Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fighting in Thailand- need some help

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Fighting in Thailand- need some help

    Finding myself in Thailand for a few weeks on Vacation. I managed to get myself in the ring in a couple of very amateur fights. I love it but I'm in a world of hurt, these fucking little guys are insanely fast and they hit super hard. The last time I was in a 'kickboxing' type sparing environment was Taekwondo years ago, not really the same. MMA I've been doing is obviously helping but I need more help. Does anyone have any good fighting tips or advice for someone new to amateur fighting. (TKD & Aikido backround with 4 or 5 months of MMA)

    Problems I have so far is that I think I'm using too much energy too fast, I'm trying to hit them as hard as I can and I'm getting tired quick- afterwhich my guard starts to drop and I get pummeled.
    Feels like I'm way too slow and I'm having problems getting good clean powerful hits landed.

    Also is there anyone on Bullshido who's living in or visiting Phuket or Bankok?
    You are not free whose liberty is won by the rigour of other, more righteous souls. Your are merely protected. Your freedom is parasitic, you suck the honourable man dry and offer nothing in return. You who have enjoyed freedom, who have done nothing to earn it

    #2
    Shouldn't you, like, blend with them or something?

    Comment


      #3
      How is your conditioning? Poor? Fair? or Good?

      Sounds like you're getting gassed out.
      SEANBABY:

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by GuiltySpark
        Finding myself in Thailand for a few weeks on Vacation. I managed to get myself in the ring in a couple of very amateur fights. I love it but I'm in a world of hurt, these fucking little guys are insanely fast and they hit super hard. The last time I was in a 'kickboxing' type sparing environment was Taekwondo years ago, not really the same. MMA I've been doing is obviously helping but I need more help. Does anyone have any good fighting tips or advice for someone new to amateur fighting. (TKD & Aikido backround with 4 or 5 months of MMA)

        Problems I have so far is that I think I'm using too much energy too fast, I'm trying to hit them as hard as I can and I'm getting tired quick- afterwhich my guard starts to drop and I get pummeled.
        Feels like I'm way too slow and I'm having problems getting good clean powerful hits landed.

        Also is there anyone on Bullshido who's living in or visiting Phuket or Bankok?


        ive trained in phuket before and the experiences i learned there will last a lifetime. it does sound like you need to heavily work on your cardio. i also reccomend not doing any fights before you are ready.

        Comment


          #5
          Maybe you should... you know... train Muay Thai? Wouldn't hurt.

          Okay, maybe a little. Quite a bit, actually.

          Comment


            #6
            Do they drug test? Because this changes EVERYTHING.
            Website Administrator Tom Kagan just loves email, instant messages, private messages, text messages, tweets, status updates, and every kind of personal contact. You can reah him at his personal email account at [EDITED BY TOM KAGAN] or even on his cell phone number at [EDITED BY TOM KAGAN].

            Comment


              #7
              E-Van is correct.

              PROOF that I'm not a completely useless poster:
              http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...0&postcount=58


              Originally posted by Cy Q. Faunce
              3moose1 is correct. Sig THAT, you fucker.

              Originally posted by sochin101
              I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
              That is not conducive to passionate cunnilingus, my friend, let me assure you.
              Originally posted by HappyOldGuy
              I agree with moosey

              Comment


                #8
                Everytime you train you should pretend that your life depends on it next time you step into the ring. That's what a lot of Thai's feel when they fight.

                If you're not training to the point of death (fuck exhaustion, being tired is for pussies, you have to push your self so hard you'll die) then don't waste their time. Amey or otherwise.

                Tips: Run more. Look up how you should jog and sprint (do both, not just jogging, sprints help with explosiveness). Practice makes perfect so use repetition. Kick the bag 1000 times a bad, do 500 straights, 500 hooks, and 500 uppercuts on the hook box everyday.

                It's a totally different level of intensity when you fight to feed your self and your fam. Also remember in Thailand the first round of first 2 rounds are b/s. Being a farang might change things but no one explodes until a round or so into the match. Use that knowledge to your advantage.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Don't fight without some sort of actual fight training. Doing an MMA class isn't going to prepare you for an actual thai boxing match. Any sort of advice anyone gives you is going to go right out the window once someone comes at you with bad intentions.
                  Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

                  Comment


                    #10
                    OR you could learn drunken kung fu and kill all of them easily on the first round

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by Squerlli
                      Everytime you train you should pretend that your life depends on it next time you step into the ring. That's what a lot of Thai's feel when they fight.

                      If you're not training to the point of death (fuck exhaustion, being tired is for pussies, you have to push your self so hard you'll die) then don't waste their time. Amey or otherwise.

                      Tips: Run more. Look up how you should jog and sprint (do both, not just jogging, sprints help with explosiveness). Practice makes perfect so use repetition. Kick the bag 1000 times a bad, do 500 straights, 500 hooks, and 500 uppercuts on the hook box everyday.

                      It's a totally different level of intensity when you fight to feed your self and your fam. Also remember in Thailand the first round of first 2 rounds are b/s. Being a farang might change things but no one explodes until a round or so into the match. Use that knowledge to your advantage.

                      well said. one thing i noticed when i was training there was the look in everyones eye while training. its a constant state of hunger knowing that their next fight could make or break them so of speak. by the time my stay was done i had only the deepest appreciation of how they train, fight and live.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by KidSpatula
                        Don't fight without some sort of actual fight training. Doing an MMA class isn't going to prepare you for an actual thai boxing match. Any sort of advice anyone gives you is going to go right out the window once someone comes at you with bad intentions.

                        also well said....if your going to fight muay thai, you need to train muay thai

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by thaiboxersp
                          well said. one thing i noticed when i was training there was the look in everyones eye while training. its a constant state of hunger knowing that their next fight could make or break them so of speak. by the time my stay was done i had only the deepest appreciation of how they train, fight and live.
                          Fo'shizzle homie.

                          Where'd you train at in Thailand? Give us some detail on your stay to help move this thread along.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            i was THIS close to trolling this thread, but decided not to, out of respect.

                            PROOF that I'm not a completely useless poster:
                            http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...0&postcount=58


                            Originally posted by Cy Q. Faunce
                            3moose1 is correct. Sig THAT, you fucker.

                            Originally posted by sochin101
                            I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
                            That is not conducive to passionate cunnilingus, my friend, let me assure you.
                            Originally posted by HappyOldGuy
                            I agree with moosey

                            Comment


                              #15
                              I think my conditioning and cardio is pretty decent. I can run 10 miles at a good speed without stopping. When I was sparring in MMA I think I was getting 'gassed out' at first but it went away pretty quick, it seems like I'm starting at zero again. I only have 3 weeks here, I'd rather spend the time actually fighting than have 3 weeks of training and go back to work. Might sound dumb but I don't know when I'll be back.
                              Maybe I could see if I could train with someone for a week or so just to get the basics down though. What a kick ass country though, I'm sure the locals love beating up tourists like me who 'wanna try Muay Thai'
                              You are not free whose liberty is won by the rigour of other, more righteous souls. Your are merely protected. Your freedom is parasitic, you suck the honourable man dry and offer nothing in return. You who have enjoyed freedom, who have done nothing to earn it

                              Comment

                              Collapse

                              Edit this module to specify a template to display.

                              Working...
                              X