Robert Downey, Jr. on Sherlock Holmes, bad-ass martial artist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Robert Downey, Jr. on Sherlock Holmes, bad-ass martial artist

According to actor Robert Downey Jr., who is playing Sherlock Holmes in a new movie to be directed by Guy Ritchie:

We're both martial arts enthusiasts and historically, in the real origin stories of Sherlock Holmes, he's kind of a bad-ass and a bare-knuckle boxer and studies the rare art of baritsu [fictional martial art created by Doyle for the final Holmes story, 1901's The Adventure Of The Empty House]. If you look baritsu up, they can't even really tell you what it is, so it gives us a lot of leeway.
    Source: http://www.premiere.com/features/469...ck-holmes.html

No disrespect to Mr. Downey, but I could tell him a thing or two about baritsu ...
    Check out the Bullshido.net Western Martial Arts Forum for all things Western, martial and arty.

Bartitsu: the Gentlemanly Art of Self Defence (est. 1899)

Could be worse, he could be talking about Systema.

:P

Comment

Well Mr Downey does practise 'the Chun'.

The idea of a chain punching Sherlock Holmes is mind numbingly ridiculous.

Comment

Luckily Guy Richie is brown belt under Renzo so it should balance out.

Comment

Originally posted by DdlR
          According to actor Robert Downey Jr., who is playing Sherlock Holmes in a new movie to be directed by Guy Ritchie:

No disrespect to Mr. Downey, but I could tell him a thing or two about baritsu ...
          Does Bart-itsu look like this

Comment

He's right about the wikipedia thing:

Baritsu is fake...
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baritsu

Bartitsu is not
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bartitsu

of course someone might have the real Bar*itsu...

Comment

There was a link to bartitsu e-book somewhere on the site. It's cane fighting and all the same stuff from the secrets of jujitsu.

Also of note, Guy Ritchie decided to be a real director again.
              Sumus extra manum tuam.

Comment

Downey used the phrase "Drinking from the cup of bitters" once, to describe his chun training.

For this, he deserves a cane to the nards.

Comment

i only know bar mitswa which is brutal in its own way.

Comment

I just hope they dont' rewin my favorite litelary drug enduced character!
                    Originally posted by MrBadGuy
                    The Dog kid's mom is parked next to me in the parking lot. He runs up and asks me a question. "Hey dude, where did you learn that stuff?"

"That was grappling. Real MMA."

"Where do I go for that?"

I was a little shocked. Sure, he changed sides quickly, but I guess even a dog can realize it has more in common with the wolf than with the shephard.

I give him the names of some BJJ schools in the area, and we go our separate ways.

Comment

Originally posted by Siniq
                      I just hope they dont' rewin my favorite litelary drug enduced character!
                      who would that be?
                      Scholomo the bulgerian begging boozehound?

i never liked him much he reminds me of gipsy's.

Comment

Originally posted by DdlR

Like Doyle he couldn't spell it.

Comment

Sadly, Systema isn't fictional.

Originally posted by A Crazy Dutchy
                          i only know bar mitswa which is brutal in its own way.
                          Shut up! What do you know about Bar Mitzvas other than it's a good source for gathering materials to make soap? Evil European...
                          Originally posted by Sarcastro
                          He screams like a little girl as the pain ripples through his arm, shoots up into his brain, and now your dick is hard.

Comment

Originally posted by adouglasmhor
                            Like Doyle he couldn't spell it.
                            Anyone know how much Shinden Fudo Ryu is in Bartitsu?

Comment

Originally posted by Gabetuno
                              Sadly, Systema isn't fictional.

Shut up! What do you know about Bar Mitzvas other than it's a good source for gathering materials to make soap? Evil European...
                              you stop eating christian babies and ill stop making soap.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X