Discovery Channel proves *snicker* Teh deadly Pressure points

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by aznassassn
    Lol about the killing and maiming definitely lol, but thats what they needed for the times. Anyway, why does noone ever mention JKD here? Bruce Lee was the greatest fighter ever right?
    Red light! Don't even go there man. Bruce Lee had some awesome and innovative theories on fighting, but I wouldn't go throwing that statement around. His lack of any amateur or professional fight competitions (leaving us will nothing but hearsay regarding his actual ability) doesn't really fly with us. It's your belief if you want to hold it, but it might start some nasty arguments.
    Soon-to-be BJJ sandbagger?

Comment

Originally posted by marcusdbrutus
      Pretty much, the martial artist and the conditions he/she trains under are the big things. SO if your dojo doesn't practice any full-ish contact sparring, I strongly reccomend you bring it up with your sensei. You could even visit different clubs and take part in their sparring to see how you fare. In fact, this is a good idea even if you do spar full contact.
      Yeah we do spar though, not often full contact as I'ts a pretty small class and im like, a small 15 year old and then theres this huge biker guy hu must be like 40 something and hes effing awesome so if we did do full contact all the time I would most likely die, However, with the different clubs thing, we enter tournaments and my sensei totally embarrased this other dude, and another guy in my class drew at first, and then barely lost to someon who represents our country.

Comment

WTF...not going to sit here arguing with a 15 yo. Talk to you in 10 years. I'm out.
        Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

"Disliking someone is not evidence of wrongdoing or malfeasance or even bias." --Dung Beatles

Comment

Red light! Don't even go there man. Bruce Lee had some awesome and innovative theories on fighting, but I wouldn't go throwing that statement around. His lack of any amateur or professional fight competitions (leaving us will nothing but hearsay regarding his actual ability) doesn't really fly with us. It's your belief if you want to hold it, but it might start some nasty arguments.
          Really? dayum, even with all his speed and physical feats people don't believe that. dayum. Plus weren't there a whole bunch of street fights with witnesses that he was in?

Comment

Yeah we do spar though, not often full contact as I'ts a pretty small class and im like, a small 15 year old and then theres this huge biker guy hu must be like 40 something and hes effing awesome so if we did do full contact all the time I would most likely die, However, with the different clubs thing, we enter tournaments and my sensei totally embarrased this other dude, and another guy in my class drew at first, and then barely lost to someon who represents our country.
            Hmm....these competitions are point sparring, I'll assume. That doesn't really help in a real fight, it gets you really used to just tapping instead of driving the blow. Since you don't actually spar full contact, I really strongly recommend that you visit some boxing or kickboxing gyms, and have a few friendly sparring rounds. You'd learn a lot, and have more of an understanding of the concept of pressure testing. Trust me, try it out. You won't regret it.

Comment

Originally posted by diesel_tke
              WTF...not going to sit here arguing with a 15 yo. Talk to you in 10 years. I'm out.
              Just cos i'm 15 you won't continue the debate? Isn't that kinda, i dunno, immature? lol who's to say in 10 years you won't be all like WTF... im not gonna sit here and argue with a 25 year old talk to me in 10 years etc... things pwobly wont change much, i mean i will have finished school in a couple years.

Comment

Really? dayum, even with all his speed and physical feats people don't believe that. dayum. Plus weren't there a whole bunch of street fights with witnesses that he was in?
                With no footage of the fights, and with lots of different stories regarding them, it's still considered sketchy evidence. No doubt he was in fighting shape though, his muscle to body weight ratio was scary. I just wouldn't throw the term 'best fighter ever' around so eagerly.

Comment

Hmm....these competitions are point sparring, I'll assume. That doesn't really help in a real fight, it gets you really used to just tapping instead of driving the blow. Since you don't actually spar full contact, I really strongly recommend that you visit some boxing or kickboxing gyms, and have a few friendly sparring rounds. You'd learn a lot, and have more of an understanding of the concept of pressure testing. Trust me, try it out. You won't regret it.
                  Yeah i know what your'e talking about I do full contact sparring with friends from different MA's all the time, and about the tournament, it was full contact with knockouts and stuff so it wasn't a tap 2 points thing.

