greatest martial arts comic ever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by moonwatcher
    shamo was great, the prison arc really changed ryo it was pretty awesome. I wonder what happened to his sister though.
    He killed his parents. Prison didn't change him he was already fucked up. Prision just brought the fucked up part out more. He decided to bite a guys dick off on his own.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Comment

Originally posted by Gezere
      Historically the video game to manga adaptations have been generally bad. Don't get me started on how they used to have the Garou Densetsu and
      SF linked a manga and manqua series. Udon has actually done a better job with SF than ANY Japanese SF manga (Ryu as Karate X!?!?!?!) I've ever read, and that goes back decades.

Shamo has an Ichi feel to it. I did like the movie.
      TOUGH is one of my favorites since I started reading it as the start of Pancrase in Japan.

Also check out KARATE SHOUKOUSHI KOHINATA MINORU. You get Karate, Mauy Thai, BJJ, MMA and the deadliest art of all BRAZILIAN NIN-JUTSU (BNJ)
      Nice to see some love for Tough, now that its being released in English, it's a kickass manga with a kickass OAV. It's more Grappler than Grappler Baki.

Comment

Manga/Anime to Video Games have almost unanimously sucked ass through a glass straw.

I'll have to check out TOUGH

and...
        BRAZILIAN NIN-JUTSU (BNJ)
        You gotta be shittin' me.

Comment

Originally posted by WorldWarCheese
          Manga/Anime to Video Games have almost unanimously sucked ass through a glass straw.
          GunGrave rebukes you.
          Originally posted by Goju - joe
          being a dick with skill is only marginally better than being a dick without skill.

Comment

Not sure if it's been mentioned so far but...

Shamo.

http://www.onemanga.com/Shamo/

20 year old kid named Ryo Narushima goes to jail for going psycho on his family with a knife.
            In jail he is beaten, raped in and other harassed in most ways thinkable.
            The inmates get lessons in full contact karate which sparks the interest of Ryo.

The series follow his life in and after prison as muscle for a druglord and later prizefighter.

No chi powers (except a very short filler).
            Karate,Judo,Thai,MMA just about all styles are covered.
            No "Super style" or Cut off hands with knife hand strike bullshit either.

Just pure unadultered badass free from any bullshido.

Edit: Fuck already mentioned.

oh well.

Comment

OK, in this New Grappler Baki thing I am 135 chapters and 11 pages into it before I see a single grappling move, which is an armbar. W T F? Why is this called Grappler anything? Why do they keep calling people who spin around and throw knives at each other Grapplers? I guess Manga is just beyond me. The last one I liked was Hikaru No Go.
              sigpic

Comment

In Baki they use "grappler" as a generic term for fighter. I figured it was a translation issue or something.

Comment

There are such wonderful ideas in many of the Japanese cartoons/animated stuff, but most of the time the graphics simply kill it for me.

Wanna hate me? It's easy... Read on:

I hate passionately almost anything animated from Japan.

Those awkward, huge globe-eyes, that stereotypical drawing style that makes Alice in Wonderland look like Nils Holgersson look like Pokemon look like any of that MA- or ninja-related shit look like animated p0rn...

Yeah, yeah, I don't know what I'm talking about... I don't know THE REAL(TM) Japanese cartoons. And yeah, I could have stayed out of this thread. But - the thrill wouldn't let me.

Now flame me with your mighty swords (no sexual connotations, brethren...).

CLICK & WATCH
                  :
                  I got BULLSHIDO ON TV!!!

"Bruce Lee sucks because I slammed my nuts with nunchucks trying to do that stupid shit back in the day. I still managed to have two kids. I forgive you Bruce.
                  " - by Vorpal

Comment

My favorite animated anything is Boondocks, with Afro-Samurai (By the same team) coming in a close second. After that I do like Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, and Hellsing.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Tonuzaba

Yeah, yeah, I don't know what I'm talking about... I don't know THE REAL(TM) Japanese cartoons. And yeah, I could have stayed out of this thread. But - the thrill wouldn't let me.

Now flame me with your mighty swords (no sexual connotations, brethren...).
                      LOL, Wing Tsun.

That good enough for ya?
                      Originally posted by Goju - joe
                      being a dick with skill is only marginally better than being a dick without skill.

Comment

He killed his parents. Prison didn't change him he was already fucked up. Prision just brought the fucked up part out more. He decided to bite a guys dick off on his own.
                        I buy that, but the dick biting was rape defense I'll give him at least that.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Spector
                          In Baki they use "grappler" as a generic term for fighter. I figured it was a translation issue or something.
                          格闘技 KAKUTOGI is generally translated as GRAPPLING SKILL or COMBAT SKILL. "Freestyle" Fighters in Japan, especially the 80s and early 90s, were refered to as Grapplers.
                          ______
                          Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

-Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
                          -Daniel Tosh

Comment

格闘技 KAKUTOGI is generally translated as GRAPPLING SKILL or COMBAT SKILL. "Freestyle" Fighters in Japan, especially the 80s and early 90s, were refered to as Grapplers.
                            So it's "grappler" in the sense that a pro-wrestler would be a "grappler" if pro-wrestling were real and not staged?
                            Lone Wolf McQuade Final Fight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmrDe_mYUXg

Comment

Originally posted by Wounded Ronin
                              So it's "grappler" in the sense that a pro-wrestler would be a "grappler" if pro-wrestling were real and not staged?
                              Pretty much. Remember that Japanese Pro wrestlers were the ones that started MMA in Japan long before the UFC. They had "shoot" (real matches) and even mixed arts matches going back to the 80s. Thats why the MMA culture in Japan was built around the Prowrestling culture.
                              ______

RIP SOLDIER

-Gene, GODHAND

-Daniel Tosh

Comment

learn something new everyday

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X