Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you mean when you say you train MMA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you mean when you say you train MMA?

I've noticed that there are several members who list MMA in their style field. I'd like to know when you say you train MMA are you saying:

1. I train for a specific rules set that encompases both standing and ground fighting

2. I train in a MA that is a combination of striking and grappling arts but does not teach the full ciriculum of either art.

3. I train in striking and grappling as complete and independant arts but say MMA because its shorter

4. I train in a single MA that is a combination of the full ciriculums for the striking/grappling source arts

I'm really just trying to get a handle on what the term MMA has actually come to refer to, a style itself, a rules set, or an easier way to say I train in blah blah and blah.

If someone tells me they "train MMA" I take it to mean that they are pursuing MMA ruleset competency and therefore are studying BJJ, Sambo, Catch, Greco or some other grappling and MT or some other striking specifically for competition ( kick ass cardio and strength training as well). I take an art that has stand up and grappling and we spare full contact, do randori and submissions but I wouldn't say I train MMA. It does seem that some parts of the MA community has not caught on that Mixed Martial Arts (BJJ and MT) is different than Mixed up Martial Arts (TKD and Taijutsu).

Comment

For what its worth, I assume they are training for the modern rule set. Anything else is BS. If there is a legitimate other option I would be very curious to hear it. So for me option 1 is legit, 2-4 not so much. Even if its good stuff its not an accurate description.

Comment

I train a unified martial arts curriculum designed to be self defense effective at all ranges, and which can also be used effectively in MMA competition. It's influences include western boxing, muay thai, wrestling, crazy monkey boxing, judo, and BJJ. I supplement that with dedicated Judo and BJJ classes.

Pick a number.

Comment

I train two completely separate, non-similar martial arts that utilize leverage and grappling in order to subdue and submit larger, stronger opponents. These different, dissimilar arts whose evolution occurred separately from each other specialize in choke holds and joint locks in order to attain victory.

Comment

Wait, is it possible to learn the "full" curriculum of striking and grappling when training in one style MMA ?

IMO people who "train" MMA are jacks of all trades, masters of none. In pure striking skills a boxer / MT can outpunch them, and a pure BJJ / Sport Sambo will tap him out in a submission fight.

However under MMA rules someone who trains in MMA as one style or Combat Sambo would beat both because he is better rounded overall, and it should be that way, your strikes should set up for clinches and throws, and your grappling should set up for strikes or GnP, obviously you compromise a bit in both but the goal is different when you train.

when people say MMA i assume they train for striking and grappling WITH transition between them.

1 applies only if the training and sparring is done with transition.
            2 applies because thats what all single style MMA teaches, everything well enough.
            3 is okay if there is a part in training that concentrates on transition from both fields.
            4 doesnt exist

Comment

It means I train Muay Thai kick boxing, but am trying to give the most masculine and awesome impression.

Comment

I train BJJ and Kickboxing separately at the same gym, with transitional work done during and between classes (ground and pound in BJJ, wrestling against a cage/wall, kickboxing with takedowns allowed, etc.) I say BJJ specifically because I tend to make it to those classes more, and have trained more in the jits overall.

Comment

Fuck it, if you spar MMA rules regularly and competently, I'd say you're doing enough right that you get to say that.

Comment

Well, we never do straight mma rules. Closest I've done is the kickboxing with the takedowns or the odd jiu-jitsu days with light punches thrown in.

Comment

Originally posted by happyoldguy
                      I train a unified martial arts curriculum designed to be self defense effective at all ranges, and which can also be used effectively in MMA competition. It's influences include western boxing, muay thai, wrestling, crazy monkey boxing, judo, and BJJ. I supplement that with dedicated Judo and BJJ classes.

Pick a number.
                      That's weird, I'm exactly the same.

The place I train at used to be affiliated with Crazy Monkey, but isn't anymore. We have standup + clinch, RBSD and BJJ classes. I also cross-train in Muay Thai (quite occasionally) and Judo (trying to make it once a week; hard to fit around other training, though).

But since we have an integrated grading system at my BJJ gym now, and I don't train MT that often, I just call it BJJ and Judo.

Comment

Well, i list MMA in my style field because its easier than saying I train BJJ/Sub Grappling, Freestyle Wrestling and Thai boxing for an MMA ruleset.

Comment

I often just say 'I train in MMA' because it's easier than saying 'I train in boxing, BJJ and Judo.'

Comment

I always assume they train at an MMA club that teaches all aspects of MMA in the one class.

Comment

I always assume they train at an MMA club that teaches all aspects of MMA in the one class.
                              Yeah, I agree. But at the same time, it could be a situation like mine, where I train a few nights a week at the same place, which has a standup / clinch and BJJ class, often one after the other.

For instance, on Wednesdays I have BJJ for an hour, then standup / clinch for an hour, and then open mat. which is where most of my MMA-style sparring is done (if there's enough room; often dudes are rolling around everywhere :P)

But I don't really like the term MMA, to be honest. I've been trying for ages to think of a term to cover everything without using a term which is becoming cliche and is associated strongly with crap like TUF and Dana White.

So I just blanket term what I do as BJJ now, and don't bother calling it MMA; after all, it's all at the same place, which is advertised as a BJJ gym. Except for Judo, which I train elsewhere.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X