Clear All

Try this place:

http://www.coopersgymusa.com/index.cfm?page=30
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

Comment

Originally posted by kastro
      watching that second video. I like this guys point of view so far. No nonsense. does judo/jujutsu have any striking aspect to it? Im curious to know if they spend any time developing innerpeace and self control. I have a hard time controlling my temper (not a rage-aholic, just get hot easily) and let little things get to me. My biggest thing is I dont know how to control my reactions. I had a friend who did Wing Chun in Florida that told me martial arts would be perfect for me.
      Any activity that forces you to start out as a sucky nub and gain proficiency by putting in lots of work over time will develop your character, a lot. It doesn't matter it it's karate, judo, football, or ping-pong. Stay humble and, in addition to trying your best to get better, try to be a good training partner for other people (it's almost a skill in-and-of itself). That + any decent school/teacher and you can't go wrong.

People recommend certain arts because they have the best track record of good vs. shitty training, but everyting really depends on the individual school that's in your area and how they train.
      Last edited by maofas; 1/22/2009 12:18pm, .

Comment

Originally posted by Frank White
        Hey, I was just saying something stupid to try to piss you off, don't get all mad.

Seriously, I got a temper too. Do a martial art where you get to hit stuff, and get a good workout. You need to "get it out your system". Boxing, muay thai, and judo are generally good stuff. All that anger's gonna lead to health problems later on. Work up a sweat hitting the heavy bag. It makes it a lot easier to ignore jackasses who say stupid shit to try to piss you off.

So are you named after that old mexican guy who smokes cigars?
        funny story how i got this nickname. I was in highschool and some retarded substitute teacher mispronounced my name so horribly and said kastro or castro, whatever. ever since, my friends have called me kastro...my real name is sandro...i know, nothing like it at all.

I am so overwhelmed by the response of everyone. thanks a lot guys, I was getting nowhere looking online for stuff, but youg uys have truly helped me on my path to finding the right martial art for me.

Han- I was talking about emotionally not physically. I let people get the best of me. I overreact to peoples bullshit. It probably does have to do with a confidence thing. I'm in decent shape physically, I work out and stuff, but that only works to a certain extent i believe.

Scott- I'm not trying to find "God" persay or something along those lines, I just want to be more focused, and less apt to overreact, more confident. (personal growth). I dont want to train at the Shaolin Temple and hover around and shit. I'll post some websites of dojo's/studios that I've been to or have been looking at.

I wonder if anyone from michigan is reading this thread....???
        heres the places I've already looked into/read about so far
        www.purpledragonstudio.com (guy is kind of a douche, wouldn't let me watch a lesson and wants 185/month)
        www.easternmartialarts.com - I'm not convinced these people are who they say they are.
        www.zenmartialarts.com - I've read a boatload of bad things about this place (cult-like activities)
        http://www.saitodojo.com/ -website seems kind of cheesy but its closer than most. schedule kind of sucks.
        http://www.detroitjiujitsu.com/about.html - this seems interesting dunno if its a bunch of meatheads tho, ill have to check up on that one.
        http://www.maunlimited.com/HOME.html this one seems pretty broad, but no judo.
        ukiyo martial arts...no website but have been on a few sites and heard of it
        finally http://www.umabjj.com this guy seems like hes selling something to me..Im not sure.

Thanks again guys. And i thought u guys were a bunch of assholes...wait, you are.

Comment

www.purpledragonstudio.com seems like it would be worth checking out. you said he won't let you observe a class (wierd); will he let you attend on as a trial? JKD schools can be a good place to start out because of the liberal exposure to alive MA's. Best bet at getting striking and grappling under one roof short of formal MMA training.

Comment

Here's a review for Detroit Jiu Jitsu:

Detroit Jiu jitsu academy - No BS Martial Arts

Comment

Originally posted by kastro
              www.purpledragonstudio.com (guy is kind of a douche, wouldn't let me watch a lesson and wants 185/month)

http://www.saitodojo.com/ -website seems kind of cheesy but its closer than most. schedule kind of sucks.
              http://www.detroitjiujitsu.com/about.html - this seems interesting dunno if its a bunch of meatheads tho, ill have to check up on that one.

http://www.maunlimited.com/HOME.html this one seems pretty broad, but no judo.
              ukiyo martial arts...no website but have been on a few sites and heard of it
              I only checked out these websites, since you seemed unsure of the others.

What's your price range? Cause that's gonna have a pretty big impact on things.

The mau place looks pretty good, and looks like a good way to get a variety of skills. And even if it doesn't have judo, it has BJJ, which is a derivitive of Judo.

Besides, one of the main reasons people recommend judo, is because it's widely available. but if you're found a bunch of non judo places, you don't necessarily have to go out of your way to get judo, unless judo is really what you want to do.

And if the schedule of any school sucks that badly, give it a second thought....no sense in paying for classes you're not going to.

I mean, detroit jiu jiutsu has a good enough deal where it's 100 per month, and you get 2+ classes. So, if you go a lot, you'll be saving. But...if you're not gonna go very often due to shitty schedule, it's not so good.

It did get a really good review on here though.

I wouldn't worry too much about the saitdojo website being cheesy, since it doesn't have too much impact on the classes themselves. The head instructor there (if i read it correctly) is a 7th dan in judo, and president of the USJF.Try to go to the classes of all these places, see if they'll let you watch a class and/or take a trial run first class. If the purply dragon place won't let you take a trial first class, i'd definitely write it off.
              Last edited by han090; 1/22/2009 6:28pm, .

Comment

That one joint Mau is offering Savate? Really?! I wonder if it's actually a decent program because, man, there's some inner part of my psyche that wants so badly to dress up in a unitard, with sequin flames running up and down the sides, and kick people in the head with my boots all day long.

Goddamn, I want a cigarette right now and I don't even smoke, oh yeah.

Comment

if u have alot of anger u want to get rid of i would suggest boxing or muay thai
                  (u get to hit alot of people and it gets exciting)
                  but for the mind thing i would do tai chi or yoga....
                  if ur into grappling u should try sambo
                  its very easy to grasp and very helpfull
                  look up combat sambo or sport sambo
                  somesambo instructors teach all kinds, i apologize if u dont like any arts i listed

Comment

Most places will let you have a week of free lessons if you sign a waiver.

Go test the waters.

Run away immediately if pressured to sign a contract.

Since it's hardly ever mentioned here - go try judo.

Comment

of course i agree with all the recommendations for judo, cheep available effective. a trifecta of awesomeness. brazilian jiu jitsu is lots of fun, very effective, and is becoming more available every day.

but, if you are like me, you will find a deep comfort and peace in punching and kicking the ever living shit out of everything that moves.

with all the suggestions for judo and bjj, don't forget to look into kickboxing.

Comment

Kastro, take some time and read about Goju ryu. More specifically Higaonna sensei. The requirements you have given in the beginning fit this style well, but you still need to decide it this is what you want to do. This is not a contact karate. It focuses a lot on kata. Kata is a way to teach you how to focus and developing your skills.

Comment

Don't do Judo, it's cheap and widely available, like potato chips. Try SanDa, it's high-end and hard to find, like cream cheese and caviar on a keiser roll. Plus you get to hit people before you throw them.

Comment

Check out classes at MAU and Detroit Jiu Jitsu. They're both cool places. I just started training at MAU for BJJ and really like it.

Comment

Check into 8-step preying mantis kung fu. I like it and it seems to be effective enough to protect your self if you had to, it has also helped me find my center.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X