Fighting / self defense

Comment

Originally posted by aaaargh
        Effective for what?
        Curing insomnia :new_sleep

Comment

Originally posted by brouslee
          Fighting / self defense
          Surely you've seen the proof! (old, I know, but still)

[url]http://youtube.com/watch?v=0W1ym3yggR4"]YouTube - Tai Chi Masters Battle[/am

Comment

Read thread about fighting in space

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=71265

Comment

Yes, taijiQUAN taught well can be a good standup style. But just because you do pushing hands and compliant one step drills doesn't count. However there are some places that teach it as a contact style despite most people doing it being hippies and old people. Check around on the CMA forum for some discussions along with some videos on good taichi. If you are really wanting to practice it though, prepare for digging through a lot of bullshido and forms with brightly colored pajamas first.

Comment

So, the above video shows something I see a lot in Taijiquan applications: one guy parries some punches, them pushes the other one back and he stumbles back ten feet.
                Now, in a fighting situation, what exactly is to prevent such an individual from just running back at you and starting the whole process again?
                Unless he trips on a curb or impails himself against the spikes on the walls of Thunderdome, it doesn't seem like that's going to really *do* much in a fight.
                The fool thinks himself immortal,
                If he hold back from battle;
                But old age will grant him no truce,
                Even if spears spare him.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMightyMcClaw
                  So, the above video shows something I see a lot in Taijiquan applications: one guy parries some punches, them pushes the other one back and he stumbles back ten feet.
                  Now, in a fighting situation, what exactly is to prevent such an individual from just running back at you and starting the whole process again?
                  Unless he trips on a curb or impails himself against the spikes on the walls of Thunderdome, it doesn't seem like that's going to really *do* much in a fight.
                  Yeah it sucks that sometimes it looks like "hey man give me back my candy -unf-". I'd like to see more of the flipping punishment I recieve in class, you see that toward the end of the video.

Either way, I'm putting too much srs bzns on the lulz forum.
                  Last edited by XXIV; 6/10/2008 9:03am, .

Comment

You have to time it so that the guy stumbles into the path of a locomotive or, in China proper, one of those trucks stuffed full of former intellectuals being brought out to the countryside to work in the rice patties to rid themselves of their counter-revolutionary tendencies. As capitalism continues evolving in China, the truck may instead hold a bunch of home karaoke machines.

At any rate, ultimately there is nothing that keeps anyone from running back and starting the process again. The videos are generally just context-free drills or practicing. There are plenty of other applications though --mostly working to get in close and get the opponent in a compromised position, so one can get in a decisive blow (or just run away, or stab him, or hop on a passing truck to the rice patties...):

This thread is a handy one: Taijiquan (ATTN: Boyd) - No BS Martial Arts

Comment

Originally posted by Rivington
                      You have to time it so that the guy stumbles into the path of a locomotive or, in China proper, one of those trucks stuffed full of former intellectuals being brought out to the countryside to work in the rice patties to rid themselves of their counter-revolutionary tendencies.
                      I lol'd. When fighting, make sure to always use taiji on subway platforms.

Comment

The one time I crossed hands with a Tai Chi Chuan guy, he floated me firmly into a wall. Respect.
                        Check out the Bullshido.net Western Martial Arts Forum for all things Western, martial and arty.

Bartitsu: the Gentlemanly Art of Self Defence (est. 1899)

Comment

Oh, and just as a note, "Master Wong" is one of those YouTube guys one should only watch for comic value.

Comment

Originally posted by Rivington
                            Oh, and just as a note, "Master Wong" is one of those YouTube guys one should only watch for comic value.
                            Isn't that pretty much ALL of youtube?

Comment

You misunderstand. The guy who gets pushed is already dead. He just doesn't know it. His molecules are vibrating with t3h d34dly chi death touch and sometime between the touch and 99 years later, he will keel over dead.

This may not stop you from getting a beating NOW, but at least you have the satisfaction of knowing that eventually you will triumph.
                              Jesus loves you. I think you're an asshole.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X