• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to pwn a Taekwondoka

Hi all,

This week's lighter side:

A friend of mine, a TKD black belt, has misunderstood
    my question for a friendly sparring session for a gong sao challenge (MMA style).

Though we have not set the modalities, I guess we will have our fight in the next month.
    (Yeah, should this come to play out, I'll provide a video - without CGI effects, this time!)

Since he is usually very convinced of his skills, and at least one weight class above me,
    I think I'd like to pawn him a bit, and consciously attack him with some techniques he doesn't train.

So, my question is, what techniques are not part of the TKD canon?
    - I understand traditional TKD practicioners do not do grappling at all
    and don't know arm or leg locks.

Also, since my TKD experience is fairly small, what will I have to do expect from him except a flurry of kicks and straight center punches?

Yours,

Rafe
    www.childsplaycharity.org

When I first sparred outside of TKD world, face punches, spinning back fists, really took their toll on my head till I got my hands up.

Not sure of the rule set. But jamming kicks is almost unheard of too.

Comment

If he's training WTF style, use some decent boxing, elbows, knees and lowkicks for stand-up, then takedown for some grappling.
      Most important, close the distance so he loses a lot of his kicking ability.
      Originally posted by Jiujitsu77
      You know you are crazy about BJJ/Martial arts when...
      Originally posted by Humanzee
      ...your books on Kama Sutra and BJJ are interchangeable.
      Originally posted by jk55299 on Keysi Fighting Method
      It looks like this is a great fighting method if someone replaces your shampoo with superglue.
      The real deadly:

Comment

leg kick the fuck out of him.
        i have never known a single tae kwon do player who can take those.
        also, sweeps/throws. if do right, no can defense (if your fighting a tkd player).

EDIT: zendokan is right, WTF TKD does nothing to prepare you for someone getting all up in your grill with knees or elbows.

Comment

Originally posted by Zendokan
          If he's training WTF style, use some decent boxing, elbows, knees and lowkicks for stand-up, then takedown for some grappling.
          Most important, close the distance so he loses a lot of his kicking ability.
          Traitor...

Okay ...giving some helpful hints fine....not the deed to the home...

Bitter much?

Comment

For the most part, unless he goes to the 1% of good TKD schools that 95% of the Taekwondoka go to, he would be open to leg kicks and face punches.

Comment

Is TKD the only thing he has trained in?

Comment

Originally posted by white_kimbo
                leg kick the fuck out of him.
                i have never known a single tae kwon do player who can take those.
                also, sweeps/throws. if do right, no can defense (if your fighting a tkd player).
                Here's one.

Comment

If he gets the sideways stance on you, leg kick the shit out of him on his backside. Not kicking him in the ass, but on the back of his legs.

There really isn't a good way to defend that, and that's why us smart ones square up.

Comment

Do this :

YouTube - Muay Thai vs TKD

until you get bored. The do this:

YouTube - MMA vs. TKD Round One
                    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
                    Luta Livre flees the fight,
                    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
                    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

Comment

Originally posted by 7thSamurai
                      Here's one.
                      let me qualify my statement better.

i have never known a single tae kwon do player, who has never studied another style, who can take/defend leg kicks.

Comment

Originally posted by KO'd N DOA
                        Traitor...

Okay ...giving some helpful hints fine....not the deed to the home...

Bitter much?
                        Not with the art, just with the politics in the KMA scene.
                        Originally posted by Jiujitsu77
                        You know you are crazy about BJJ/Martial arts when...
                        Originally posted by Humanzee
                        ...your books on Kama Sutra and BJJ are interchangeable.
                        Originally posted by jk55299 on Keysi Fighting Method
                        It looks like this is a great fighting method if someone replaces your shampoo with superglue.
                        The real deadly:

Comment

Catch and trip those legs, you don't even have to follow to the ground. Do it enough times and he'll be afraid of kicking. Then he's all yours.

Comment

First thing to remember is that not all TKDers are created equal.
                            Second thing is that underestimating any fighter gives them a distinct advantage.
                            A friend of mine, a TKD black belt, has misunderstood
                            my question for a friendly sparring session for a gong sao challenge (MMA style).
                            And what's wrong with correcting his mistake? If he's a friend, why the need for a gong sau?
                            You can still spar hard without it being all dramatic.
                            Where there is only a choice between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence.

Gandhi

Comment

Any techniques shown here will work on most TKDers:

YouTube - Jemaine Clement - Action Fighter

If your friend does actually train in other arts besides TKD, though, I would suggest not doing them.
                              Originally posted by Nicko1
                              Martial Talk is not neutral, it's just neutered.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X