Ippon !!! or why I hate Judo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ippon !!! or why I hate Judo

I tried telling my wife about my Judo woes from tonight, she looked at me with a blank expression and said "don't you have someone else you can tell this to" (My wife is awesome but couldn't give two shits about martial arts)

Anyways at BJJ we have people getting ready for a comp, so the unhappy saps have to go down and stay down for 30 minutes while the rest of us cycle in every 3 minutes and we get to start from different positions. SO after my third roll I choose the purple belt. I am think well he's going to crush me but he's a nice guy and usually beats me slowly and gently with skill.

Then the BB announces our starting position for this round

Standing

here's the comedy, Mr Purple is alss a 3rd degree Judo BB and national level champion.

Once we start circling I can tell he's not interested in submitting me.

I try to pull guard and end up pulling knee on belly.

after a few seconds he stands up and backs away.

Again I can tell this is now a Judo match.

Long story short I found my self shortly traveling in a nice arc across his hip stiff as board and landed hard.

The sad thing is he threw me softly with control but anticipating it I was all tense.

Anyways that's my story. Fuck Judo I hates it HATES IT!!!!!

(unless I get someone who is less skilled then me and I get to Ogoshi them, then I like it)

Ah you just explained every Judo White belts' first time practicing with a black belt. When I was a kid I would go up against black belts and that pure fear of them defeating me allowed them to toss me with ease. *sigh* You made me nostalgiac.
    "The pedant is he who finds it impossible to read criticism of himself without immediately reaching for his pen and replying to the effect that the accusation is a gross insult to his person. He is, in effect, a man unable to laugh at himself."Sigmund Freud, The Ego and the Id.

Comment

You need to learn to relax. But I guess from the "stiff as a board" comment, you already know that.

Comment

I got my sternum cracked from a tai o toshi about a year afo ever since then I have been nervous doing stand up grappling

Comment

Originally posted by Goju - Joe
          ...I try to pull guard and...
          I think I found your problem.

Comment

Hmm, so what you guys are saying is that in order to progress in judo (or stand up grappling in general), one must get over his fear of being thrown. Didn't I read something similar regarding striking and getting accustomed to being punched in the face? Sounds like there might be something to this whole "aliveness in training" concept after all. Who knew?

Comment

I am not afraid to be thrown, I am afraid to be thrown and injured by Canadian National Judo champions.

also I definitely need to start working more stand up again just to get comfortable

Comment

I got my sternum cracked from a tai o toshi about a year afo ever since then I have been nervous doing stand up grappling
                I'm having trouble picturing this. Will your PTSD allow you to elaborate?

Comment

I'm imagining a lowish lapel grip that was brought down with force after impact.

Comment

Only broken sternum I've ever seen from a judo throw was a tomoe nage.

Comment

Originally posted by Mas
                      I'm imagining a lowish lapel grip that was brought down with force after impact.
                      I'm pretty sure it's possible for the tori to lose balance and land with his knee on the uke. Never seen it happen on tai otoshi, just saying it might.

Comment

It was at the Karo seminar, Karo made a point of saying it was important to land on your oponent in MMA, his assistant (all 275 pounds of him) used me to demonstrate this off of a tai otoshi, in which he followed me down and landed all his weight on my upper chest and produced a loud (to my ears) crichhhhhh sound

It hurt like a bitch for two months

Ever since I found my self gun shy from throwing

It's one reason why I have focused so much lately on BJJ God bless but scouting

However most fights might go to the ground but they all start standing so it's time to get my mojo back

(just not against 3rd degree BB champs)

Comment

Originally posted by Deadmeat
                          Only broken sternum I've ever seen from a judo throw was a tomoe nage.
                          I actually thought this happened to me. We were working on this throw with a green belt for his test. The kid was way over active and jammed his foot right on my freaking chest AND pulled me to him while kicking away from him. I felt this horrid pop and intense pain. But after about 15 minutes I felt fine.
                          "a martial art that has no rules is nothing but violence" - Kenji Tomiki

Comment

Hector Lombard did it to another BB at my club, and (deliberately it appeared to me) pulled the guy's sternum onto his knee instead of posting his foot in his hip.

Nasty.

Comment

Oh man...again with the memories...except this one was 2 weeks ago. At my dojo I'm the only one at my weight. The only other people my age are either 40 lbs lighter than me, or 40 lbs heavier than me. I go with the heavier when I can just because it gives me a better work out.

This one guy goes uchimata on me and all 235 lbs of him come crashing down on my ribcage. I felt the whole set of bones flex and the air being squeezed out of my body as I cushioned his fall. I feared for my well-being, but found I had survived the experience unharmed. I consider myself lucky.
                              "The pedant is he who finds it impossible to read criticism of himself without immediately reaching for his pen and replying to the effect that the accusation is a gross insult to his person. He is, in effect, a man unable to laugh at himself."Sigmund Freud, The Ego and the Id.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X