No announcement yet.

Systema

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It depends on where you live in Seattle and if you're willing to make the drive. Aron Fields is in Seattle (U district?) and King is on the eastside. Also, there are plenty of MMA gyms where you can do MT at as well as Muarice Smith's school.

Comment

Ok. I know Aaron and I know Maurice. I saw Systema on youtube-some of it looked interesting, some of it looked really stupid. I thought I'd ask about it. I didn't ask about muay thai, boxing or sombo. I just wanted to know if any one had trained it, if it really worked, or was it like so many Chinese internal styles that take 35 or more years just to be effective. Just wondering, that's all.

Comment

As someone with a great deal of MA experience and as an active Systema practitioner, yes, the training works; as in, I'm a better fighter now than I was before I started Systema training.

That said, I'll repeat that in my opinion it works best either for people with extensive prior experience in at least one striking and one grappling style, OR for people who are able to make a long-term commitment to the training. A MA newbie who wanted relatively short-term results would do better to train in a more orthodox, technique-based style.

"Some of it looks interesting, some of it looks stupid" is a very common reaction among people who have not trained in the System but who have seen video clips of it on YouTube. Briefly, the stupid-looking exercises are very subtle movement, sensitivity and improvisation drills; they are how you develop the skills to be able to do the good/interesting stuff.

Comment

DdlR, thanks for the information. Would it be fair to say that it's similar to Jeet Kune Do in the respect that it gives a new method to skills youallready have?

Comment

Originally posted by sujo
            DdlR, thanks for the information. Would it be fair to say that it's similar to Jeet Kune Do in the respect that it gives a new method to skills youallready have?
            I don't know a huge amount about modern JKD but AFAIK their "attribute training" has something in common with Systema training at the conceptual level. The funny-looking Systema drills develop fundamental skills of combative movement - good skeletal alignment, the ability to relax under extreme pressure, sensitivity to the other fighter's movements, ability to improvise, etc.

Comment

except jkd has a lot of striking in it. well good progressive jkd not stuck "original" jkd.

Comment

I think that the "original" JKD has a great deal of striking, as does Systema, so I'm not sure what your point is.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                X