Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Questions on training a cutlass (Deported from the Armory)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Toby Christensen
    Before you ask, no I'm not going to train cutlass. No, I'm not going to LARP as a pirate (except to scare people at stupid parties by flaunting our weapon laws maybe :blob5: ).

However....

This "Captain Fool" character has got me thinking two things:

1) How would one train to use a cutlass?It's just a bloody big cleaver that's wieldy. Pirates of the relevant era didn't use body armour as far as I know.
    2) "Captain Fool" is not as cool as Captain Birdseye.
    I suspect that answering this question as if it were serious will derail the thread entirely.

Nevertheless: somebody at the Historical Maritime Combat Association might be able to point you in a fruitful direction.

Arrrgh.

Comment

Originally posted by Phrost
      I lived in the Caribbean for 3 years. Fuck rum.
      I like the lash, you can keep sodomy though.
      Last edited by adouglasmhor; 7/01/2008 3:07pm, .

Comment

Phrost,

You ever try Goslings' Black Seal?

Comment

Nope. Honestly I'm a tequila and cognac man.

Not together.

Edit: I should like rum since I'm (alegedly) descended from a fucking pirate (Drake), so maybe I'll check it out.

Comment

Gosling's Black Seal to me tastes like sugar cane, goes great with Coke. We serve it specifically with Ginger Beer, it's called a Dark & Stormy.

Comment

Sounds sweet (both senses of the word).

I'll have to try it once I burn this stupid gut off successfully. The only calorie-laden drinks I touch these days are protein shakes.

Comment

AWESOME!!!!! AWESOME!!!!

THE MOJO CALLS YOU ALL!

Comment

Shut the fuck up.

Comment

Well I think "Captain Fool" has answered No. 2 question:

Is he as cool as Captain Birdseye?

No. Captain Birdseye wears a proper seaman's cap, is a grizzled sailor and sails a small clipper, having his crew subsist on fishfingers and vegetables. His whereabouts are at any time unknown, but that's fair enough.

Martial skill? Unknown again, but I'm sure the use of knives, chairs and other melee objects by his crew would be enough (plus nobody's going to rob a clipper carrying fishfingers)

Captain Fool admittedly is... a fool. He runs a singlestick school, which is great, but he has attached a very weird selling point to it.
                    What am I?:

I am ignorant, thieving, lying, hypocrital, violent and thoroughly self obssessed. I steal from others to make myself look better, only to make the item or information worse.

I go on and on and ON about how brave and strong and brilliant and wealthy I am, but in the end I'm all mouth and no trousers.

That's right children, I'm your average AMERICUNT! and I exemplify AMERICA!:911flag:

:occasion1

JohnnyCache's "retort" proving how much he knows about medicine and geography and First World countries:
                    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...=78188&page=22

Yes, through persistent lack of work and the cultivation of ignorance, he is a true American.

Comment

but at least it's a FREE singlestick club.... so technically there is no selling...
                      (group of clubs actually, and definitely not a school.)

What? You ARE as cool as Captain Birdseye? hard-to-believe.....

Comment

I would NEVER cast such a claim sir! I was comparing YOU to captain birdseye.
                        What am I?:

I am ignorant, thieving, lying, hypocrital, violent and thoroughly self obssessed. I steal from others to make myself look better, only to make the item or information worse.

I go on and on and ON about how brave and strong and brilliant and wealthy I am, but in the end I'm all mouth and no trousers.

That's right children, I'm your average AMERICUNT! and I exemplify AMERICA!:911flag:

JohnnyCache's "retort" proving how much he knows about medicine and geography and First World countries:

Yes, through persistent lack of work and the cultivation of ignorance, he is a true American.

Comment

The fuck up?

Shut it.

Comment

The point is singlestick is kept alive more by the Boy Scouts and has a proper lineage easily traced to them.

However I wouldn't send my nephews to Scouts if I thought the scoutmaster thought every day was International Talk Like A Pirate Day and he got it horribly wrong.

The Scouts are weird at best, but they have a solid operation. This is just silly, Mr Fool. Plain and simple.
                            What am I?:

Comment

Originally posted by Errant108
                              The fuck up?

Shut it.
                              And who might you be addressing, sir?
                              What am I?:

Comment

The shut up is fucked.
                                Lord Krishna said: I am terrible time the destroyer of all beings in all worlds, engaged to destroy all beings in this world; Of those heroic soldiers presently situated in the opposing army, even without you none will be spared.
                                Bhagavad Gita 11:32

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X