.
                                3. "Mastering" means turning your MPEG2 files into a DVD. This is done by adding menus, assigning MPEG2 files to titles or chapters, and assigning the region of the world to which the DVD belongs (your DVD will belong to the whole world, so that last step will be skipped).

To avoid overloading you again, I'll save discussing PAL video until you're straight on the rest.
                                Last edited by Robstafarian; 2/19/2009 1:04pm, . Reason: Fixed potentially confusing wording.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X