Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A video full of Villari's people I used to know.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A video full of Villari's people I used to know.

Hi, I haven't posted here in a bit. I was looking to get back into some martial arts, but I've been out of a job. I wasn't in MA mode as much as I was in "bum around all the time and forget what day it is" mode. I only had the vaguest idea what time of the month it was by the phase of the moon, which is weird.

Anyways, I found this video on Youtube. It's a bunch of people talking about the Villari's system over some clips from competitions and demos. It's my understanding that the Villari's system isn't seen so kindly here on the Bullshido forums, so I thought you guys could weigh in on the video.

YouTube - FYI: Villari's Self Defense

The fat guy wearing the jack-o-lantern shirt is worth the price of admission.

Comment

Wow, that was just horrible. Those were the clips they chose to show off?

Comment

Apparently. I'm not sure who it was that put it together, though.

Comment

That school, in that clip, isn't that bad. They have sparring and they do not ignore grappling. I have seen far worse than that dojo.

Comment

It looks like it's especially designed to fight little kids with. Ditto digging the Jack-o-lantern guy!

Comment

That school doesn't seem to bad but thats only a 3 minute clip.

Theres still a ton wrong with it in my opinion, but I guess its a step in the right direction.
              Port Jefferson Martial Arts - My Gym
              Port Jefferson Martial Arts - My Blog

Comment

"Where's your snake?"
                Check out the Bullshido.net Western Martial Arts Forum for all things Western, martial and arty.

Bartitsu: the Gentlemanly Art of Self Defence (est. 1899)

Comment

sum ting wong! That video sucked.

Comment

Ugh.

It's still Shaolin Kempo Karate Kung Fu Kikkoman Kelly Klarkson Kowpie.

They just added overly agitated, spazzy grappling without a basic understanding of groundfighting principals.

---

Unfortunately, I think Shaolin Kempo would need a complete overhaul to be effective.

You would need a:
                    -Qualified Grappling Instructor
                    -Qualified MMA Instructor
                    -Qualified Shaolin Kempo Instructor
                    -(?) Qualified Krav Maga (or other simplified "Self Defense" system) Instructor

Then, you would need to comb through the entire system and modify EVERYTHING to create a workable, realistic program.

This would probably entail:
                    -Changes in stances/strikes/kicks/blocks.
                    -Removal of "Lung Punches" from every Defensive Maneuver.
                    -Removal of Point Sparring (except for kids).
                    -Either a CLEAR separation of Forms from Fighting...or a complete rework of the forms to reflect fighting.

The end result should have:
                    -All Defensive Maneuvers targeted against realistic strikes, be of realistic length/complexity, and be applicable in a resistant situation.
                    -Strikes/Kicks/Blocks that work against full-power MMA style rules.
                    -Forms that are clearly understood as "Show"...or forms that reinforce basics without extensive study.

---

The question, of course, is would this still be Shaolin Kempo Karate?
                    Originally posted by Exodus
                    Helio was submitted by Kimura

Comment

Originally posted by Satori
                      The question, of course, is would this still be Shaolin Kempo Karate?
                      It would be MMA.

Comment

Ahh watching this makes my eyes hurt. They train attacks that would never, ever hit and they throw them super slow. This gives you not only a false sense of distance but also the dangerous feeling of "being able to defend yourself".
                        I am not getting started on weapon forms and shit.
                        I just have to question the guy, this one technique he shows, after he "throws" him (the snake what ever) to the ground, he does not turn towards the opponent, how stupid is that? Facing your attacker with the back, what the fuck?! And their kick, omg look at their kicks, it is just painful
                        It goes on and on... the idea might be good (but hey it is 2008 MMA is not new) though the way they train and the instruction sucks.
                        :bs:
                        Sometimes you lose and sometimes the other guy wins.

At this point I don't owe anybody an explenation.

Schools I trained at:
                        Lotus Club Cetepe Liberdade Sao Paulo
                        Renzo Gracie NYC
                        New York Combat Sambo

Comment

Originally posted by Vorpal
                          The fat guy wearing the jack-o-lantern shirt is worth the price of admission.
                          I thought that was funny too!

Then I remembered I'm wearing a jack-o-lantern shirt. And I'm fat.

Dang.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Steve

Word, got it.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X