Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taiyoku?

Has anyone heard of Taiyoku?

I followed one of the google adds up above to a website where the head instructor claims he has a 6th degree blackbelt in Taiyoku, further states that this is a mixed martial art.

I've never heard of this before and after a google search I have yet to find anything that really says any additional information.

Help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Originally posted by Art

I followed one of the google adds up above to a website where the head instructor claims he has a 6th degree blackbelt in Taiyoku, further states that this is a mixed martial art.

I've never heard of this before and after a google search I have yet to find anything that really says any additional information.

Because it's more than one art mixed together. At least that's what he probably claims. So it's technically a Mixed Martial Art, but nothing you'd want a piece of.

Comment

Closest spelling I know of. From Wikipedia:

"The Taikyoku series is a series of kata in use in several types of karate. "Taikyoku" is translated as "first course" or "basic ultimate." The Taikyoku kata were developed by Gichin Funakoshi as a way to simplify the principles of the already simplified Pinan/Heian series."

Link?
      I'm not giving you my opinion, I'm telling you how it is.
      Can't decide which evil black rifle to buy? My thoughts.

Comment

Originally posted by mrm1775

"The Taikyoku series is a series of kata in use in several types of karate. "Taikyoku" is translated as "first course" or "basic ultimate." The Taikyoku kata were developed by Gichin Funakoshi as a way to simplify the principles of the already simplified Pinan/Heian series."

Link?
        That's the only use of the term I've come across. They are a group of VERY simple kata- e.g., a simple pattern of steps with alternating block and punch. I think they're used to get people used to the concept of kata while they learn the fundamentals.

Perhaps he's using a different word. Or maybe (more likely) it's just a made up name for his personal style.

Comment

Tai Kyoku is something different. Tai Kyoku Ken is the Japanese name for Tai Chi.

Comment

Originally posted by mrm1775

Link?
            I ran into this too. There are some videos on youtube of the patterns . . . turns out I know them only as a different name.

Comment

Originally posted by Rooster
              Tai Kyoku is something different. Tai Kyoku Ken is the Japanese name for Tai Chi.
              You mean Tai Chi Chuan/Taijiquan.

Taikyoku = TaiChi/Taiji
              Ken = Chuan/Quan

Yeah I did it. I nitpicked. Do something.
              ______
              Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
              -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
              The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
              -Daniel Tosh

Comment

The Taiyoku you are talking about is from Taiyoku Jujitsu Karate it started about 40 years ago mixing jujitsu and Karate. But now has added Muay Thai and a little from alot of other styles. many of the Black Belts call it Taiyoku now, It takes a long time to say Taiyoku jujitsu karate muay thai ........ The Taiyoku name comes from the series of katas in the Karate side of the Mix. I also thick Taiyoku was ment to be Taikyoku but the k was lost in translation.

I hope this helps

Comment

If you're affiliated with these folks, maybe you should say something to that effect and perhaps elucidate further the history and practices of your organization.

Comment

Originally posted by tjkmma
                    The Taiyoku you are talking about is from Taiyoku Jujitsu Karate it started about 40 years ago mixing jujitsu and Karate. But now has added Muay Thai and a little from alot of other styles. many of the Black Belts call it Taiyoku now, It takes a long time to say Taiyoku jujitsu karate muay thai ........ The Taiyoku name comes from the series of katas in the Karate side of the Mix. I also thick Taiyoku was ment to be Taikyoku but the k was lost in translation.

I hope this helps
                    Who was the originator and where was this developed?

Comment

The start of the style came from Brian Anderson and Derek Soroka . The Karate side came from Kyokushin Karate, They thought very highly of Ron Sittrop. but I know other karate styles played a part . The Jujitsu came from Aiki-Jujitsu. But it looks more like Bjj now. They started it so they could get rid of the weak points of each style. It developed in western Canada mosty in Edmonton and Vancouver. Brian Anderson is in Vancouver now and derek Soroka is in the Edmonton area.

Comment

Is there a governing body or head somewhere?

How about a website to explain a little bit about the style?

Finally . . . yes I have lots of questions . . . how would one confirm membership of an individual and/or dan ranking of someone in this style.

