Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A question please about taking up MAs during college?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• danniboi07
    replied
    Dude... School in the PI is intense yo. Glad I go to a CSU heheh.

At any rate, I'm a fellow student who studies MA. I'm currently attending one bjj session, one Judo session, and one Eskrima session a week. This is because these fit my schedule and I've worked my homework and other extra-curricular activities around them.

Like everyone said here, however, these are not my priorities. If an exam is coming up I'll gladly sacrifice rolling on the mat for some good ol' midnight oil burning. My future is in Engineering, I doubt I'll become an Olympic Judoist.

You'll note Capoeira in my style field, but because my fall schedule has class during those practice sessions, I can not attend. That is life and I accept it.

I say go for it, but keep your head on. If you need to study, STUDY. It IS good for stress relief, though, and you'll be needing a lot of that.

Study hard, Train hard.

Leave a comment:

• tubemode12
    replied
    Look, this is the last piece of good advice im going to give you: stop whining and questioning everything.
    just train something, stick with it and dont worry so much, with your current mindset you'll never reach any decent level because so far you're being picky and see problems instead of options.

you're getting on my nerves, you already started several threads on asking advice, people gave you advice and now you start this bullshit all over again.

stop being a picky bitch, start training.

*unsubscribe*
    Learn what?

Learn how to get my ass handed to me by learning Aikido?

Learn how to get kneed in the face by learning TKD?

I swear to God, If I had the options, then I'd take the options and take them as they are.

You wanna know how it feels like to get your ass handed to you?

I'm not sure if you do, but I've felt it more than once.

I took up Aikido for a year, this guy pushed me around and I fought back, I got trashed so hard that I stayed in bed for a week.

I then took TKD, cause it's all the rage in Davao, what happened?

The guy rushed me and shoved me to the floor, I could have been clobbered but thankfully someone was there to help me.

I AM GODDAMN SICK OF FAKE MARTIAL ARTS, I AM SICK OF BULLSHIT DOJOS THAT ARE IN IT FOR YOUR MONEY AND NOTHING ELSE.

THAT'S ALL WE HAVE HERE, IT'S EITHER A BULLSHIT MARTIAL ART, OR A BULLSHIT DOJO.

SHIT, WE DON'T EVEN HAVE ARNIS, AND IT WAS FUCKING CREATED HERE.

I took everyone's advice before, I ditched BJJ and went for Judo, no more Judo, since the instructors decided to scrap the Judo class.

BJJ? If you only knew how screwed BJJ here in Davao is.

Leave a comment:

• tubemode12
    replied
    Except when you are really under time considerations, work out. You still need exercise and Kyokushin will also teach you to kick ass and will help relieve stress. Being sane (and healthy and of course learning mas) is more important than grade point average. I've heard that TKD is way more popular than FMAs in the Philippines...
    You heard right my brother.

You wanna know what's stupid?

I come from Mindanao, the birthplace of Kali, I live in the Capital of Mindanao, Yet I could not find one single Kali training area.

Yet there's TKD everywhere you go, there's TKD at the gym I go to, TKD at my current school, TKD near my home.

Fuck, I searched around town, and guess what? We even have Kung-Fu, Why the fuck don't we have Kali or Arnis?

If I could choose which styles I'd practice?

I'd learn Sambo, Eskrima, Krav Maga, Kyokushin, Muay Thai and Judo.

But too bad, we only have Aikido and Tae-Kwando, Jiu-jitsu is rare as hell.

Leave a comment:

• EternalRage
    replied
    Originally posted by Sang
    Ah really, how does it compare to a business degree?
    I have no idea, I've never taken business school classes in the US or anywhere else.

Quite a few of my friends ended up dropping out of first year med school, i think you need to get a very decent first few years gpa here to be able to progress onto the good stuff.
    Not the case in the US. The classroom years of medical school are the last thing that residency directors look at. Board scores, clerkship grades, and letters of recommendation are looked at most. The only thing that they really look at from first two years is if you made Alpha Omega Alpha, which is the national medical student honor society. Or if you failed alot. Just pass everything and no one will give your transcript a second glance, at least in the US.

I supose when it comes down to it everyone has their distractions first year whether it be drinking, girls or gaming. Try to actually do your work though, i ended up skipping classes to train Muay Thai last year and nearly got kicked out of uni.
    Well of course, it's not all fun and games. I have to study alot even though I skip alot of lectures. But it's not as diehard as you implied in your first post. I'm a firm believer that anyone can do a US medical school program - none of this stuff is rocket science. It's just fucking hard to get in, that's all. Compared to quantum physics or biomedical engineering, med school is easy.

Leave a comment:

• Gezere
    replied
    Originally posted by tubemode12
    I'm going to be taking up medicine next year in Manila.

For those of you who don't know, Manila is the capital of the Philippines, which is the Eskrima capital of the world.

My problem here is: This is my only chance to be able to learn Kyokushin Karate, now do you guys think I'll still have time to do well for college and learn Kyokushin Karate at the same time?

What about the college students here who're currently taking up MA's, are you guys able to balance both?
    You can do both. Just make sure that college work comes first. I trained during college and it was more beneficial than boozing up and chasing tail, but not as fun.

