Competing with vision problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Competing with vision problems

I'm blind in my right eye, and i've got shithouse vision in my left.

I'm wondering if I train to compete in MMA would I be allowed? Wondering about different people's experiences. It may be different in different parts of the world but I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with this?

I believe it's just like boxing.

I'm also wondering beacause I want to compete in MMA and I use glasses. my vision is pretty fucked.

Comment

Originally posted by tharuz
      I believe it's just like boxing.

I'm also wondering beacause I want to compete in MMA and I use glasses. my vision is pretty fucked.
      Contact lenses, dude. My vision is like 20/5 million.

Comment

Take the Wing Tsun and use your internal energies to feel the attacks coming at your blind-side...or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Partisan
          Take the Wing Tsun and use your internal energies to feel the attacks coming at your blind-side...or not.
          not funny

OP - regardless of "if" you were allowed, you do realize are are giving up a lot.

Blind side and loss of depth perception being the major concerns.

Kudos to you for wanting to step up.

Comment

Originally posted by Poon Knight
            I've never been punched in the eye with a contact lense.

I wonder if they would go flying or get stuck in unwanted places.

Comment

I'm going to go ahead and say you probably shouldn't fight MMA...

Comment

It isn't as bad as people think. Whether it's a good idea or not isn't what I'm worried about, it's whether there are any legal restrictions on vision.

I may just stick to judo and bjj comps.

Comment

Originally posted by 100xobm
                  It isn't as bad as people think. Whether it's a good idea or not isn't what I'm worried about, it's whether there are any legal restrictions on vision.

I may just stick to judo and bjj comps.
                  as far as i know, there are none.

Comment

Word, I appreciate the input

Comment

Take up wrestling, stay hard on your judo and sub grappling, take boxing if it won't aggrevate whatever your condition is so you'll get a good chin and know what works and doesn't for you in terms of striking and strike defense.

Sorry to say, but I can't imagine impaired vision is gonna translate to striking very well...but it sounds like you are competitive in grappling, so play to your strengths. You can't count on seeing shit in the clinch anyway, so get good at feeling it out and get all kinds of Wandy with those knees before ippon-ing the fools straight into a submission.

And yeah, train MMA if you like it, but unless you are just a beast in some facet and at least good in the rest, I don't see (pun really not intended) you being competitive.

If that made no sense, I'm sorry. Typing is hard drunk.

Comment

I have horrible vision and spar/fight without contacts, but even with horrible vision I have depth perception. I have a hard time believing anyone can be an effective striker without that.

If you're planning on relying entirely on your grappling in MMA and hoping you don't get knocked out before you get the takedown, I'd say it's probably not a good idea. You can get seriously injured, especially if you can't see the punches coming. On the other hand, if you do some standup training and figure out a way to compensate for your vision, more power to you.

Edit: didn't notice you had already made up your mind. I've never had my vision tested or anything, I'm pretty sure you'll be fine.
                        Last edited by Happy Panda; 12/07/2008 3:02am, .

Comment

Dare I suggest some Kyokushin so you'll have t3h real Iron Body and maybe some CM-style defense?

Comment

Originally posted by Poon Knight
                            Make sure they r soft contacts otherwise they may scratch your eyes.

Comment

Appreciate the advice.

I'm doing it because I want to be well rounded or at least to be able to block worth a damn. That and I like the teep

I'm really not sure how good my depth perception is, it's my only real worry, I'm pretty sure it's fine but I guess i'll have to just do some mma training and see how it goes.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X