To build off hard times

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To build off hard times

I am going to build off Steve's thread and urge those of us who own clubs to try this.

My club has been donating twice a year to various grass-root charities for several years now. As I mentioned in Steve's thread, we are a not for profit venture, so our proceeds go into supporting the club alone. We take a few dollars aside every month and twice a year find some charity.

In addition, we have gotten several other local businesses to match the funds we come up with. Then we all decide on the charity as a collective group. One of these businesses has gotten a few others on-board as well, every year it gets a bit more.

So, if you can try and get something like this going in your area, we have had great results. It is nice to walk into some charity and give them a check, no hoopla, no fuss.

Aaron Fields
    Sea-Town Sombo
    Seattle Jujutsu Club
    www.seattle-jujutsu.org

Since the idea of martial art gyms contributing to charities extends to all martial arts, and not just the ones that grapple, I'm moving this to YMAS. Hopefully, it will get more exposure there.

Here is a link to the thread Aaron Fields is referencing:

Tough Times Training Program at NY Combat Sambo - No BS Martial Arts
    Shut the hell up and train.

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron Fields
      I am going to build off Steve's thread and urge those of us who own clubs to try this.

My club has been donating twice a year to various grass-root charities for several years now. As I mentioned in Steve's thread, we are a not for profit venture, so our proceeds go into supporting the club alone. We take a few dollars aside every month and twice a year find some charity.

In addition, we have gotten several other local businesses to match the funds we come up with. Then we all decide on the charity as a collective group. One of these businesses has gotten a few others on-board as well, every year it gets a bit more.

So, if you can try and get something like this going in your area, we have had great results. It is nice to walk into some charity and give them a check, no hoopla, no fuss.

Aaron Fields
      Sea-Town Sombo
      Seattle Jujutsu Club
      www.seattle-jujutsu.org
      Sorry, you cannot give reputation to this post.

Please click here to go back to the previous screen.

I don't know how to tell you how great what you and Steve and Aesopian are doing. This reminds me of the old school days in Hawaii where no one who wanted to train was turned away from the dojo.

*edit* link to Steve's thread: Tough Times Training Program at NY Combat Sambo - No BS Martial Arts
      Last edited by patfromlogan; 2/04/2009 11:51am, .
      "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Comment

Fug,

Thank you for the kind words.

We as a community are more than the sum or our parts. My club has a strong tie to public service. Not only do we have a bunch of smoke eaters and bacon, but we also have a large group of people who prefer the non-commerical, blue collar feel and take pride in the donations the club makes every year.

I remember those days as well, nobody gets turned away, (unless they were of course a jackass.)

In reality the cost that a lot of clubs charge these days limits their population, based of socio-economics. That is not the case with us. I am a blue collar guy, I grew up poor, if my coaches had of held me over the fire regarding cost for lessons, I wouldn't be where I am.

I don't begrudge the guy trying to make his living off of teaching, but you can make a living and do the right thing.

I choose to surround myself with folks that think the same way, Steve, Serge, Gregg, and number of other folks.

If you are ever in Seattle, stop in for a practice.

Best Regards,
        Aaron Fields

Comment

ttt...
          "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
          X