Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Questions on training a cutlass (Deported from the Armory)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What a thread. All over the map. I mean, what could ships, boy scouts, rum, sodomy and the lash possibly have in com...........oh.

Comment

A while back I got a free copy of Fighting with the Saber and Cutlass by Cold Steel. Its taught by Lynn Thompson and his fencing coach. If I wanted to develop fighting skill with a cutlass, I would consider it a very good investment.

Comment

Toby- are you ever going to put up video of you doing your forms with the steak knife, wood axe etc?

Comment

Steak knife forms coming shortly. Shipwright's adze could be filmed out at my brother's.
          What am I?:

I am ignorant, thieving, lying, hypocrital, violent and thoroughly self obssessed. I steal from others to make myself look better, only to make the item or information worse.

I go on and on and ON about how brave and strong and brilliant and wealthy I am, but in the end I'm all mouth and no trousers.

That's right children, I'm your average AMERICUNT! and I exemplify AMERICA!:911flag:

:occasion1

JohnnyCache's "retort" proving how much he knows about medicine and geography and First World countries:
          http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...=78188&page=22

Yes, through persistent lack of work and the cultivation of ignorance, he is a true American.

Comment

The cutlass became popular precise because you DON'T need a lot of training (relative to say, the sabre) to be effective with it. Just flip out and kill the whole room- not a lot to it.
            Originally posted by Cullion
            You sound like a foaming-at-the-mouth-loon out of Dr. Strangelove.
            Sometimes, we put Ricin in the Cocaine. :ninja7:

Comment

It's the ninja of swords?

Comment

Originally posted by MrBadGuy
                It's the ninja of swords?
                That'd be a hell of a bizarre Tarot card.

Comment

Originally posted by SFGOON
                  The cutlass became popular precise because you DON'T need a lot of training (relative to say, the sabre) to be effective with it. Just flip out and kill the whole room- not a lot to it.
                  Hmmm...

Like a Cane-knife.
                  What am I?:

I am ignorant, thieving, lying, hypocrital, violent and thoroughly self obssessed. I steal from others to make myself look better, only to make the item or information worse.

I go on and on and ON about how brave and strong and brilliant and wealthy I am, but in the end I'm all mouth and no trousers.

That's right children, I'm your average AMERICUNT! and I exemplify AMERICA!:911flag:

:occasion1

JohnnyCache's "retort" proving how much he knows about medicine and geography and First World countries:
                  http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...=78188&page=22

Yes, through persistent lack of work and the cultivation of ignorance, he is a true American.

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Christensen
                    Before you ask, no I'm not going to train cutlass. No, I'm not going to LARP as a pirate (except to scare people at stupid parties by flaunting our weapon laws maybe :blob5: ).

However....

This "Captain Fool" character has got me thinking two things:

1) How would one train to use a cutlass?It's just a bloody big cleaver that's wieldy. Pirates of the relevant era didn't use body armour as far as I know.
                    2) "Captain Fool" is not as cool as Captain Birdseye.
                    A cutlass is stupid.

I've driven a cutlass before. It was loud, large, dumb and couldn't brake very well. Had it not for the fact that I was only doing 25mph, I probably would've crashed into the sign that showed "30mph" around the bend.

Fuck Cutlasses, they are for mexicans.

Comment

Hmmm...

Like a Cane-knife.
                      More like a machete.

Comment

Before you ask, no I'm not going to train cutlass. No, I'm not going to LARP as a pirate (except to scare people at stupid parties by flaunting our weapon laws maybe :blob5: ).

However....

This "Captain Fool" character has got me thinking two things:

1) How would one train to use a cutlass?It's just a bloody big cleaver that's wieldy. Pirates of the relevant era didn't use body armour as far as I know.
                        2) "Captain Fool" is not as cool as Captain Birdseye.
                        I dont think people like you should be allowed around sharp shiney things.

Comment

Originally posted by Sarcastro
                          A cutlass is stupid.

I've driven a cutlass before. It was loud, large, dumb and couldn't brake very well. Had it not for the fact that I was only doing 25mph, I probably would've crashed into the sign that showed "30mph" around the bend.
                          When you learn some car control, mebbe they'll let you drive something heavier than 1500 pounds.

I had a 74 Cutlass Supreme, and it rooled. Primer gray, fuzzy dice and all. People got the fuck out of my way, as well they might have. (I actually *was* insured, despite appearances.) Bone stock, but the only time I can recall it getting out of shape was towing a humungo trailer halfway up the east coast in the slush/snow/ice one xmas morning; on one of those damn bridges in MD the trailer decided we weren't going fast enough and tried to pass me. Disquieting but no blood, ergo . . .

Sure, the HVAC went straight to hell -- on very cold mornings I sometimes had to use an ice scraper on the inside of the windshield, especially if I had a chatty passenger ("Can't you hold that thought, and exhale through your nose dammit?"). This did not inspire confidence in my fellow denizens of the road. But it is better to be feared than loved, if one cannot have both, no?

Re Dark & Stormy: Works best with the spiciest ginger beer you can find, though I've been making do with Goya. In any event, it needs a bunch of fresh squeezed lime to ease the sensation of dental decay.

Comment

I was addressing Toby & Pirate Ass when I said..."Shu the fuck up". You're ruining an amazing thread.

Comment

Originally posted by billy sol hurok
                              When you learn some car control, mebbe they'll let you drive something heavier than 1500 pounds.

I had a 74 Cutlass Supreme, and it rooled. Primer gray, fuzzy dice and all. People got the fuck out of my way, as well they might have. (I actually *was* insured, despite appearances.) Bone stock, but the only time I can recall it getting out of shape was towing a humungo trailer halfway up the east coast in the slush/snow/ice one xmas morning; on one of those damn bridges in MD the trailer decided we weren't going fast enough and tried to pass me. Disquieting but no blood, ergo . . .

Sure, the HVAC went straight to hell -- on very cold mornings I sometimes had to use an ice scraper on the inside of the windshield, especially if I had a chatty passenger ("Can't you hold that thought, and exhale through your nose dammit?"). This did not inspire confidence in my fellow denizens of the road. But it is better to be feared than loved, if one cannot have both, no?

Re Dark & Stormy: Works best with the spiciest ginger beer you can find, though I've been making do with Goya. In any event, it needs a bunch of fresh squeezed lime to ease the sensation of dental decay.
                              My car is still faster.

Comment

Gayzn.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X