No announcement yet.

Pressure Point Control Tactics (PPCT)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are some good points brought up here. Training for cops, in anything involving physical skills, are for the lowest common denominator. Guys allways have time to watch tv but never the time to take responsiblity for themselves.

Comment

I used to scoff at the idea of pressure points...too many teenagers who try to use them and what not...

Until i read, "Black Medicine Vol. 1". Well, no, i read that and was like, ok, this is cool. Oh wow, that actually hurts, but it still seems pretty useless.

Until i was talking with my Uncle, about lolpressurepoints. This was a painful conversation.

I don't know what he did, but he did something that hurt like hell, and then did another thing that made me fall to my knees. Being the good bully that i am, i asked him to do it again, prepared to fend off the knee-falling shennanigans.

Nope, didn't work. Still fell down.

I still don't believe in the whole pressure point thing, quite so much, because i don't think that many people have the level of training my Uncle possesses.

That being said, like goju said, pressure points + yawara stick = painful.

Comment

There used to be a guy when I did Aikido who when he grabbed your forearm or head or what ever to throw you, would dig his fingers in at the nerve clusters.

And use that to move you.

How well does pain compliance work in adrenaline situations is dependent upon the situation and the person applying and being applied to, which to me is kind of too loosey goosey to depend on but doesn't mean it's not worth knowing.

Comment

If you want to control someone, leverage works no matter how compliant they are.

Wrestling ftw.

Comment

If one is trying to get someone to let go of a steering wheel for instance then pressure points work well. If you are trying to hit the subglosaal on the guy smashing your face in then pressure points won't work so much for you.

When I went to instructor certification class, 36 hour wonder school, there were juvenile correctional officer trainers there who were not permitted to do some the techniques being tested on.

I've seen people try to use pressure points and come alongs during a fight and then after the ass beating the cop claims the stuff dosen't work. yeah.
            Last edited by JRT6; 1/06/2009 3:29pm, .

Comment

I have a buddy in my BJJ class who is a cop. He always jokingly complains that BJJ never works because everyone is trying to run away from him. lol

Truthfully his level of coordination and speed from BJJ training has made it easier for him to do control, take downs and cuffing but the bit about not training against people who are running away is slightly true.

Comment

Like a lot of folks, I'm certified in PPCT. no big deal. As others have said, it works alright against semi-compliant folks, not someone trying to tear your head off. It is not pressure points ala Dillman no touch knockout crap, but it is not the be all end all for defensive tactics. Although the baton work should be familiar to anyone who's been in the army.

I doubt I will renew my certification. Don't need it professionally, so don't see the need to pay to keep my name in a database.

Comment

The key to making all of these techniques effective it to always finish off with a Haria Makikomi while shouting "hold still, you're making me lose my balance!"

Comment

Originally posted by Tom .C
                    The key to making all of these techniques effective it to always finish off with a Haria Makikomi while shouting "hold still, you're making me lose my balance!"
                    Makikomis are evil, evil throws that are only used by movie villians, fat people and total bastards.

Comment

Originally posted by kultist
                      Makikomis are evil, evil throws that are only used by movie villians, fat people and total bastards.
                      And Koga

Comment

You guys are wrong. The fact is that Makikomi are used by anybody who enjoys giving up their back.

Comment

I'm certified in PPCT. I've been to a couple recerts etc. I'm not a fan of it.

IMO, its a system that a Police or Corrections department can use to CYA. It covers the department in use of force situations and they can also hang an officer out to dry in an excessive force situation if he uses anything outside of PPCT.

The techniques, as others have said, are most effective when used against someone who is not resisting aggressively, so basically in an all out fight, not so effective IMO.

In the end, you're not gonna become effective taking a 2 day course. It does seem to do well for covering legalities for "the man" though.

Comment

I just have to say.. I've been in MA for over 15 yrs.. and started as an LEO over a yr ago, and went through an "extended" 4 day PPCT training... I almost wanted to vomit on myself on how lame it was. It's truly a Cover Your Ass system. Yes it has it's good points also, but like someone said in a previous message, ONE plus ONE system is slightly more effective for LEO use.

Comment

my biggest worry with PPCT is that many people teaching it don't realize how craptastic their techniques really are. they got their level 1-3 certs then their instructor cert and now they are turning out others who don't realize it either.

i worry more about the future of an LEO or social worker (i used to be a SW) who is confident in their PPCT training getting into a situation that causes them to panic and do something stupid outside the system, over someone with some good striking and groundwork/sub training in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by kultist
                                First throw I could ever reliably land in randori was an O Soto makikomi. It was dripping with yellow belt fail (and delicious butter) but it still works better than my O Soto Gari.

My point being though, it's a great and easy throw to pull off, and would be easy to teach for LEO stuff. Conversely though;
                                It Fucking Hurts.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X