Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do i have to learn kickboxing/muay thai?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do i have to learn kickboxing/muay thai?

Im not trying to become a professional MMA, but atm im doing 3 classes a week. Wednesday is mixed grappling (Kali Silat/ Judo/ Shooto/ BJJ/ Dumog), thursday is strength and conditioning, and friday is MMA class (Striking, Grappling, Submission and Conditioning).

Im just wondering if im missing out by not doing muay thai, the reason i dont do it is because i dont have the time or money to pay for any more lessons on a weekly basis.

Thanks for any help...

Since your not looking to go into MMA, missing out for what?
    "Chance favours only the prepared mind."

My Training Log

Comment

You'll only be missing out if your planning on competing.

It takes years to really get proficient in the arts your already training, if your not compelled to actually get in a ring and fight your not really missing out on anything... except maybe the pain of learning to block with your shins.
      Last edited by Kambei Shimada; 9/09/2008 2:24am, .

Comment

Originally posted by honesty
        Since your not looking to go into MMA, missing out for what?
        Im not interested in competing, yet, but im still interested in being a well rounded fighter.

Comment

Do what you can when you can and don't worry. You can always add something to your training later on if you feel the need.

Comment

As a grappler who recently started MT, I've been enjoying it loads. You may be 'missing out' in that sense.

Comment

What the heck kind of program are you in that encourages you to train over 6 different arts?

Comment

It's a JKD school curriculum. All the grappling arts are being taught together.

He's essentially learning three curricula

A slightly self-defense oriented grappling class, with some filipino and indonesian takedowns, but a solidly shooto base(which looks close enough to BJJ with more scrambling and leg locks)

A conditioning class.

And a sport-oriented MMA class.

Make more sense?

Comment

The MMA class doesn't teach you the striking you want?

Comment

Good MT looks just like any good striking system/school/style. Their rule set is a little different so that makes their training a little different from some other standup, but the difference is minimal. Well they do wear groovier clothes...

So, the answer is no. I mean you could train western boxing to specialize in hand combos and foot/body flow, but why not get a couple years of the several arts you are doing first? For the average person it'd take years just to master one.

*edit*
                    change master to "become proficient."
                    Last edited by patfromlogan; 9/09/2008 7:31am, .
                    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Comment

So (Kali Silat/ Judo/ Shooto/ BJJ/Dumog) is one class? If not I would say dump the Kali and Dumog and do Muay Thai.

I might start doing Kali one day when I start walking with a cane. Other wise I really don't see myself going to the trunk to whip out the kali sticks on a bitch. I don't know what Dumog is.

If you have the opportunity to sub Muay Thai for Kali or Dumog I say do that.

Ok, I see that Dumog is Kali grappling so I say do MT.
                      "The next one I will take will pay for my loss. Someone has to pay!" ~ The Axe Murderer

Comment

Don't believe Pat, MT is better than 95% all of other striking arts.
                        "The next one I will take will pay for my loss. Someone has to pay!" ~ The Axe Murderer

Comment

Originally posted by DARKSON
                          So (Kali Silat/ Judo/ Shooto/ BJJ/Dumog) is one class? If not I would say dump the Kali and Dumog and do Muay Thai.

I might start doing Kali one day when I start walking with a cane. Other wise I really don't see myself going to the trunk to whip out the kali sticks on a bitch. I don't know what Dumog is.

If you have the opportunity to sub Muay Thai for Kali or Dumog I say do that.

Ok, I see that Dumog is Kali grappling so I say do MT.

The mixed grappling class is basically a class that includes those arts. So i couldnt change for muay thai, otherwise id be dropping the mixed grappling class.

Comment

Firstly, how long are these classes?

Secondly, can you elaborate a bit more on the "MMA class"?

Comment

1 hour. I just started recently so i couldnt give you the technical report, but basically in MMA we learn takedowns, grappling, submissions, striking and other aspects.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X