Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A question please about taking up MAs during college?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A question please about taking up MAs during college?

I'm going to be taking up medicine next year in Manila.

For those of you who don't know, Manila is the capital of the Philippines, which is the Eskrima capital of the world.

My problem here is: This is my only chance to be able to learn Kyokushin Karate, now do you guys think I'll still have time to do well for college and learn Kyokushin Karate at the same time?

What about the college students here who're currently taking up MA's, are you guys able to balance both?

Medicine is one of those degrees where you actually have to attend every class and study your arse off, don't get your priorities out of wack.

Devote your first year to it, if after that you've done well take up MA in the summer break and continue it through the next few years. My experience is that first year you have far too much other shit going on around you to really be able to handle a martial art on top of that.
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

Comment

I'll disagree with Sang to a point.

I would suggest that your entire experience at university shouldn't just be about classes and studying. At some point you will have to unwind and find some down time or your brain may just eat itself.

Prioritize what you do and never forget why you are in university and sacrifice a training session if you have to, but it can be done as long as you don't lose sight of the goal.

I'm in my last practicum at this moment and I've made a promise to myself not to miss any gym time this go around. So far so good, but if it comes down to it work comes before play and my coaches know that too.
      (Keep in mind I'm not in medicine but still missing work is a non option)

Comment

Try the MA, but keep an eye on priorities. If you need to do work, get excused from karate and don't go. If you work hard enough to free up your time for it, the karate will keep you A) sane and B) healthy.

Constantly assess your situation.
        What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Comment

Dear God.

Is college that full of pressure?

I don't wanna go anymore. :(

Stupid Lebell, he told me all the chicks and beer would be in college, he's leading me into a sausage fest.

Comment

If you're just going to be training casually a couple days a week, I'm sure you'll be fine. Most college students have more free time than they'd like to admit.

Comment

Is Kyokushin a good Martial art?

I really wanna know.

Comment

Do martial arts on the weekends. You're in college only once and you're (probably) paying a shyteload of money. You need to blow off some steam, so do kyokushin on weekends.

Work hard. And then play hard.
                SEANBABY:
                "The seventh law of thermodynamics is that every time a fat person gets near a trapdoor, they fall in. Itís the closest thing we have to scientific proof of God."

Comment

Except when you are really under time considerations, work out. You still need exercise and Kyokushin will also teach you to kick ass and will help relieve stress. Being sane (and healthy and of course learning mas) is more important than grade point average. I've heard that TKD is way more popular than FMAs in the Philippines...
                  "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Comment

Originally posted by tubemode12
                    Dear God.

Is college that full of pressure?

I don't wanna go anymore. :(

Stupid Lebell, he told me all the chicks and beer would be in college, he's leading me into a sausage fest.
                    You're listening to Lebell, he's an idiot with no actual life experience. Fuck him.

Comment

I really wanna know.

Gee, I thought anyone around BS would know that of all the karate schools, Kyokushin and it's off shoots are about the only ones that are respected here. The +'s are fitness, good standup fighting skills, camaraderie (OSU! + beer and raw fish!), and real hardcore karate training that will make you welcome and fit right in in schools and dojos all over the world, be they Kyokushin or not. Besides learning the techniques and such that all trad karate would teach, KK is respected not just here on BS.

Many times some one has acted like ok, you are a black belt. And then they learn the style and their eyebrows go up and it's like, ok, you are a REAL black belt; some one who has gone through years of hard training and hard sparring. Last month, for instance, the teacher (multi bbs, MT, BJJ etc) of the mma school that I joined said, "Oh, that's the real karate, old school hardcore shit that works."

The -'s are some non-scientific warmup and fitness practices and that since Oyama died the style has become somewhat static. When he was alive, they added techniques that worked; now not so much.
                      "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Comment

I wish there were a Kyokushin school nearby.

Comment

Originally posted by Sang
                          Medicine is one of those degrees where you actually have to attend every class and study your arse off, don't get your priorities out of wack.
                          I disagree. Depends on your program. I don't know what medical school is like over in Manilla, but in the US, there are plenty of med schools where it is block scheduled (you only take like 1-2 courses at a time), where the majority of lectures are not mandatory, and where passing is just a matter of time management and knowing what's going to be on the test.

The medical school I attend is such. I am in my second year.

I train BJJ 4-5 nights a week, sometimes 6 nights if I get ahead on my work, for 2-3 hrs each class. I've even competed during the school year.

I've had to make some sacrifices. Basically everything except BJJ had to go. When I'm off the mat, I'm studying. So it can be done. However, during your clerkship years, the number of days you get to train a week will probably plummet, depending on what rotation you are on.

There is a dental student and another med student in the academy where i train at. I've also known residents who train BJJ as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Sarcastro
                            I wish there were a Kyokushin school nearby.
                            same here...
                            About school and MA's, Med School is not like some Liberal Arts Bachelor Degree Program bro, I remember my time at the Uni Library where I was giving a pause for a cigarette or a drink after 2 hrs of intensive learning. I come back after an hour or so then give another break after -lets say- 2 hours. Friens who studied Med then meanwhile never had pauses etc. never uttered a word but were just lost in those Body Atlasses and other big shiny and expensive books.
                            Nice choice of study but beware mate....

Comment

I really wanna know.
                              Really?

I mean really really?

You REALLY wanna know, eh?

If so, then why don't you get your lazy ass to the nearest Kyokushin school and find out?

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X