Kickboxing - Grades?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kickboxing - Grades?

So, I've just found out my gym has 3 kickboxing classes a week. I initially thought these were the usual cardio kickboxing class, but inquired about them anyway. I was assured by the gym manager that the classes are taught by a kickboxing professional, they spar, and some of the even enter tournaments, and also "the group works towards belts, gradings..."

Now, having not does kickboxing before, I don't know, but belts? Gradings? Are these things normal?
    "Chance favours only the prepared mind."

My Training Log

Its fairly normal in the uk for kb schools to have a grade system. I wouldn't let that automatically put you off. If they spar at a decent contact level and have a fight team, I'd say its definitely worth a look.
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Comment

Yeh that's what I was thinking, plus I'm pretty sure it's included in my gym membership anyway. Will have to go to a class and see what it's like.

Being in Taunton though I'm just hoping its not ran by this moron: http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...ight=kicksport

My Training Log

Comment

What's the organisation? There's a lot of aikido-knife-disarming, semi-contact stuff calling itself 'kickboxing' in the UK.

Comment

Dunno, I've queried with the gym and I'm waiting for the name of the instructor.

My Training Log

Comment

Instructor is a guy called Mark Monk, who seems to have been an European silver medallist in 2005 and also competed at the WKA world championships.

Interestingly he seems to be calling what he does Korean Kickboxing (some old info here:http://groups.msn.com/KoreanKickboxingTaunton ). So whats that, TKD?

My Training Log

Comment

Foudn his silver, was in "Men Continuous Advanced -80kg" under WUMA. Never heard of this fed. but then again I dont know kickboxing federations...

My Training Log

Comment

Originally posted by honesty
                Instructor is a guy called Mark Monk, who seems to have been an European silver medallist in 2005 and also competed at the WKA world championships.
                WKA competitions range from point-fighting to full thai rules. Can't seem to Google up which one(s) he fought in. Best to go along to his class and ask. Also, see if they hit each other.

Edit: Just saw your last
                Originally posted by honesty
                Foudn his silver, was in "Men Continuous Advanced -80kg" under WUMA. Never heard of this fed. but then again I dont know kickboxing federations...
                Hit-too-hard-and-get-DQd point fighting. It's certainly possible the guy can scrap anyway, though.

The tournaments seem to be open rather than in-house things at least:
                http://www.wuma.uk.com/Tournaments/B...Srules2008.htm

His medal is on here:
                http://www.wuma.uk.com/Tournaments/E...esult2005.html
                Last edited by PointyShinyBurn; 11/26/2008 7:03am, .

Comment

For a comparison, you might want to check with the Paragon gym/system, anyway, it's run by John Lawson and his brothers Alex and Stuart, if memory serves. A colleague of mine (2nd Dan Trad JJ and BJJ Blue) trained with them and was highly complimentary. They have a structured syllabus and this will give you a good steer.

Sorry for lack of link but you'll probably get it with Google.co.uk.

Cheers

Comment

John lewis has a black belt in some kind of MT w/belts system. I forget the name.

Marky Monk was in the Fonky Bunch, right.

P.S. I'm still waiting for Goodwill Hunting II: Six Quarks For Marky Mark
                    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
                    Luta Livre flees the fight,
                    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
                    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

Comment

Not a technique thread.
                      Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Comment

Originally posted by KidSpatula
                        Not a technique thread.
                        Can you explain why you made this comment. I don't see the problem, and I'm trying to learn when things are misplaced.
                        Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
                        Luta Livre flees the fight,
                        Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
                        Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

Comment

i took a BB test in teh UK once.
                          as far as i know we dont have it overhere.

Comment

Is it
                            Kun Gek Do/Gwon-gyokdo = Korean Muay Thai
                            or
                            Kyuk Too Ki = Korean Kickboxing?

A minority of MT or Kickboxing schools use colored sashes to indicate level, but this is an internal club system. There aren't national standards for colored sashes.

Also a minority of Korean based MT and KB clubs uses the sash system.

KTK and KGD are like Sanda: started as a ruleset for competition between participants of different styles, but also get trained nowadays as an independant style.
                            Last edited by Rene "Zendokan" Gysenbergs; 11/26/2008 11:26am, .
                            Originally posted by Jiujitsu77
                            You know you are crazy about BJJ/Martial arts when...
                            Originally posted by Humanzee
                            ...your books on Kama Sutra and BJJ are interchangeable.
                            Originally posted by jk55299 on Keysi Fighting Method
                            It looks like this is a great fighting method if someone replaces your shampoo with superglue.
                            The real deadly:

Comment

Originally posted by Zendokan
                              Is it
                              Kun Gek Do/Gwon-gyokdo = Korean Muay Thai
                              or
                              Kyuk Too Ki = Korean Kickboxing?
                              Oh i don't know about that.
                              I'll describe it, maybe you then know what it was.

So i went in a padded room in some school with some 10 guys and started to kick and punch them, and they punched and kicked me.
                              Also did the most horrible submission fight of my life.
                              (don't ask)

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X