Anecdote to do with MA ignorance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anecdote to do with MA ignorance

Today I was haning out with some mutual friends when we started talking about MA (it started because I was showiung one of of my mates the fireman carry throw). So yea I was just showing one of my friends some escapes(headlock, full nelson etc.) when a TKD blackbelt decided to show me some Self defense.

"Grab my wrist" he says so I do and I stand there for atleast 15 seconds whilst he tries to get some kind of standing armbar on me I didn't mention that I still had one hand free and both legs and could of delivered several blows. Then we got to talking about headlock escapes so I did the one where you push against the person and they push back so you put your closest leg to there's behind them and slide back. From there I continued to show him the Americana and armbar, "that stuff is stupid" he says. Then I show him a tri-pod sweep again he calls that "stupid" and decides to show me how it's done scissoring at my legs and failing.

Then another guy who I know a little says "alot of the stuff I'm learning I couldn't show you guys cause its lethal" and I decided to bite "what are you doing I say." turns out he is teaching ninjitsu to himself. I tried to explain the controversy surrounding it but he wouldn't listen. I wish you guys were there to experience it.

Laugh loudly at him until he trys somthing stupid then floor him. Then every time he trys to get back up, keep flooring him until you get bored and he starts crying.

Comment

Anytime, and I mean ANYTIME, someone says they are going to show you some self-defence "moves", and then says "Grab my wrist", you should throat punch them and walk away.

When was the last time anyone saw a fight start with a wrist grab?
      Jesus loves you. I think you're an asshole.

Comment

Clever!
        Most people would say an AIKIDO guy comes up and goes GRAB MY WRIST.
        You hear teakwondo and you think KICK TO THE HEAD.

You, sir, mixed it up so now people are like, well shit that doesn't seem like th eusual, that has to be true.

From there I continued to show him the Americana and armbar, "that stuff is stupid" he says. Then I show him a tri-pod sweep again he calls that "stupid" and decides to show me how it's done scissoring at my legs and failing.

Then another guy who I know a little says "alot of the stuff I'm learning I couldn't show you guys cause its lethal" and I decided to bite "what are you doing I say." turns out he is teaching ninjitsu to himself. I tried to explain the controversy surrounding it but he wouldn't listen. I wish you guys were there to experience it.
        ...because you REALLY wouldn't believe what happened next. We ordered pizza (they offered to pay because I schooled them so bad) and 18 year old twin sluts show up to deliever the pizza!
        Their horny because they can see I'm sweating from wrestling and want to have sex with all of us but get this! The OTHER GUYS turn out to be gay! They went home, I had free pizza and sex with twin 18 year olds and when they left I was SO good at sex they gave me a ticket they had to the next UFC and I'm their date.
        True story.
        You are not free whose liberty is won by the rigour of other, more righteous souls. Your are merely protected. Your freedom is parasitic, you suck the honourable man dry and offer nothing in return. You who have enjoyed freedom, who have done nothing to earn it

Comment

True, wrist grabs don't start fights. For women they can be more common, however. Yet, wrist grabs have happened to me several times when the distance is closed, and clinching occurs. When things get messy, the wrists can often be grabbed.

When I teach self defense, I do teach wrist grab defenses, but I try to put them into a different context. For example, there are ways to fish your opponent into grabbing your wrists. I usually teach these methods from the clinch. For example, from the clinch I would teach to grab the opponent's groin, which usually results in your opponent grabbing your wrist to take it off. That is a more realistic way of teaching them.

The biggest problem with wrist grabs, in my opinion, are the other hand. This is why any wrist technique should be pre-empted with a strike or a kick. A kick to the hip can check your opponent's width so that his striking or free arm has trouble hitting you, thus giving you time to flow into the lock.

I dunno, I love wrist locks. I've only once been able to use one in a Submission tourney. Other than that, you need the option for a strike prior to the lock...otherwise they are way too hard to put on. In fact, I'd say they are near useless if you cannot strike prior, as people just wiggle out of it.

My two cents!

Comment

i'll let people try to show me something once but then i ask them to try again and actually try to counter it. people who don't do any kind of active sparring/rolling don't understand that in a fight someone isn't just going to stand there with their hands down waiting for you to make a move. don't even get me started on people who have no idea what they're talking about saying "that doesn't really work" or "that's stupid" to something that obviously works. the other day i was watching something and someone had someone in a triangle. both people that were over told me they don't believe you could choke someone like that. i wanted to just grab them and put them to sleep. instead i responded with a simple "shut the fuck up".

