Report from the Toronto MMA Expo with Pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Report from the Toronto MMA Expo with Pics

Here is the link to the official website.

Here is a Sportsnet report

Being an exhibitor (shameless plug here

MMA Celebrities

Dan Henderson http://i30.tinypic.com/11bri1v.jpg

Matt Serra, who was the only celebrity teaching seminars http://i32.tinypic.com/icmqtk.jpg

Frank Trigg, who was promoting his clothing line http://i29.tinypic.com/33jojd0.jpg

Shonie Carter, dressed like only Shonie can dress (more about Mr. International later) http://i29.tinypic.com/fwoa2q.jpg

I missed getting Sean Sherk and Andre Arlovski, unfortunately.

I am going to break this up into several posts so I don't end up with one gigantic one, so stay tuned. Next up - mostly naked girls!

Liberal Use of Underdressed Women

There is a right way and a wrong way to wear hot pants. This girl has it right:

This girl is the closest thing I have ever seen to a living anime character.

This girl is sponsored by TapouT, and that is a real TapouT logo tattoo on her upper thigh.

In case anyone is wondering, I was wearing a burqa for the weekend.

Next: Bullshido goes to the expo....

Comment

Bullshido at the MMA Expo

As far as I know, CdnPaddy, Pumpkinh

Here are CdnPaddy and Pumpkinhead working out.

CdnPaddy managed to schmooze Pumpkinhead into one of the Matt Serra seminars (it pays to have connections!), and here she is with Pete Sell (Yum!), Dan Henderson, Matt Serra, and some idiot who jumped in to the pic at the last minute:

This is me and Paddy at our booth.

Yeah, we're spicy like that.

Next - my own personal pics of disaster. Hey, I was bored. Yee haw!

Comment

This post just goes to prove that a bored Bullshidoka with a camera is a dangerous thing.

That is a whole lotta black and white.

Camo

This fella is a serious fan of the Canadian Beijing Olympic Team, apparently. I wonder if he wandered over from one of the other shows?

Gelled Mullet? Check. Blue Camo pants? Check. WarriorWear shirt tucked deeply in to aforementioned camo pants? Check. Ladies and Gentlemen, we have a winnah!

I'll cover the clothing I would actually be seen in next.

Comment

Clothing and Gear

The shopping was sweeeet. As for gear, you could get Fairtex, Boes, Windy, and some new MMA glove called ProGrip (looked like illegal knuckle dusters to me, 1/4 inch padding over knuckles, no thumb protection) at various places around the show. I have to give top marks to Boes

Knees and Knuckles is a Canadian outfit that had some fun stuff. I like this shirt, especially the wording on the back:

I really like the Kimura Wearpink camo hat this shirt and these shorts

Assassin was there, with some neat stuff. I bought some of these shirts for my kids.

Last on the dock - discovering that Shonie Carter is more than just bling!

Comment

Mr. International Gets Bored

Please Post, Pumpkin!!!), where Shonie is basically manhandling CdnPaddy for a bit and teaching the throw. It was very cool to watch, but it did mean that my husband spent the next several hours smelling like a large sweaty black man.

So, that was it! Lots of fun, loud music from the Fight Network stage, great shopping, interesting people, expensive sushi, fighters and fans, for two days.

Comment

Originally posted by AeroChick
              She told me that Tapout paid $300 for the tattoo, and she gets all the TapouT clothing she wants.
              I'm not sure what's worse, a retarded company that would pay someone to do that, or the person that is retarded enough to get that tattooed in their body in exchange for an infinite amount of retarded clothing.

Anyways, great review.

Comment

One, i love you for the chick post (w/photos)

Two, this looked like a LOT of fun. I will be sure to try to attend the next one!

PROOF that I'm not a completely useless poster:
                http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...0&postcount=58

Originally posted by Cy Q. Faunce
                3moose1 is correct. Sig THAT, you fucker.

Originally posted by sochin101
                I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
                That is not conducive to passionate cunnilingus, my friend, let me assure you.
                Originally posted by HappyOldGuy
                I agree with moosey

Comment

Awesome writeup. Was gear discounted at all, or just normal price?

Also, what competitions/seminars were going on?

Comment

Originally posted by rangerdavy
                    Awesome writeup. Was gear discounted at all, or just normal price?

Also, what competitions/seminars were going on?
                    The clothing and gear market was definately competitive. We ended up reducing our prices for the stuff we carry when we got there, just to be on the same level. There were four retial clothing stores there fully stocked, plus some of the direct suppliers had their own booths. Let me tell you, it's tough on a retailer to compete with your own wholesaler at the same show. Anyways, tough for us, good for the consumer.

Like I said, Boes was discounting big time. I didn't really notice what the other gear suppliers were doing. If you wanted deals on clothing, you could surf from booth to booth to get the best price. One retailer had bins of Tapout, Clinchwear, Punnishment and all that sitting on the floor - $25 for each, but you had to dig for your size. It was also important to shop early - I missed out on some stuff I wanted because they were out of my size by Saturday afternoon. Next year, I'mma doing my shopping first!

Competition - NAGA ranked grappling tournament, run but Omar Salvosa. Gi on Saturday, No-Go on Sunday. Well run, as far as I could tell.

Seminars - they had 5 seminar mats, all running 1 hour sessions, all day Saturday and Sunday. Regular admission to the show was $15, a day of seminars cost you $95, and the whole weekend ran $150. As for who was theaching and what, it's too much to cover here - you can probably get the list off the website. Also, Matt Serra was teaching all weekend, but that was an extra charge.

Comment

"Oh, Canada...Oh, Canada..."
                      In summation your argument denotes a lack of intellectual honesty on your part. It is my contention that this matter would best be solved with fisticuffs. I believe I will be victorious in this regard.

Comment

Originally posted by AeroChick
                        All sorts of cool stuff that was oh so far from Missouri.
                        Thanks for the info. It sounds cool enough that I'll actually try to go to one if one ever swings by Saint Louis or KC. That is, if I won't die from the clouds of testosterone being emitted.

Comment

Did you spot Systema Fight Club seminar at all? I know Emmanuel has been doing it since the first one in 2005.

Comment

Shonie is awesome. He did a little seminar at my old school before he was on TUF. It was great and one of the things that got me interested in grappling. I've met him several times through the Shidokan organization and he is always a class act.

Comment

MMA clothing companies are have some really lame names.....Kimura Wear? Jesus christ that's stupid.

Good write up though.

Now lovely Lucifer, in hell so stark
                              King, and lord of sin and pride
                              With some mist his wits make dark.
                              He send thee grace to be thy guide

HE LOOKS LIKE A TINY BEAR MIXED WITH A CAT, AND THAT IS THE MEANEST ANIMAL MIXTURE EVER, BEAR FOR FUCKING STRENGTH, AND CAT FOR FUCKING MEAN!!! MOTHERFUCKER.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X