Racer X: Shotokan stylist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gezere
    WRONG. Astro Boy, 8 Man, Marine boy and Gigantor all predate SPEED RACER (MACH GO GO GO) being shown in syndication in the US

*Fucking douche should know his anime history. GOSH!*
    When I grow up, I want to be like Asia.

Comment

Give it time and they will make it exclusive. They wish to control everything!!!!!
      But by then all of us wogs will be gone and there will only be Scientologists.

Comment

Speed Racer sucks. Always have. Always will.

Comment

WRONG. Astro Boy, 8 Man, Marine boy and Gigantor all predate SPEED RACER (MACH GO GO GO) being shown in syndication in the US

*Fucking douche should know his anime history. GOSH!*
          1) Not the argument to make. I'll make a consession in number 2.
          2) First largely successful anime to cross over to American audiences; it had way more staying power, obviously, from my other posts, and if kids growing up in the 90s were to actually know any 60s anime, it might be because Speed Racer was brought back in the 90s and still plays today. Thank Speed Racer for that.
          3) When movies are made of any of the others, we can easily discuss how great they are.

But, really, to say that Speed Racer was a big pile of shit from beginning to end is kinda funny considering the influence it had, and still has on today's population. I'm saying it did so well in the US and really made it worth while to take a chance on anime to come after it.

If you'd like to argue that point, then by all means, go right ahead, but your pedantry on this was cute.

Comment

Speed Racer was a pile of shit.

Comment

A steaming pile of shit.

Comment

Of course it was.

And always will be.

Comment

Originally posted by nomamao
                  1) Not the argument to make. I'll make a consession in number 2.
                  You can't make an arguement because all the ones I listed aired in the US 4 yrs before Speed Racer was even created.

2) First largely successful anime to cross over to American audiences; it had way more staying power, obviously, from my other posts, and if kids growing up in the 90s were to actually know any 60s anime, it might be because Speed Racer was brought back in the 90s and still plays today. Thank Speed Racer for that.
                  WRONG
                  Episoded made and aired in the US.
                  Speed Racer 52 episodes
                  Astro Boy 193
                  Gigantor 83
                  Marine Boy 130
                  8 Man 56
                  Astro Boy was way more popular during its run than Speed Racer. There had been many attempts (even now) to remake it but there are many rights issues in place. FYI All these, save Marine Boy, aired in the 90s aired in the nineties as well. Astro Boy was brought back for the AGAIN on Cartoon Network.

3) When movies are made of any of the others, we can easily discuss how great they are.
                  This is were you fail. A movie being made means that someone was able to get the rights not how popular they are or they were the first to cross over. BTW 8 man already has a live action move made.

But, really, to say that Speed Racer was a big pile of shit from beginning to end is kinda funny considering the influence it had, and still has on today's population. I'm saying it did so well in the US and really made it worth while to take a chance on anime to come after it.

If you'd like to argue that point, then by all means, go right ahead, but your pedantry on this was cute.
                  Bottomline. You statement, "first anime to cross over to American audiences" is wrong and you have not ground stand on.
                  ______
                  Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
                  -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
                  The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
                  -Daniel Tosh

Comment

But, really, to say that Speed Racer was a big pile of shit from beginning to end is kinda funny considering the influence it had, and still has on today's population.
                    Steamboat Willie was pretty influential to animation, are you eagerly awaiting a live action movie of it?

Comment

Racist.

Comment

Originally posted by Errant108
                        Speed Racer was a pile of shit.
                        Speed Racer would have been better if it was made 10 years ago with the proposed casting of Johnny Depp as Speed and Henry Rollins as Racer X

Comment

I despise Johnny Depp.

Comment

then you would like it when Rollins beats his ass.

Comment

Originally posted by escrimador6
                              Steamboat Willie was pretty influential to animation, are you eagerly awaiting a live action movie of it?
                              See, first it was "popular"... now you are going off on "influential". But, neither of your points are both. Find something popular from the 60s that still is, and influential as fuck, and guarantee there's a movie in the making. Hence comic-book movies and rockumentaries. I'm not sure how else to explain that combination to you.

Comment

I think that fight scene was a nod to the fighting in the Matrix, as even the soundtrack for that scene seems oddly familiar, but that could just be me. Not shotokan. Sorry.

Actually, I really liked the CGI and the slick direction of Speed Racer. For anyone going "huh?" to that, you actually had to be in the theater watching it, or you just don't know.
                                Yeah, now that you mention it. But I also thought Agent Smith was also using Shotokan.

I was never a real fan of the SR cartoon, but the movie was passable way to spend $20+ with my son.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X