Comment

With no footage of the fights, and with lots of different stories regarding them, it's still considered sketchy evidence. No doubt he was in fighting shape though, his muscle to body weight ratio was scary. I just wouldn't throw the term 'best fighter ever' around so eagerly.
                    yeah well, what about, one of the greats? lol

Comment

Yeah i know what your'e talking about I do full contact sparring with friends from different MA's all the time, and about the tournament, it was full contact with knockouts and stuff so it wasn't a tap 2 points thing.
                      I'm glad to hear that, it's a lot better than point fighting. But suppose you'll consider scouting out some fight team gyms (like boxing or kickboxing) and checking in to see if you can move around a little. Obviously you'd only do it with kids your age, but you'd still learn lots.

See, this is a lot like the situation I was in when I was 16. I'd just got a black belt in TKD, but I didn't feel totally comfortable with my fighting ability. I started testing out with a local Thai instructor's class, and I absolutely loved the stuff. Eventually I just dropped the TKD and took up full time Muay Thai. I'm not saying you should drop Kempo though, that's just my story.

Comment

yeah well, what about, one of the greats? lol
                        As an amateur fighter I do have some scepticism, but we can agree he was one of the better martial artists out there :p

Comment

I'm glad to hear that, it's a lot better than point fighting. But suppose you'll consider scouting out some fight team gyms (like boxing or kickboxing) and checking in to see if you can move around a little. Obviously you'd only do it with kids your age, but you'd still learn lots.

See, this is a lot like the situation I was in when I was 16. I'd just got a black belt in TKD, but I didn't feel totally comfortable with my fighting ability. I started testing out with a local Thai instructor's class, and I absolutely loved the stuff. Eventually I just dropped the TKD and took up full time Muay Thai. I'm not saying you should drop Kempo though, that's just my story.
                          Yeah i've been thinking about checking out a boxing gym. But i live in NZ so i don't have many options lol. *edit* forgot to add, i've only been doing kempo a little while and i would definitely drop it for muay thai, but theres no classes anywhere near me and it turns out the muay thai guys got wasted at the tournament anyway lol so i feel a bit better about my class.

Comment

As an amateur fighter I do have some scepticism, but we can agree he was one of the better martial artists out there :p
                            Lol yay.

Comment

Well, definitely check out that boxing gym when you get the chance. You seem pretty open minded, I bet you'll enjoy it.

Comment

Indeed lol. in that case do you believe that when you are training for cage fights you are not training for the street? I know UFC MMA type stuff would work in the street but something designed specifically should work better than it, theoretically anyway right?
                                Yes, "Theoretically", and thus the problem with Ninjutsu. Trying to avoid my Koryu-snobbery, simply put, Ninjutsu has been nothing but "theory", with very little if any historical accounts of its implications that, ironically, didn't come from samurai, let alone someone actually calling themselves a "ninja" versus using shinobi-do tactics, which are a farcry of difference from what you see in entertainment and MA-marketing. They were not the end of all Japanese-fabled assassins we make them out to be, yet its easy to market it as such.

So now you have "modern world application". Again, what purpose does one have to "learn to kill"? Its almost a sickening notion to me that one has to train with an intensity to "kill", meaning the reliance that their art is superior in the notion it is designed to "end" human life. A bad seoi-nage from a beginner in Judo can accomplish this day-one. A enraged redneck with one too many and a shotgun can even trump that time, so as often coined, "why spend so much time (money) focusing on such?"

And as for Bruce Lee, I often hate breaking the ice with this, and I will not undermine his impact on bringing MA to the west (hell, "whatever happens/happens" was my senior-yearbook quote), his "rooftop brawls/greatest fighter ever" is a highly fabricated myth that (imo) betrays Lee.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X