Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tharuz
    I heard M.Bison's fisting is shiny.

it illuminates the whole room, kind of like a human lamp.
    I'm sure it's electrifying.

ZING!

Comment

Originally posted by Errant108
      This shit does not qualify as martial arts comics. The fact you think this shit is great just means your skull needs an enema.

The best martial arts comic is, was, and ever shall be Dragon Tiger Gate. The fact that you don't know this can only be attributed to the fact that you are an ignorant illiterate Japanophile.

Other great MA comics:

Jjang!!!
      Legendary Couple
      Four Constables
      STORM RIDERS!!!
      You mention Dragon Tiger Gate (Oriental Heroes in the US) and don't mention the epic Chinese Hero (aka Blood Sword in the US in the late 80s) for shame!

I also loved Mega Dragon & Tiger and Heaven Sword/ Dragon Saber (too many versions to count) Drunken Fist, and Force of Buddha's Palm.
      ______
      Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
      -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
      The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
      -Daniel Tosh

Comment

Originally posted by 3moose1
        DragonBall Z joke: How many supersayains does it take to screw in a light bulb?

answer: One, but it takes 12 episodes to do it...
        We used to say the same thing back in the 80s. The good thing is that you could miss a show and all you would miss was talk about power, flexing, and someone gritting their teeth.
        ______
        Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

-Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
        -Daniel Tosh

Comment

Originally posted by Gezere
          We used to say the same thing back in the 80s. The good thing is that you could miss a show and all you would miss was talk about power, flexing, and someone gritting their teeth.
          I never watched DBZ, i have attempted to since, but failed because i couldn't drag myself through it. I have no stamina for 10 episodes of someone powering up and blowing up thier opponent.

This shit does not qualify as martial arts comics. The fact you think this shit is great just means your skull needs an enema.

The best martial arts comic is, was, and ever shall be Dragon Tiger Gate.
          The movie was over rated. Donnie Yen posed for 52% of that movie. The remaining 48% was OK though. Alot of windmilling.
          Chaos? Panic?... Disorder??.........................​My work here is done.

Comment

Four pages and still no Hokuto no Ken love? Nothing beats a Sylvester Stallone looking, army destroying, Bruce Lee shouting, pressure pointing prowess of a 2000-year-old-CMA fighter in a Mad Max post-apocolyptic era. Well almost nothing. He still has trouble finding a glass of water.

With that said, I don't really feel that Hajime No Ippo should be excluded as a contender for "greatest martial arts comic ever". It's presentation of boxing has most, if not all, of the MA-oriented romantic qualities associated with all the other comics mentioned. In addition, the development and multidimensionality of its characters and their styles is just top notch when compared to other comics in the same category. Great read for any comic reader and/or Japanophile.

Comment

I should also mention King of Hell.... It's Korean, and hilarious. Random, and not alot of big fight scenes, but it's alot of fun. Check it out if you like MA comedy genre.

Comment

Originally posted by StimmedPenguin
                Four pages and still no Hokuto no Ken love? Nothing beats a Sylvester Stallone looking, army destroying, Bruce Lee shouting, pressure pointing prowess of a 2000-year-old-CMA fighter in a Mad Max post-apocolyptic era. Well almost nothing. He still has trouble finding a glass of water.
                There is ALWAYS Hokuto No Ken love from me. I've watched every episode numerous times. I am also hoping they will continue the story with Ryu (Raoh's son) he was last seen being trained by Ken and told the they will meet again to see if he will be the next successor.
                ______

RIP SOLDIER

-Gene, GODHAND

-Daniel Tosh

Comment

Gezere,

I'm halfway through Chinese Hero now. I like it, but I just don't got the same love for it that I do Dragon Tiger Gate or Jjang.

Heaven Sword & Dragon Sabre rocks, but I still got way too much love for Legendary Couple, since it's based off of my favorite Jin Yong novel.

Comment

Syberia, the Dragon Tiger Gate movie was fun, but it doesn't live up to the manhua. They'd have to make a serial of movies to do that.

Now...what I'd really like to see is one of Gu Long's "Lu Xiao Feng" stories told in a modern setting like Dragon Tiger Gate. That would be fucking awesome.

Also, those of you jerking off to Dragon Ball Z & Street Fighter, get yourself a little culture & familiarize yourself with Lu Xiao Feng.

Comment

Oh, and if you like King of Hell, Syberia, you gotta read Jjang. I think it was being sold over here as "The Boss".

Comment

Oh, and if you like King of Hell, Syberia, you gotta read Jjang. I think it was being sold over here as "The Boss".
                        Will do, I'll look it up. Thanks!

Syberia, the Dragon Tiger Gate movie was fun, but it doesn't live up to the manhua. They'd have to make a serial of movies to do that.
                        Never read it, will have to check it out though... You seem to like it. I grew up in the middle of nowhere and am really only new to the whole scene of books and film beyond hollywood and other english speaking productions.

I have been liberated from my narrow mindedness by Jet Li, of all things.

Comment

Hey, I have mad love for Jet Li.

Comment

Oh, and how you people could talk about old school manga like Hokuto no Ken & not mention one of the greatest ever..."Crying Freeman"?

I lost my virginity to that manga!

Comment

Oh, and how you people could talk about old school manga like Hokuto no Ken & not mention one of the greatest ever..."Crying Freeman"?

I lost my virginity to that manga!
                              You're starting to sound like Q-chan now... Step away from the animated lady...

Hey, I have mad love for Jet Li.
                              Me to. But I'm in a moral quandry about that. On the one hand, he makes MA movies serious and fun at the same time... Yet... he cant really act...

Except for Once upon a time in China. He does Stoic well.

Comment

Jet Li plays an archetypal character. Like John Wayne, he's good for one type of roll, and that's it. He does that roll extremely well. Put him outside of that, & he's awkward. I do have to say I enjoyed his acting in "Forbidden Kingdom" & "The One".

As for sounding like Q-chan, I wasn't referring to the women in the manga, I was referring to the young lady I was reading them with. I have very fond memories of "Crying Freeman".

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X