Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Point sparring and you!

Actually point sparring and me!

Barring any unforeseen consequences, I plan on competing in a point sparring karate tournament on Feb. 7th. I think it'll be awesome as hell.

No, i'm not trolling krotty, i just wanna go lightly kick people get lightly kicked in return.

Any tips/tricks i should be aware of?

Originally posted by 3moose1

Any tips/tricks i should be aware of?
    Cheat.

And if that fails, the crane kata will totally win it for you.

Comment

steriods

Comment

I don't know if you can depend on your opponent to hit you lightly.

Comment

Get a speaker playing "You're the Best Around." All tournament.

Or get Chuck Norris to help you, like in Sidekicks.

Comment

Be prepared to be extremely frustrated. Do your best not to snap and hit the judges. Doing things like kicking the legs, punching the face, etc. are illegal usually, but if you make it look like an accident and only do it once, it's just a warning.

But seriously, what point sparring rules exactly? There are TONS of cheap, stupid tricks in New Jersey to be employed depending on the specific rule set.

Comment

yeah! have fun, and side kick back fist........side kick back fist...........side kick back fist....get the point?

Comment

this is all i've found on rules

http://www.michigansportkarate.com/divisionsrules.htm

Nothing about leg kicks.

Comment

Hm...not terrible as point sparring goes. Sounds like leg kicks are allowed (but probably won't score points).

Expect to get a lot of dumb tippy-tap points scored on you. When that happens, just hit them hard at the same time. Do it again if they don't warn you. Your opponent will likely be too afraid of actual contact to try and hit you after.

Comment

How good is ur spinning back kick?

Comment

haha, thats the sort of dirty little secret i love bullshido for.

I don't think that tactic would work against me, though. I'm ok with getting hit, and have been kicked/punched/thrown/destroyed by some very talented kickers/punchers/throwers/destroyers.

This is going to be glorious, or terrible, and do believe there will be videos, my fine friends!

Comment

I love the "no Ground fighting" clause. You think some mma fans who were in karate tried to tackle somebody?

...How would you point spar in grappling?

....I must delve into this matter further.

Comment

Originally posted by hoodedmonk
                          How good is ur spinning back kick?
                          Eh, i can do one. its not very pretty, but i've landed them before.

Round house, switch kicks, side kicks and back kicks are probably my bread and butter, which i will be practicing sporadically when I am bored. I'm not too worried about hand techniques, and trust my meager boxing/kickboxing experience will come through for me on that front. I really would be surprised if anyone i "fought" threw a punch.

Comment

Lol, I just found out my coach is involved somehow.

Sometimes it feels weird training BJJ under a TSD black belt.

Comment

Originally posted by foxd
                              I love the "no Ground fighting" clause. You think some mma fans who were in karate tried to tackle somebody?

...How would you point spar in grappling?

....I must delve into this matter further.
                              You can sweep the front foot!

So, i'll have to learn how to do this, then i'll do it.

would O soto gari be a sweep? Or something more like de ashi harai?

I probably couldn't get grips, so i'd have to be off of a kick or a punch. I'll first LEARN de ashi harai, and then i'll try and learn how to use it.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X