Thanks

Comment

The start of the style came from Brian Anderson and Derek Soroka . The Karate side came from Kyokushin Karate, They thought very highly of Ron Sittrop. but I know other karate styles played a part . The Jujitsu came from Aiki-Jujitsu. But it looks more like Bjj now. They started it so they could get rid of the weak points of each style. It developed in western Canada mosty in Edmonton and Vancouver. Brian Anderson is in Vancouver now and derek Soroka is in the Edmonton area.
                          And i bet they both suck.

Comment

Originally posted by Art

Sorry Art I Just read the first part of what you posted the first time. I did not see the 6th dan part. The only people that could claim that Rank or higher is Brain Anderson Derek Soroka, Spencer Aderson, Mike Woodford or loraul loucks. If It is not one of them. I would have to look into it. there could be someone in Vanouver I do not know about, but I do not think so.

we are not talking about the WTF. you can call up the Kukkiwon if someone claims they have a WTF TKD Black belt. Mixed Martial Arts is new most Mixed Schools do not have a World Body. most schools that mixed years ago pissed off there instructors and organisations from the style before the mix and it was the same with this style they would say your bastardising the style. you do not need grappling I would not let any one close to me any way. now alot of the guys that said that call them selfs MMA and they do BJJ .This is a small regional style. The Instructors keep track of there own. you would have to talk to the Instructors to find out ranks.

I talked to Mike woodford yesterday and his new web site is just a month old and does not have every thing up yet. the martial arts info part was put in by the website company. But he is planning on putting up the Ranks of all the Black Belts, style info and history.
                            I forgot to get the website but i will get it for you if you like. If you need info fast you should call him he knows allot more then I do. and said he would be happy to talk to anyone that would like to know about the style.

I hope that helped

so who's rank would you like to know?

Years ago we had one of the purple belts that was kicked out, Teaching jujitsu as a black belt at one of the kickboxing schools in town a month later. every year or so I get another story about this guy, doesn't have a black belt in anything but now he is a master. he has a yellow belt in TKD and a purple with us and now he is a master. kicked off the police force for pulling his gun on another policemen in the locker room. He told us he was not shaving for work becouse he was under cover. Dale kliparchuk i think thats how to spell his last name. this guy is someone never to train with.

and why?

are you thinking of training in the style?

Or are you from another school? and would just like to know?

Comment

Mixed Martial Arts is new most Mixed Schools do not have a World Body. most schools that mixed years ago pissed off there instructors and organisations from the style before the mix and it was the same with this style they would say your bastardising the style.
                              What I'm gathering from your explanation, which was suggested by another poster earlier in the thread, is that you have simply mixed the styles and call it mixed martial arts. Round here and anyone else who I have spoken with, equate mixed martial arts with the sport. Is the training that is done focused towards MMA competition or is it simply a mix of styles being taught within the curriculum?

Personally I see so many schools using the terms mixed martial arts when they don't teach it. I feel that this is simply jumping on the marketing bandwagon because currently it is trendy to do so.

I talked to Mike woodford yesterday and his new web site is just a month old and does not have every thing up yet.
                              I have found two sites associated with Mike Woodford. Which one is the old site and which is the new site.

http://www.edmontonmixedmartialarts.ca/
                              http://tjkkarate.com/

I also notice that both sites mention the use of the pro-star MMA curriculum.

and why?

are you thinking of training in the style?

Or are you from another school? and would just like to know?
                              I'm more curious than anything. As what for what I do for a living many times I'm asked about martial arts schools in the area fairly often. When I come across one I don't know of I look into it a little so I can either recommend it or not. I ran across the first website listed from the google ads that appear on bullshido. I followed thinking it was an MMA school.

You had mentioned this in a previous post . . .
                              The start of the style came from Brian Anderson and Derek Soroka . The Karate side came from Kyokushin Karate, They thought very highly of Ron Sittrop. but I know other karate styles played a part . The Jujitsu came from Aiki-Jujitsu. But it looks more like Bjj now.
                              . . . in terms of the grappling looking more like BJJ, is this something that the instructors are actively training in, in order to offer it through their school or is this the standard "I think this is what BJJ looks like so I'm going to teach it as such" line that is often heard. I don't mean to sound aggressive in the questioning, just trying to cover my bases here.

Thanks for the help.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X