Comment

People like that really annoy me. I was at my friend's gym who is a TKD BB's gym and i told him about all the stuff i learned doing mma. I was talking to him about leg kicks but he tells me he rather kick for the head. I explain to him that head kicks are usually pretty risky cuz your opponent might take you down and leg kicks are a useful means to set people up for combos or head kicks later.

He tells me that i would not hit him with leg kicks cuz he thinks he is very fast. His school does no contact sparring (if ever there was a more ridiculous thing) encouraging kicks only most of them to the head and absolutely no punches of any kind. I tell him that in a full contact sparring situation or real life fight i will be able to hit his legs more times than he will be able to avoid them.

He starts tells me that its impossible and refers to his "super fast" reflexes as proof so i told him to put his shin guards and gloves on and we will find out right now. He starts backing off making excuses and shit.

I hate people that talk shit and dont step up to the plate when called on it.

Comment

Originally posted by thedogwave
                both people that were over told me they don't believe you could choke someone like that. i wanted to just grab them and put them to sleep. instead i responded with a simple "shut the fuck up".
                Actions do speak louder than words. Unfortunately idiocy deafens ears.

$5 says that even if you did choke them they'd say "well that's not realistic. If I were allowed to use my d3ad1y on you, you wouldn't stand a chance. Stupid murder laws."
                "The pedant is he who finds it impossible to read criticism of himself without immediately reaching for his pen and replying to the effect that the accusation is a gross insult to his person. He is, in effect, a man unable to laugh at himself."Sigmund Freud, The Ego and the Id.

Comment

"that guy" thread - No BS Martial Arts

PROOF that I'm not a completely useless poster:
                  http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...0&postcount=58

Originally posted by Cy Q. Faunce
                  3moose1 is correct. Sig THAT, you fucker.

Originally posted by sochin101
                  I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
                  That is not conducive to passionate cunnilingus, my friend, let me assure you.
                  Originally posted by HappyOldGuy
                  I agree with moosey

Comment

You were showing your friends your martial arts moves so brought that crap on yourself. Why do martial artists go around showing off moves????

Comment

Originally posted by OniSan81
                      ...There are ways to fish your opponent into grabbing your wrists. I usually teach these methods from the clinch. For example, from the clinch I would teach to grab the opponent's groin, which usually results in your opponent grabbing your wrist to take it off. That is a more realistic way of teaching them.
                      Do you actually mean to say that you teach people that they should try to goad an attacker to grab their wrists?
                      [ petterhaggholm.net | blog | essays ]
                      [ self defence: general thoughts | bjj: “don’t go to the ground”? ]
                      “The plural of anecdote is anecdotes, not data.”

Comment

Originally posted by The Badger
                        You were showing your friends your martial arts moves so brought that crap on yourself. Why do martial artists go around showing off moves????
                        There is great thruth in this.
                        You are not free whose liberty is won by the rigour of other, more righteous souls. Your are merely protected. Your freedom is parasitic, you suck the honourable man dry and offer nothing in return. You who have enjoyed freedom, who have done nothing to earn it

Comment

kick them in the nuts

Comment

Originally posted by Petter
                            Do you actually mean to say that you teach people that they should try to goad an attacker to grab their wrists?
                            s

some wrestlers goad people into grabbing their wrists as set ups for other moves.

i do it to set up my highcrotch for example. but then again, that's straight wrestling.

and for fuck's sake, he's a ninja. :ninja7:

Comment

Originally posted by GuiltySpark

...because you REALLY wouldn't believe what happened next. We ordered pizza (they offered to pay because I schooled them so bad) and 18 year old twin sluts show up to deliever the pizza!
                              Their horny because they can see I'm sweating from wrestling and want to have sex with all of us but get this! The OTHER GUYS turn out to be gay! They went home, I had free pizza and sex with twin 18 year olds and when they left I was SO good at sex they gave me a ticket they had to the next UFC and I'm their date.
                              True story.

Video or it didn't happen!

:bowdown:
                              Jesus loves you. I think you're an asshole.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X