Stating the Judobvious

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stating the Judobvious

It depends. If you want to learn Judo as a realistic street defense art then most people who attack you wear clothes so it makes sense to train with a Gi. Plus loads of Judo techniques like chokes etc use the GI so many Judo techniques are specifically designed for clothing (ie many chokes and strangles use the collar) . If you want to go into MMA then theres no reason not to adapt some Judo techniques for no - gi - however making Judo throws work No gi does not necessarily make them more "realistic" especially considering the sprung floor of the Octagon .
    I often wonder what MMA would look like if everyone was forced to wear a Gi ........
    Last edited by Gustard; 2/03/2009 6:09pm, .

Originally posted by Gustard
    I often wonder what MMA would look like if everyone was forced to wear a Gi ........
    It would look like combat SAMBO. That is to say, fucking awesome.

Comment

Excised from: Judo in MMA Redux - No BS Martial Arts

It depends. If you want to learn Judo as a realistic street defense art then most people who attack you wear clothes so it makes sense to train with a Gi. Plus loads of Judo techniques like chokes etc use the GI so many Judo techniques are specifically designed for clothing (ie many chokes and strangles use the collar) . If you want to go into MMA then theres no reason not to adapt some Judo techniques for no - gi - however making Judo throws work No gi does not necessarily make them more "realistic" especially considering the sprung floor of the Octagon .
      While your points are essentially valid, they are very basic. Basic discussion does not belong in DHS
      Last edited by jnp; 2/03/2009 11:32pm, . Reason: fixed link
      Shut the hell up and train.

Comment

I just wanted to be the third poster in a row who has a bunch of little green things. Just for the design and flow of the thread.
        "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Comment

fixed
          Last edited by Lindz; 2/04/2009 2:15am, .

Comment

Originally posted by fug
            I just wanted to be the third poster in a row who has a bunch of little green things. Just for the design and flow of the thread.
            You're swell.
            I liked that.

Comment

At our Judo Dojo, Sensei taught Kodokan Judo and traditional Jujitsu. Your testing was in both arts. Randori was especially fun because once you hit the mat you had all kinds of techniques to ue. regular no-gi sessions also helped. The fact that most of us were military and/or law enforcement helped an awful lot for converting technique to the street. I know those sessions saved me a few times.

Comment

I see your point. I advise people to do boxing, kempo or karate because most people who attack you have bodies and most people who do these arts also have bodies, including hands that can be made into fists and move with the arm toward the body of the attacker.

Makes sense.
                "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Comment

Throw all of this realism out the door when suddenly attacked by a wild band of Tobys in wheelchairs and ortho boots.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                  X