Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You don't train at SWAN do you?
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

"Disliking someone is not evidence of wrongdoing or malfeasance or even bias." --Dung Beatles

Comment

Originally posted by marcusdbrutus
      I will not allow the ninjer to ignore this post.
      just saw your post lol, cant be effed watchn the video, did it really get 2.1? shit, anyway they did say his punch would kill someone right? and i do remember his kick being like 4 times more powerfiul tan the muay thai guy's, did they say it would kill someone? like seriously, im not being a dick here, i actually wana know, and alot of the stuff they tested came down to the individuals conditioning remember Just like the Tae kwon do guy was like twice as big as the kung fu guy and he did a kinda boxing punch instead of a tae kwon do punch. Do you guys really think that TMA are all bullshit, cos thats the kinda vibe im getting.

Comment

Edit: Quoted myself again, I'm glad you finally read it.
        Soon-to-be BJJ sandbagger?

Comment

Originally posted by diesel_tke
          You don't train at SWAN do you?
          Lmao no i do Kenpo, anyway screw taijutsu? you were actually talking about all the ninja escapee/ explovises use and thievery shit, not the martial art?

Comment

I don't think TMA is bullshit. I think it all has it's place. It depends on the reason you are training. If you are doing Tai Chi because you want the health benefits, just make sure you don't start believing you are training for a cage fight.
            Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

"Disliking someone is not evidence of wrongdoing or malfeasance or even bias." --Dung Beatles

Comment

I don't think TMA is bullshit. I think it all has it's place. It depends on the reason you are training. If you are doing Tai Chi because you want the health benefits, just make sure you don't start believing you are training for a cage fight.
              Indeed lol. in that case do you believe that when you are training for cage fights you are not training for the street? I know UFC MMA type stuff would work in the street but something designed specifically should work better than it, theoretically anyway right?

Comment

Originally posted by aznassassn
                just saw your post lol, cant be effed watchn the video, did it really get 2.1? shit, anyway they did say his punch would kill someone right? and i do remember his kick being like 4 times more powerfiul tan the muay thai guy's, did they say it would kill someone? like seriously, im not being a dick here, i actually wana know, and alot of the stuff they tested came down to the individuals conditioning remember Just like the Tae kwon do guy was like twice as big as the kung fu guy and he did a kinda boxing punch instead of a tae kwon do punch. Do you guys really think that TMA are all bullshit, cos thats the kinda vibe im getting.
                They didn't say Bas's punch could kill someone. They were just mistaken in saying the ninja's punch could kill someone. They didn't factor in any variables except VC. Also, Bas's kicks were so much more powerful than the MT guy's because he had like 80lbs on him.

Regarding TMA, it is definetly not all bullshit. TMAs just generally have a problem with pressure testing and fighting full contact. This is frowned upon, because you kind of have to practice something before you get better at it. Saying that practicing forms and sequence sparring makes you a better fighter is like saying making swimming motions while lying on a bench makes you a better swimmer. You have to fight to be a better fighter.

I find that regardless of the art, if the practitioner steps outside their comfort zone and really practices in a pressured situation, they can fight a lot more effectively than if they were just swinging at air. Take Kyokushin Karate for example, that gets mad respect around here. Also, a TKD guy once rocked my world with a roundhouse kick standing like 1 foot away from me (still dunno how he did that), and I've got 5 years Muay Thai experience. This is because the TKD practicioner spars under full contact rules, so he has an understanding of the factors (timing, speed, power) needed to make his strikes effective.

Comment

Indeed lol. in that case do you believe that when you are training for cage fights you are not training for the street? I know UFC MMA type stuff would work in the street but something designed specifically should work better than it, theoretically anyway right?
                  Actually, I think that training MMA is one of the best ways to train for the street because it has the most applicable techniques to what you will be using on the street.(that opinion is based on actual experience).

I also think that training in MMA helps you to be able to train more realistically so that you can use the techniques more effectively. Rather then training in 1/4 speed because you might accidentally kill someone.

I also think that you should train for street fighting similarly to MMA training unless you want to end up in prison. MMA techniques are a lot easier to defend in court then killing and maiming techniques.
                  Combatives training log.

Drum thread

Comment

Originally posted by marcusdbrutus
                    They didn't say Bas's punch could kill someone. They were just mistaken in saying the ninja's punch could kill someone. They didn't factor in any variables except VC. Also, Bas's kicks were so much more powerful than the MT guy's because he had like 80lbs on him.

Regarding TMA, it is definetly not all bullshit. TMAs just generally have a problem with pressure testing and fighting full contact. This is frowned upon, because you kind of have to practice something before you get better at it. Saying that practicing forms and sequence sparring makes you a better fighter is like saying making swimming motions while lying on a bench makes you a better swimmer. You have to fight to be a better fighter.

I find that regardless of the art, if the practitioner steps outside their comfort zone and really practices in a pressured situation, they can fight a lot more effectively than if they were just swinging at air. Take Kyokushin Karate for example, that gets mad respect around here. Also, a TKD guy once rocked my world with a roundhouse kick standing like 1 foot away from me (still dunno how he did that), and I've got 5 years Muay Thai experience. This is because the TKD practicioner spars under full contact rules, so he has an understanding of the factors (timing, speed, power) needed to make his strikes effective.
                    So we don't think TMA is bullshit and It's all the martial artist not the martial art right? cool.

Comment

So we don't think TMA is bullshit and It's all the martial artist not the martial art right? cool.
                      No, its the training.
                      Combatives training log.

Drum thread

Comment

Actually, I think that training MMA is one of the best ways to train for the street because it has the most applicable techniques to what you will be using on the street.(that opinion is based on actual experience).

I also think that training in MMA helps you to be able to train more realistically so that you can use the techniques more effectively. Rather then training in 1/4 speed because you might accidentally kill someone.

I also think that you should train for street fighting similarly to MMA training unless you want to end up in prison. MMA techniques are a lot easier to defend in court then killing and maiming techniques.
                        Lol about the killing and maiming definitely lol, but thats what they needed for the times. Anyway, why does noone ever mention JKD here? Bruce Lee was the greatest fighter ever right?

Comment

No, its the training.
                          Yeah the training, as in, the person the, the individual, how they trained, how they apply the techniques, pain threshold shit like that.

Comment

Lol about the killing and maiming definitely lol, but thats what they needed for the times. Anyway, why does noone ever mention JKD here? Bruce Lee was the greatest fighter ever right?
                            Yeah, and times change, so why shouldn't martial arts?

Plenty of people have discussed JKD. Use the search function.
                            Combatives training log.

Drum thread

Comment

Pretty much, the martial artist and the conditions he/she trains under are the big things. SO if your dojo doesn't practice any full-ish contact sparring, I strongly reccomend you bring it up with your sensei. You could even visit different clubs and take part in their sparring to see how you fare. In fact, this is a good idea even if you do spar full contact.

Comment

Yeah the training, as in, the person the, the individual, how they trained, how they apply the techniques, pain threshold shit like that.
                                No. Training as in, what you train, why you are training, and how hard you train.
                                Combatives training log.

Drum thread

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X