Systema

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Systema

Does anybody do Systema? IS this stuff on the level?

In the top right corner of the page you will see random quotes from the site. Keep hitting refresh until you see the one about systema.

Also, this should be in newbietown.

Comment

Yeah sujo, this is probably better posted in newbietown.
      Also try to make your threads a little bit more informative.

Do you train Systema?
      What do you mean by on the level?

Comment

Search the forums. You'll find lots of systema bashing. The reason is -- I believe -- that systema claims to be a fighting system, which it isn't. That makes it bullshido. As such, it's taught by many McDojos.

It may be a lot of things, but if you want to become a good fighter you need to train something else as well.

Comment

No, I don't do Systema-never have never will.
          There's a guy here in Seattle who teaches and has a few supporters and I was just wondering about it. I thought maybe someone on here knows something about it and could tell me. I wasted some time in the past on an "internal" chinese martial art and it looks just like that pseudo-mystical qigong crap.
          I didn't know there where rules about posting in "Newbietown" or anything like that.

Comment

From what I've seen / read, etc (do a search on this site for a VERY good look into the teachings of Systema) I can tell you it's really not for me. I personally don't think much of it, but that's just my opinion.

Comment

Thanks. I'm new to bullshido and still learning my way around the site.

Comment

I've been training in Ryabko Systema twice a week since January. Note that there are numerous styles of Systema, but Ryabko's is the most commonly taught in the USA.

IMO, and it's not an especially popular opinion, Systema is an excellent training method provided that either 1) the student already has extensive and diverse training in at least one striking and one grappling-oriented style OR 2) the student is prepared to make a serious, long-term commitment to learning Systema. I do not recommend it to MA newbies looking for a quick fix.

The reason is that Systema is based on a very open-ended set of training drills that stress good tactical movement and the ability to improvise, as opposed to the much more common training model of drilling combinations of specific techniques.

I've been training in a wide range of MA for over thirty years and I'm getting a hell of a lot out of Systema training; YMMV, depending on your experience, expectations and attitude.

Comment

OP, the Seattle group: Brian King (who I've worked with) and Erich run a very good systema training group. I reccommend you check out a class, it will take you days to get thru the Systema threads that'll come up in a search.

Just try it, is time better spent.

Comment

If you're in Seattle and want to try a Russian martial art , why not train sombo with Aaron Fields?

Comment

Ryno, the question was about systema, so yeah I'd say check out Aaron cause seeing -in person- where SAMBO/Systema might overlap or don't is better data than opinions from some douchebag who doesnt know what he's talking about, llike fadfad.

Aaron is teh awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by theotherserge
                        fadfad, do you have anything to contribute besides behaving like an asshat?
                        Take a look at his style field...that should tell you just about everything you need to know.

Comment

oh, thanks! I should pay more attention to these things. :-)

Comment

The autumn sun shines

The seasons change like the wind

Systema thread time

Comment

Originally posted by sujo
                              I didn't know there where rules about posting in "Newbietown" or anything like that.
                              You had a fairly calm welcome... posting a newbie thread that's been covered in YMAS is bound to get you flamed, where newbietown is kind of safe.

And systema sucks ass.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X