Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

iPhone apps for martial arts

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    iPhone apps for martial arts

    I'm going to be updating this thread with iPhone applications for martial arts use that I will be trying out.

    If anyone else can recommend any, please put them here.

    #2
    :eusa_thin The only Iphone option I can think of is the googlemap tool, you can search for the school you want to go to and then find your way with it... other than that, I can't think of anything. But then again I only know 10 people who have an iphone and none of them is a MA practitioner.
    Sometimes you lose and sometimes the other guy wins.

    At this point I don't owe anybody an explenation.

    Schools I trained at:
    Lotus Club Cetepe Liberdade Sao Paulo
    Renzo Gracie NYC
    New York Combat Sambo

    Comment


      #3
      I have to try them out more, but the ones I know of are:

      Round timer
      Interval timer
      Ultra timer
      Judo (for scoring)
      Punch Power Meter

      Comment


        #4
        Punch Power Meter??

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Shadowdean
          Punch Power Meter??


          I'm guessing the app turns the iphone into an accelerometer.

          Comment


            #6
            Power Punch Meter??
            In summation your argument denotes a lack of intellectual honesty on your part. It is my contention that this matter would best be solved with fisticuffs. I believe I will be victorious in this regard.

            Comment


              #7
              Yeah, its free. Try it out.

              You put in your height and weight, punch three times as fast as you can, and it gives you the force. I don't really know how accurate it is.

              Comment


                #8
                This thread is stupid imho. If you have an iphone and you want to deffend your self with it you'd be stupid as fuck. It's the phone and the money that they're after, so throwing that fucker wont' work eyther. They also did a taser program where it looks and makes noises like a taser, still takes 2 minutes to start the program and by then the touch screen would have given it away.
                Originally posted by MrBadGuy
                The Dog kid's mom is parked next to me in the parking lot. He runs up and asks me a question. "Hey dude, where did you learn that stuff?"

                "That was grappling. Real MMA."

                "Where do I go for that?"

                I was a little shocked. Sure, he changed sides quickly, but I guess even a dog can realize it has more in common with the wolf than with the shephard.

                I give him the names of some BJJ schools in the area, and we go our separate ways.

                Comment


                  #9
                  You have to buy the case that turns it into a boomerang.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Scott Larson
                    I have to try them out more, but the ones I know of are:

                    Round timer
                    Interval timer
                    Ultra timer
                    Judo (for scoring)
                    Punch Power Meter
                    Just an FYI, I wrote RoundTimer, IntervalTimer, and UltraTimer. I also have EasyCounter which is a multi-item counter that I use to count sparring rounds and reps of push-ups to keep me on track.

                    So... I can recommend those (blatent, shameless self promotion) :-)

                    I use RoundTimer for sparring/rolling, the IntervalTimer for doing Tabata intervals, and the UltraTimer for circuit workouts (although UltraTimer can be used for exactly the same things as RoundTimer and IntervalTimer).

                    There are others out there as well that have about the same functionality as mine. As for other apps, I haven't found anything else that jumps out. The boxing apps are mostly just games and reflex 'training' (those are very big air-quotes).

                    Comment


                      #11
                      The phone already comes standard with the two best applications there can possibly be for self-defense.

                      It's got buttons 1 and 9
                      Go placidly amid the noise and haste,
                      and remember what peace there may be in silence.
                      As far as possible, without surrender,
                      be on good terms with all persons.
                      Speak your truth quietly and clearly;
                      and listen to others,
                      even to the dull and ignorant;
                      they too have their story.

                      -excerpt of the poem called "Desiderata," by Max Ehrman, 1927.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        I like the judo program. We used it for practice shiai a couple of times at my judo club before the novelty wore off.
                        Originally posted by sfritzinger
                        Just an FYI, I wrote RoundTimer, IntervalTimer, and UltraTimer. I also have EasyCounter which is a multi-item counter that I use to count sparring rounds and reps of push-ups to keep me on track.

                        So... I can recommend those (blatent, shameless self promotion) :-)

                        I use RoundTimer for sparring/rolling, the IntervalTimer for doing Tabata intervals, and the UltraTimer for circuit workouts (although UltraTimer can be used for exactly the same things as RoundTimer and IntervalTimer).
                        Props for writing a useful program. I registered and downloaded the iPhone SDK on release but haven't bothered doing anything of consequence with it yet. Was thinking of implementing a training journal with a voice notes function, but haven't had the time to sit down and properly plan it out. Will d/l and use the RoundTimer.

                        Thanks again.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by Scott Larson
                          Yeah, its free. Try it out.

                          You put in your height and weight, punch three times as fast as you can, and it gives you the force. I don't really know how accurate it is.





                          OK, one of you assholes owes me a new phone!
                          If you can't laugh at yourself,
                          Others will be happy to do it for you. :evil6:

                          The 2 most abundant elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity.


                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by Deadmeat
                            Props for writing a useful program. I registered and downloaded the iPhone SDK on release but haven't bothered doing anything of consequence with it yet. Was thinking of implementing a training journal with a voice notes function, but haven't had the time to sit down and properly plan it out. Will d/l and use the RoundTimer.

                            Thanks again.
                            No problem. I wrote those apps because they was something I needed. The fact that others find them useful is really nice. If anyone has any feature requests, PM me.

                            The SDK is actually really nice. I was surprised at how straight-forward it was to write for. But, I don't want to derail this thread so I'll just say it was worth it to me to set aside the time to learn.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              RunKeeper and Distance are decent apps for your cardio, and you can run them in the background while your ipod function runs.

                              I also DLed KickCounter, turns out to be something completely other than what I thought.

                              Comment

                              Collapse

                              Edit this module to specify a template to display.

                              Working...
                              X