Had my first competition tonight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had my first competition tonight

It was only an interclub thing and I lost all 3 fights (go me) but it helped me see the difference between rolling in class and fighting/competing. In class I can roll solidly for 30-40 minutes but tonight, i was totally and utterley fucked in less than 5 minutes.

My first fight was against the best Blue belt in the club so I didn't expect to win but managed to hold him off - he won on points.

Second fight I was so gassed that I tapped to a poorly done guillotine because it was enough to stop me catching my breath.

Third one was a rematch with the previous guy and I fared a lot better. Apparently I was actually ahead on points but he got mount in the last 4 seconds and took the lead.

I learned that I really must take up Judo again as my standing game consists of waiting to be taken down or attempting very poor tai toshi's and that I HAVE to start sprint training again once my foot heals from the Quad biking accident.

my ears feel quite sore and one is bruised so my ever vigilant GF is watching for cauliflowers - "I don't want you looking like that guy you love in the UFC" - talking about Randy.

All in all I loved it and can't wait to compete properly. Hopefully I'll have sorted my cardio out a bit and my compression shorts will have arrived from the States so I don't have to worry about my poor little spuds from being hurt all the time.
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

What about skipping for cardio? I heard that was pretty good!

Good effort anyway mate!!!
    "So, yeah, Zen teachers may well insult you, work you to the bone, hit you with sticks, shout verbal abuse at you, and punch the shit out of you.
    And when the shit's been punched out of you, you might just find that you're far better-off without it." - Vieux Normand

"So in short, BJJ wins again. BJJ, and chainmail." - TheMightyMcClaw

"On bullshido, your opinions are not sacred, neither are your feelings." - Scrapper

"You entered the lions' den. Don't bitch if you get eaten." - danniboi07

"Needless to say, it's much easier to clear a bunch of drunk kids out of your house when you're yelling GTFO and carrying a samurai sword." - DerAuslander

"Eventually, I realized it doesn't matter what art you train, what matters is the method in which you train. Training in an alive manner, under skilled and qualified instruction, is the single most important aspect of gaining martial skill. All else is window dressing." - JNP : Saying it how it is!

Comment

If you can think about how you felt while competing, you may remember that you were holding your breath a lot. More competition will help you quit doing that but it does steal all of your wind. If you loved it, then your attitude was right, and thats more important to find out than turning into one of those guys that always get pissed when they lose. Sure sounds like fun. Good on you.

Comment

I don't think I was holding my breath but it's possible. I always used to hold my breath when lifting weights when I started out so I'll have to keep an eye on it. I know for a fact that I wasn't breathing properly though.

I'm not an overly competitve person by nature and could happily carry on training without competing but it feels like something's missing. Plus I love the buzz of fighting, maybe I'll even win one day!

Need to work on learning side control escapes, that's my biggest weakness at the moment. The Blue belt had me so tight that I had no chance of moving at all.
        " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
        X