My crazy plan of training BJJ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My crazy plan of training BJJ

This might (most likely) not happening this year but almost certainly will happen next year.

I plan on going to the US (N.Y.) and train BJJ there for 3 months (more is unfortunately not possible due to visa restrictions :bduh:).
    My goal is to get in as much BJJ as possible during that time so I am looking for some input in terms of schools that offer a minimum of 4 days of training a week. Best would be something with 5-6 days and training in the morning and evening or anything like that.

Money shouldn't be an issue when it comes to the training but it will be when it comes to accommodation. Last time I found a room via craigslist (Central Manhattan for 570$ a month) and I'm going to do this again though I am not sure if I am not trying to couch surf the complete time, would be cool + cheap but needs a lot of planing and maybe would hinder my training.

If you have any input in terms of schools/housing or otherwise let me hear it.

Are there no grappling schools in germany? Your country isn't that big man: drive...

Or are you going to the US anyway?

Comment

The issue is time and quality of training, we have only a hand full of schools that teach BJJ at all and they only offer 2 or 3 times training a week.
      Plus if I need to move/travel anyway why not going to the US? I loved N.Y. the last time and have some people I know over there.
      Being isolated will add even more to my focus (noticed this when I compared my pictures I took before N.Y. to those I take now, I definitely improved, hope this will happen with the BJJ too)

Comment

Is BJJ the only thing you train in?

Comment

I don't train any BJJ right now, I train some traditional JJJ with little ground game and some Judo where we spend a good amount of the time on newaze but with an emphasize on competition (trying to control your opponent for 25 sec.) instead of going for the tap. And both don't go for sweeps and shit but for "breaking control" by getting halfguard /guard and then get stand up again...

And TKD or course :XXbunny:

Comment

go train here:

http://teamempire.us/

Comment

Well they are not really located in New York...

Comment

Traveling to the US to learn BJJ is kinda like traveling to Rio to learn English.

Comment

Well this might be true to some point but I figured I can speak some English and not one word Portuguese so going to Brazil is sort of out of the picture for me. Plus I like NY+people and figured there would be some decent BJJ around right? Not talking about the fact that there are a lot of people who can recommend places.

Comment

Originally posted by f4n4n
                    Well this might be true to some point but I figured I can speak some English and not one word Portuguese so going to Brazil is sort of out of the picture for me. Plus I like NY+people and figured there would be some decent BJJ around right? Not talking about the fact that there are a lot of people who can recommend places.
                    You could come to michigan...

Comment

Originally posted by 3moose1
                      You could come to michigan...
                      Would you stop inviting men from the internet to your house?

Seriously, where are your parents? Haven't you ever watched Oprah or Dr Phill or hell I don't know, dateline?

You're parents need parental block!

Comment

Originally posted by f4n4n
                        Oh, I wasn't commenting on the quality of BJJ places, I just meant there were better things you could do stateside, like take part in our obesity epidemic and enjoy a hotdog eating contest, or join our public education system and enjoy the sensation of your brain melting.

But srsly now folks, doesn't Renzo teach in NYC?

Comment

Originally posted by GuiltySpark
                          Would you stop inviting men from the internet to your house?

Seriously, where are your parents? Haven't you ever watched Oprah or Dr Phill or hell I don't know, dateline?

You're parents need parental block!
                          Indeed, the entire state of michigan is my home!

lol

Comment

Originally posted by Emevas
                            Oh, I wasn't commenting on the quality of BJJ places, I just meant there were better things you could do stateside, like take part in our obesity epidemic and enjoy a hotdog eating contest, or join our public education system and enjoy the sensation of your brain melting.
                            Well I think I covered most of the stuff last time I stayed in NY .
                            I am not going to "just" train, it is the main purpose of my travel but I know the moment I give the word I'm coming back to NY there are people planing stuff and parties and what not and those people are more of the "good crazy" kind so I guess I am all set in that department.

Comment

to the OP:

i guess it all depends on what you're looking for (gi, nogi, mma, etc) and where you'll be staying.

there's a good number of bjj academies in nyc that have multiple classes per week.

http://maps.google.com is your fren, fren.

some in manhattan (in no particular order):

roninathletics.com
                              renzogracie.com
                              alliancebjjnyc.com
                              fighthouse.com
                              blitzcenter.com
                              etc
                              etc

there are a lot of quality schools in the outer boroughs too.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X