Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why TMA beats MMA(A point to end the argument FOREVER!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why TMA beats MMA(A point to end the argument FOREVER!)

I found this gem whilst randomly looking on Martialtalk, you really can't argue with it all can you: "Here's a new take on this tired, tedious argument.

Self-defense is staying alive and able despite...challenges. TMA and MMA each have their own pros and cons on the physical side. Mostly it boils down to how you train, not what you train in.

But let's look at real self-defense. If you really want to focus on things that might kill or disable you, a violent confrontation is statistically a bad bet. Look at the CDC statistics on death and injury. Assault and murder don't make the top ten.

What's gonna get you are diet, exercise, stress and lifestyle. In these departments, TMA (taught traditionally, not mcdojo style) wins hands down in my experience. MMA doesn't often teach meditation, lifestyle hacks or anger management techniques. True, MMA has more rigorous workouts, but they're really not sustainable into our later years. I will give a point to MMA for nutrition and diet..although weight cutting still happens and isn't good long term.

That 80 year old martial artist who can still do the splits and is still on the seminar circuit (Phil Porter and Cacoy Canete leap to mind)? That's gonna be a TMA guy."

Pretty much makes this website obsolete, Seriously how many of you can do the splits?

EDIT: here's the URL http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/sho...t=55425&page=2

If TMA is so great at keeping you healthy, why are there so many obese blackbelts?

Comment

Its glandular, they can all still do the splits.

Comment

I'm pretty flexible, and I have no illusions that the ability to do splits is going to affect my longevity negatively or positively.

Ignoring that, what does TMA teach about stress or anger management, nutrition, fitness or ANYTHING? They either teach bullshit catharsis-style stress and anger management or Japanophile pseudostoicism, they either teach bullshit diets or don't mention nutrition at all, and the message most fat, lazy TMAers teach me through their actions is that fitness is irrelevant to martial arts and life in general.

If you make it to 80 and can still do much of anything, I guarantee that your achievement was 95% genetics plus a little side helping of staying active somehow.

Comment

Exactly why that argument makes no sense at all, is martialtalk a bs forum in general?

Comment

Anger management?
            Lifestyle hacks?

Wtf?

If you want to become a better person, go to church.
            If you want to beat the shit out of someone who wishes you harm, go to a gym.

Kicking the air and point sparring does jack shit..
            ..thats like a boxer training to fight by tap-boxing and shadowing.

..and FUCK bowing to a flag 80 times in an hour!

Comment

It's a fair point in a way.

If you do martial arts to avoid being hit then you're much better off going to a non contact punch the air school to a real gym. Fighting isn't good for your health.

Comment

There appears to be a direct correlation between fighting ability and belief in MA making you a better, more spiritual person etc.

You don't don't see any MMA guys having their photos taken while sprawling at the top of a waterfall

Comment

Whilst fighting itself isn't good for your health there are many good health aspects for the whole 'training to fight' methodology.

Comment

Originally posted by Asriel
                    There appears to be a direct correlation between fighting ability and belief in MA making you a better, more spiritual person etc.
                    Surely you mean an inverse correlation?

Comment

Helio Gracie is puzzled by this total bullshit.

Comment

yea I was gonna say they obviously haven't met Helio.

Comment

Originally posted by RegularJoe
                          Wtf?

If you want to become a better person, go to church.
                          If you want to be a better person, be a better person.

OMG, I just spontaneously produced wisdom! Must be all that gi-wearing I've been doing.

Comment

TMA vs MMA here we go again .

Really if you train hard and practice your techniques , then its all good. Its not the art its the artist. I personally tire of this crap oh MMA is better than TMA or this style is better than that style. It is the person and the dedication and how they go about going about their training.

Comment

It's just a bunch of idiots buying into a false dichotomy.

Nothing to get up in arms about, people.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X