Kyokushin = Type A bad asses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kyokushin = Type A bad asses

This thread was inspired by a comment made by foxguitar (LEO karateka) on another part of this site. After I got writing, I realized that perhaps more people had similar thoughts so I'm putting this up.

foxguitar, "....its not like Kyokushin sparring but the average person won't last in that type of style. Those styles are geared for the type A aggressive person who generally would be a bad ass in what ever system they took."

This is silly. The very great majority of Kyokushin people are just normal types, a lot of families workout. The few who compete are in another class, true, but to say type A / bad ass and so forth is just wrong. It's not all that different from any other dojo. The workouts are very similar to what I've done in Shotokan and Tae Kwan Do - the Chung Do Kwan TKD was actually a lot stricter and more militant - it's mostly the emphasis on sparring that differs.

Kyokushinkai is similar to schools like The Pit, John Hackleman's Hawaiian Kempo school in CA. True, they have tough competitors (Chuck and others), but they are a family oriented club, that from their website, looks very open and friendly.

Sosai Oyama taught that karate was for everyone. As you can see, that, thank goodness, is still the attitude. Old and young, not just the tough fighters, are welcome and respected in Kyokushin.

Here's some pictures of "Type A bad asses" from Kyokushin:

Attached Files
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Funny that pictures of family types, 40 year old cubicle dwellers, moms & dads & kids, are being used to defend a style.

But I agree. Good training does not have to be hard training, and aliveness does not equal broken teeth. Good training is alive, healthy, effective, sweaty and fun.
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Comment

its probably not teh real kyukoshin kai.

ghehe

Comment

I hope nobody thinks I was raggin on KK.

I admire greatly the style and I think Oyama Sensei is a legend among Legends.

and maybe my perception of the style is incorrect.

Like I said I think KK is an excellent style , and I wish a KK dojo was nearby.

I have seen a offshoot of it in NYC Seido with Nakamura Sensei who was once with Soke Oyama.

If Im wrong in my perception about KK I will gladly admit it and if I offended anybody that was not my intention.

In my thinking certain types of people seek out certain types of schools . The type A person tends to go more for a hard to full contact system like KK or MMA etc.
        Which is cool.

But I dont see everybody going for that type . Even in Tae Kwon Do or Shotokan there are dojos that empathize alot more of the sparring and have more contact and there are others that are more traditional with the over reliance on Kata and one steps.
        I perfer the the first kind myself. But everybody is different.
        Move along citizen ,nothing to see here !!!!!

Comment

While certain types who know about martial arts are going to gravite toward certain things, most people don't know that kung fu is a Chinese word for hard effort, much less that there is a difference between Shotokan & Kyokushin.

Secondly, the thigh bashing 100 man kumite is voluntary in Kyokushin, not mandatory. Yes, you train hard, but unless you're in a college club in Todai, you're not going to be getting the complete shit beat out of you 6 hours a day in 3 two hour sessions.

Comment

Ok thank you , Im being sincere this time.
            Like I said I respect and and admire KK.

True most fist time MA students just go to the first dojo down the block or where the rest of the parents send their brats I mean kids too.

I still think that KK is a bit heartier than alot of traditional karate schools.

I know BBs who never been hit once or never got to really execute their techniques in even 3/4 power .

My former Bro in law perfect example got his 2nd TKD WTF kukki style , Had pretty kicks but he couldnt use it if his life depended on , Hated to spar never went to sparring class never competed , only time he sparred at all was for rank promotion and with no contact and no ummph .
            If he went up against a good street fighter he be destroyed.

Comment

You know what else is hearty?

Cambell's Thick & Chunky. MMMMMmmmmmgoooood....

Comment

Originally posted by DerAuslander108
                You know what else is hearty?

Cambell's Thick & Chunky. MMMMMmmmmmgoooood....
                I never really like that , The old condensed shit was better LOL :XXsunsmil

Comment

Originally posted by foxguitar
                  Ok thank you , Im being sincere this time.
                  Like I said I respect and and admire KK.

True most fist time MA students just go to the first dojo down the block or where the rest of the parents send their brats I mean kids too.

I still think that KK is a bit heartier than alot of traditional karate schools.

I know BBs who never been hit once or never got to really execute their techniques in even 3/4 power .

My former Bro in law perfect example got his 2nd TKD WTF kukki style , Had pretty kicks but he couldnt use it if his life depended on , Hated to spar never went to sparring class never competed , only time he sparred at all was for rank promotion and with no contact and no ummph .
                  If he went up against a good street fighter he be destroyed.
                  What do you mean by a "good street fighter?"
                  Sumus extra manum tuam.

Comment

Originally posted by mrblackmagic
                    What do you mean by a "good street fighter?"
                    opposed to a bad street fighter, someone who knows how to rumble and hit and take a hit , who isnt afraid to take that bar stool over your head who if you tangle with you better know what you are doing.

Look the average joe citizen is not going to attack anybody or fight another person outside the Dojo . But on the other hand you got your street crazies who look for shit , you know the type. :icon_pira

Comment

Yeah, I call people like that "Mom".

Comment

Originally posted by foxguitar
                        But on the other hand you got your street crazies who look for shit , you know the type. :icon_pira
                        Dude, tell me about it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JawHRggFPGo

Comment

Originally posted by ChickenBeakFist

great flick

The main dude went on to play the baddie in that Nick Nolte Eddie Murphy movie 48 hours.

notice how they didnt even break a sweat and werent even breathing hard they must be
                          Hwa Rang Do stylists :tongue6:

Comment

Fuck Hwa Rang Do.

Comment

Why would you want to take KK when MMA or MT is much more complete because not limited by not face punching...

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X