To echo others, you will need to study but you will also need stress release so its all about time management. Again make sure school comes first and the dojo second (the girls come third, trust me on this, its college for everyone that gets mad at you there will be 5 more waiting to take here place!:icon_twis )

Leave a comment:

• Sang
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalRage
    I disagree. Depends on your program. I don't know what medical school is like over in Manilla, but in the US, there are plenty of med schools where it is block scheduled (you only take like 1-2 courses at a time), where the majority of lectures are not mandatory, and where passing is just a matter of time management and knowing what's going to be on the test.

Ah really, how does it compare to a business degree? Quite a few of my friends ended up dropping out of first year med school, i think you need to get a very decent first few years gpa here to be able to progress onto the good stuff.

I supose when it comes down to it everyone has their distractions first year whether it be drinking, girls or gaming. Try to actually do your work though, i ended up skipping classes to train Muay Thai last year and nearly got kicked out of uni.

Leave a comment:

• Lebell
    replied
    I'm going to be taking up medicine next year in Manila.

For those of you who don't know, Manila is the capital of the Philippines, which is the Eskrima capital of the world.

My problem here is: This is my only chance to be able to learn Kyokushin Karate, now do you guys think I'll still have time to do well for college and learn Kyokushin Karate at the same time?

What about the college students here who're currently taking up MA's, are you guys able to balance both?
    Look, this is the last piece of good advice im going to give you: stop whining and questioning everything.
    just train something, stick with it and dont worry so much, with your current mindset you'll never reach any decent level because so far you're being picky and see problems instead of options.

you're getting on my nerves, you already started several threads on asking advice, people gave you advice and now you start this bullshit all over again.

stop being a picky bitch, start training.

*unsubscribe*

Leave a comment:

• ADM
    replied
    I can work a standard 40 hour week and still train 6 times a week.

My point being, if you make time, it will happen.

Leave a comment:

• wanabeshinobi
    replied
    Is Kyokushin a good Martial art?

I really wanna know.
    Really?

I mean really really?

You REALLY wanna know, eh?

If so, then why don't you get your lazy ass to the nearest Kyokushin school and find out?

Leave a comment:

• reindo
    replied
    Originally posted by Sarcastro
    I wish there were a Kyokushin school nearby.
    same here...
    About school and MA's, Med School is not like some Liberal Arts Bachelor Degree Program bro, I remember my time at the Uni Library where I was giving a pause for a cigarette or a drink after 2 hrs of intensive learning. I come back after an hour or so then give another break after -lets say- 2 hours. Friens who studied Med then meanwhile never had pauses etc. never uttered a word but were just lost in those Body Atlasses and other big shiny and expensive books.
    Nice choice of study but beware mate....

Leave a comment:

• EternalRage
    replied
    Originally posted by Sang
    Medicine is one of those degrees where you actually have to attend every class and study your arse off, don't get your priorities out of wack.
    I disagree. Depends on your program. I don't know what medical school is like over in Manilla, but in the US, there are plenty of med schools where it is block scheduled (you only take like 1-2 courses at a time), where the majority of lectures are not mandatory, and where passing is just a matter of time management and knowing what's going to be on the test.

The medical school I attend is such. I am in my second year.

I train BJJ 4-5 nights a week, sometimes 6 nights if I get ahead on my work, for 2-3 hrs each class. I've even competed during the school year.

I've had to make some sacrifices. Basically everything except BJJ had to go. When I'm off the mat, I'm studying. So it can be done. However, during your clerkship years, the number of days you get to train a week will probably plummet, depending on what rotation you are on.

There is a dental student and another med student in the academy where i train at. I've also known residents who train BJJ as well.

Leave a comment:

• King Sleepless
    replied
    I wish there were a Kyokushin school nearby.

Leave a comment:

• patfromlogan
    replied
    Is Kyokushin a good Martial art?

I really wanna know.

Gee, I thought anyone around BS would know that of all the karate schools, Kyokushin and it's off shoots are about the only ones that are respected here. The +'s are fitness, good standup fighting skills, camaraderie (OSU! + beer and raw fish!), and real hardcore karate training that will make you welcome and fit right in in schools and dojos all over the world, be they Kyokushin or not. Besides learning the techniques and such that all trad karate would teach, KK is respected not just here on BS.

Many times some one has acted like ok, you are a black belt. And then they learn the style and their eyebrows go up and it's like, ok, you are a REAL black belt; some one who has gone through years of hard training and hard sparring. Last month, for instance, the teacher (multi bbs, MT, BJJ etc) of the mma school that I joined said, "Oh, that's the real karate, old school hardcore shit that works."

The -'s are some non-scientific warmup and fitness practices and that since Oyama died the style has become somewhat static. When he was alive, they added techniques that worked; now not so much.

Leave a comment:

• King Sleepless
    replied
    Dear God.

Is college that full of pressure?

I don't wanna go anymore. :(

Stupid Lebell, he told me all the chicks and beer would be in college, he's leading me into a sausage fest.
    You're listening to Lebell, he's an idiot with no actual life experience. Fuck him.

Leave a comment:

• patfromlogan
    replied
    Except when you are really under time considerations, work out. You still need exercise and Kyokushin will also teach you to kick ass and will help relieve stress. Being sane (and healthy and of course learning mas) is more important than grade point average. I've heard that TKD is way more popular than FMAs in the Philippines...

Leave a comment:

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
X