Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

YMAS: I need info on Shingo-Ha Yoshukai Karate!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just thought I'd point out that 'Yoshukai' is a term used by at least two quite distinct organizations. There is US Yoshukai originally under Sensei Koda (apparently the ones this and the original thread concerns), and then there's also Yoshukai International (also US-based) under Sensei Foster. (The latter has since also split into Yoshukai International Karate and Yoshukai Karate International, apparently just to confuse the hell out of me and everyone else.)

I have no knowledge or experience with the former group, but I know all of the senior instructors in the Aussie & NZ dojos of the latter group and know them to be seriously skilled fighters and teachers who place a strong emphasis on serious contact sparring.

Comment

Someone was nice enough to let me know this thread existed, so I guess I'll throw my BOUNDLESS WISDOM into the ring.

I once commented on how my reach and size would be an advantage, but Mr. Gramling insisted that that wouldn't be the case: all he'd need to do was imply execute a forward-stepping vertical backfist and I would be vanquished. A backfist was his solution to closing a 3-6 foot gap. All while in cat-stance.

The end.

Comment

P.S. Jason Gramling is lame, and I would take his lunch money. Because I am arrogant.

The End. For real.

Comment

Originally posted by niseishi
          2. Karate chops...ever seen one used in MMA? Nope. Why not? Not allowed. Ever seen elbows to the back to defend against a takedown attempt in MMA? Not since Paul Varlans...why? They worked. Too well. MMA was in danger of getting shut down, so they had to make it safer and that also made matches longer lasting and more fun to watch. As someone who has knocked out at least ten people with light to medium impact "karate chops" I can tell you they're quick, mostly painless, and effective. So a trademark move of karate is not allowed in MMA because it ends things too quickly and for the most part humanely and...i admit....boringly....yet people say karate is crap because of MMA.
          Downward elbows are illegal according to the Unified Rules, it's true.

Karate chops are, however, allowed. Please
          a) Point to the part of the Unified Rules that forbids them
          and
          b) give details of any MMA fight ended by such a technique.

Comment

Hahaha!! I hate that I'm so many years late to this discussion. Having watched Jason Gramling chase instructors around the U.S. for years begging for rank, I can attest to his lack of knowledge.

Comment

Originally posted by yokogary View Post
              Having watched Jason Gramling chase instructors around the U.S. for years begging for rank. . .
              . . . . Are you a stalker?

Comment

Hahaha!! I hate that I'm so many years late to this discussion. Having watched Jason Gramling chase instructors around the U.S. for years begging for rank, I can attest to his lack of knowledge.
                You necro'ed something that died four years ago and that's all you got?

/bravo

Comment

I'm not a stalker at all; I just know Jason Gramling personally. Having just found bullshido, I thought I would throw in my two bits.

What else would you like, catfish? Don't be a douchebag....tell me what you want to know and I'll chime in. Otherwise, STFU.

Comment

Originally posted by catfishaggie View Post
                    You necro'ed something that died four years ago and that's all you got?

/bravo
                    I couldn't help myself. He's one of the worst "martial artists" I've ever had the honor of never speaking to again.

Comment

I'm not a stalker at all; I just know Jason Gramling personally.
                      There is something of a gap, though, between 'knowing someone personally' and 'following someone for years'. Just sayin'.

Comment

Originally posted by Eudemic View Post
                        There is something of a gap, though, between 'knowing someone personally' and 'following someone for years'. Just sayin'.
                        If you choose to play semantics and avoid the topic altogether, feel free. I did not say I "followed him for years." Learn to read--your interpersonal growth will be significant.

Comment

Don't be a douchebag....tell me what you want to know and I'll chime in. Otherwise, STFU.
                          The point people are trying to make, Yokogary, is that the etiquette round here for necroing threads is that you should add something new or significant.

The onus is on you, not catfish.

Comment

...your interpersonal growth will be significant.
                            Meaning what...that an individual's personalities will get along better?

Comment

If you choose to play semantics and avoid the topic altogether, feel free. I did not say I "followed him for years." Learn to read--your interpersonal growth will be significant.
                              How am I avoiding the topic? You said you'd been watching the guy for years, and I used "followed" in that sense; that he had held your attention, and that you were tracking his activities (or at least those relating to his MA ranking.) You don't need to be physically chasing your person of interest/prey to be stalking them. . .

Given that there are a lot of people here who aren't going to take you nearly as seriously as you take yourself, you'd do well to grow a thicker skin. Or have a better sense of humor.

(Can we just be friends, Mr. Stalker, now that we've both granted the other the boon of our wisdom?)
                              Last edited by Eudemic; 5/18/2013 9:08am, . Reason: For clarity.

Comment

How can he play semantics if he avoids the topic altogether?

Also, you said "Having watched Jason Gramling chase instructors around the U.S. for years". So, you've watched him for years, and presumably you had to be within visual range to do so.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X