BJJ Instruction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BJJ Instruction

I had a post in newbietown but didn't get a response so I'll try an abbreviated version of my questions here. There are only 2 BJJ clubs in my area (both about 20 miles away) and 1 Judo club (also 20 miles away). I'm equally interested in both. My question, can I get good BJJ instruction from a purple belt? Both BJJ clubs are run by purple belts while the judo club has multiple black belts. I know BJJ takes a while to promote in so I'm sure the purples have some time in but I'd like to know what the Bullshido folks think about the quality of instruction I might get from a BJJ purple belt. Thanks!

Yes you can get good instruction

Try it and see any other response is redundant, also try the Judo as an ex wrestler you might like it better.

Comment

Short answer: yes

It does depend slightly on your experience and the purple belt in question, but they can certainly teach you a lot. Try out a few class in each place and see which you like best

Comment

Fair enough. I figured I'd try a class or 2 at each place but with no BJJ knowledge to go on I wouldn't know if a purple was doing a good job or not. Thanks for the response.

Comment

BJJ black belt =/= Judo black belt

The belts systems in either system are very different. The BJJ purple belt might actually have more expirence than the Judo black belt.

I'm going to give you the advice I give everyone with this question: go to both schools and get a free lesson. Go with the one you like more.

Comment

Do both

BJJ and Judo compliment eachother very well

Comment

I remember your first thread with the same answers as above.

Yes its fine to learn from a BJJ purple belt

Comment

I just started judo and there's a fair bit of newaza in it. I know, it's not BJJ, but unlike what I thought we didn't just practice falling and throwing.

Try a class or two in each place, see what you like. It's very club dependent. Ask to sit in on an advanced class as well, see how they teach and what proficiency the senior students have.

Comment

If anyone is interested, the BJJ clubs are: http://www.uiowa.edu/~armbar/ and http://agogebjj.blogspot.com/ and the Judo club, http://www.judoamerica.com/iowacity/

Thanks for all the answers/suggestions, I feel better about the whole purple belt instructor thing now. I'll be giving them all a try once I get past my latest injury (hopefully no more than 6 weeks or so for the wrist, the stupidity I'm afraid is terminal).

Comment

This is simple.

Tell the BJJ instructors that the judo guys said their "lavender" belts were for wimps.

Whoever is left standing, learn from.

Comment

I know a bjj purple belt who is a brown belt in judo. We had a few black belts visit our judo club. He kicked the living shit out of them. They said they would be back this week. They didn't show up.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                      X