Kung fu for lyfe aka. Temple Kung Fu.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kung fu for lyfe aka. Temple Kung Fu.

So I've been looking for something about this on here and sofar have come up empty...

Ok so back in the day I used to attend Temple kung fu, which was a hardcore Mcdojo, along the norhtern west coast of US, and Canada.

Now they claimed they taught the 5 animal systems of kung fu leading to tiger style (white tiger), but in actuality it's a Kempo system, they featured Kempo forms, along with Stick Forms, Lung/Dragon forms, and some other "soft" style forms at the time known as the 18 temple motions. This was an extreme cultist style american martial arts the original founder of this school was Grand master Simon who's first name is eluding me atm. The guy originally came from Holland and supposedly trained originally in China. Now I've seen some of the Kempo schools in Holland and they seem to be more accurate I'll say in their art.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now 5 years after Temple Kung Fu has closed, one of Simons original disciples (was originally a master in the old school) who was "betrayed" by his master left the school, then took over the old business after the dust cleared has now reopened the studio under the new moniker "Kung fu for life". They're still purporting they're teaching you kung fu, they hide it behind the gues that the word kung fu means excellence and you can kung fu anything IE. Guitar, work, art... yadda yadda, anyways they're still teaching the Kempo system but have placed a LARGE number of corrections into the forms and motions, and the new grandmaster is highly skilled, or at least far more skilled and accurate than the former master, they don't have a new junior instructor every week, and they've removed a lot of the cultist style elements that were in place before. They still want a large amount of money to train, and it still takes 3.5- 5 years to attain a black belt, if not longer, but all that aside I don't really care, the workouts are great and I really enjoy the people.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm wondering if anyone knew anything about the old Mcdojo and how much of the actual Kempo style survived, or whether it was mixed from various arts I don't know if any "softness/internal" style are in the Kempo system Chinese or American. Now that they've "fixed" they're current teachings I'd just like a little insight on what I'm learning.
    Last edited by chronoz; 2/06/2009 8:38pm, .

Did you try the search function?

http://www.google.com/cse?cx=partner...g+fu&sa=Search

Comment

You've been a martyr to that phrase lately Steve....

Comment

lol gdammit, guess I need to read better, or learn to use search better

Comment

Try using the Google custom search, I'm reliably informed it works better.

Comment

Originally posted by JingMerchant!
            You've been a martyr to that phrase lately Steve....
            I know, I know. Thought I'd go easy on the new guy since he actually created a thread with some content.

Welcome to Bullshido, Chronoz.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve
              I know, I know. Thought I'd go easy on the new guy since he actually created a thread with some content.

Welcome to Bullshido, Chronoz.

lol thanx, I tried searching on some info about the new school, either they're too new, no ones pissed off yet, or I still suck at searching, anyways my bigggest question is on if anyone can within reason identify what I'm learning.

was the Simon system pure Kempo, "Shaolin" kempo, American Kempo, a Mutt style or what..?

Btw the new Grandmaster is Piercy, his son is the head instructor of the Calgary location. Grandmaster was on hand a lot for the first little while, now you mainly see him only on advanced class days, presumably he works another job. And is possibly managing the Spokane location. If anyone remembers him from TKF I'd like to hear your thoughts and impressions on him.

His wife/ex wife is the second master of the school and tends to teach in the mornings, she specializes in the soft style Tai chiesque teachings, and will occasionally drop in and work the crap out of the students for the occasional skills class (in the evening).

The current teachers of the school have been farily consistent and haven't changed in the year and half I've been going, except one teacher left, that they still haven't been able to replace, or quite get over the loss of yet.

Also the other Temple kung Fu in Calgary has since closed, and the old TKF is officially dead. (sorry Crossman, u should have left Simon when the opportunity was there.)
              Last edited by chronoz; 2/06/2009 9:28pm, .

Comment

found a lil bit anyone can elaborate.?

Originally posted by Bang!

TKF claims to teach a hybrid of southern and northern styles of kung fu, but is widely believed to be an amalgam of Parker Kenpo and pieces of various kung fu styles cobbled together by the chain's founder, Olaf Simon (that's "His Holiness, the present Dalai Seng Shi, Grand Master Simon, Upholder of the 23rd succession of the Tookien Shaolin Monastery" to you).

Comment

Chronoz, read through this thread. It has a transcript of when Olaf Simon was taken to court for fraud (IIRC).

BTW, I am quite familiar with the Temple Kung Fu as I was a "Head" Instructor for a school in WA state. I left because I was disgusted with the McDojo nature of the system (this all happened about 12 years ago). I don't really care to discuss details about it anymore, TKF has been talked about to death already on these boards.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                  X