Throws On Different Surfaces

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Throws On Different Surfaces

The question of just how damaging throws can be on different surfaces is an old one. Personally, I've only taken throws in the Dojo and on grass. While they can certainly be stunning, I have yet to be incapacitated by one. Though, I do know that impact can be quite damaging as I dislocated my shoulder after fudging one of my own throws, over-rotating and landing at just the wrong angle on wrestling mats.

So, barring head/neck spikes, in your experience how much does it suck to get Ippon'd on different surfaces (ring/octagon, gravel, concrete, etc.)?

While i've never been ippon'd on gravel or concrete, i can say, with my common sense completely intact, that "suck" would be an understatement.

PROOF that I'm not a completely useless poster:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...0&postcount=58

Originally posted by Cy Q. Faunce
    3moose1 is correct. Sig THAT, you fucker.

Originally posted by sochin101
    I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
    That is not conducive to passionate cunnilingus, my friend, let me assure you.
    Originally posted by HappyOldGuy
    I agree with moosey

Comment

I was thrown with a left seo-nage (landing on my right side, which I usually suck more for breakfalling.) I landed terribly flat, from my right hip all the way down to the right foot, completely flat. That was on a mat.

That shit hurted so bad, with bruises on the outside of my hip and tigh, I can safely assume such a bad fall on concrete could easily break somebody's hip (one of the worst fractures you can get.)

I was also thrown once on my back, on dirt, no grass, just solid dirt littered with little pebbles. It was just a brawl, got rushed and thrown with a hip throw. Knocked the shit out of me, plus the scratches man, the scratches, I couldn't put on or take off a shirt without my balls retracting for several days.

Those scratches sucked ass so much man.
      Last edited by Teh El Macho; 6/07/2008 1:28pm, .
      Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Comment

There used to be a combat grappling style called something like "Quicksilver". It was designed for fighting on hard surfaces, basically modified wrestling and jujitsu takedowns that were intended to use the attacker's body to cushion your own fall. I haven't heard anything about it for years, though.
        Check out the Bullshido.net Western Martial Arts Forum for all things Western, martial and arty.

Bartitsu: the Gentlemanly Art of Self Defence (est. 1899)

Comment

it....fucking hurts, gravel cuts your skin as well.

Comment

That depends a lot.

You can take examples from activities where you fall with some force/Speed into concrete.
            Lets side Bicycle and Skatebording.

Professionals get killed on Bikes, but much of that i suspect is from having your feet tied down, and landing with your head on the Sidewalk.

On Skateboard i have persoanly roled my way of quite a few falls untouched. And out of others severely bruised, but on my feet on moments. If you don't bang your head, or break/twist something, you can get up in an instant (depending on how you fell).

Of corse if you are thrown on your head, or guided down so you cannot control your fall, you will probably be hurt a lot more.

I personaly think my limited Aikido has helped me a lot at Skateboard.
            So if you know how to break a fall and have the opurtunity, you can land well in Concrete.

Comment

Originally posted by mya
              That depends a lot.

You can take examples from activities where you fall with some force/Speed into concrete.
              Lets side Bicycle and Skatebording.

Professionals get killed on Bikes, but much of that i suspect is from having your feet tied down, and landing with your head on the Sidewalk.

On Skateboard i have persoanly roled my way of quite a few falls untouched. And out of others severely bruised, but on my feet on moments. If you don't bang your head, or break/twist something, you can get up in an instant (depending on how you fell).

Of corse if you are thrown on your head, or guided down so you cannot control your fall, you will probably be hurt a lot more.

I personaly think my limited Aikido has helped me a lot at Skateboard.
              So if you know how to break a fall and have the opurtunity, you can land well in Concrete.
              Before you post in this thread again, i would like you to walk down to your local judo school, and get a proper Harai Goshi.

PROOF that I'm not a completely useless poster:
              http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...0&postcount=58

Originally posted by Cy Q. Faunce
              3moose1 is correct. Sig THAT, you fucker.

Originally posted by sochin101
              I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
              That is not conducive to passionate cunnilingus, my friend, let me assure you.
              Originally posted by HappyOldGuy
              I agree with moosey

Comment

I was tackled by a dirty bum in mud once, and that sucked. It didn't hurt, but let me tell you, fighting a bloody, smelly bum in the mud is not a fight you really "win".

Comment

What's the story behind that Frank?

Comment

ya bums don't randomly drag you into the mud

Comment

Originally posted by FLMikeATT
                      What's the story behind that Frank?
                      Thought you'd never ask...

My younger days, we spent many hours smoking and drinking on Telegraph ave, in Berkeley. Fights broke out often then, with frat boys, bums, gutterpunks, thugs, whoever. Cops didn't care much back then.

Anyhoo, a bum jumps a skater kid, a little guy, and like a drunk idiot, I go to Peoples Park to sort him out. Turns out to be the most haggard looking toothless bum in the park, so I'm hesitant to hit him. The bum however, didn't hesitate for a second.

He tackles me in the mud, and it's on. Skaters running up from behind begin kicking the bum, I'm screaming "get him off me!" Why wouldn't they get him off me first? WHY!? Bums run in from all sides to attack. It spills into the street, stopping traffic, then hippies and college kids run in to break it up. Only they assume we are attacking the bums, and we end up fighting them off as well. (bums fight way better than hippies, btw).

All said and done, rolling in the mud with a smelly bloody bum really sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by moonwatcher
                        ya bums don't randomly drag you into the mud
                        Actually, bums randomly do a lot of weird shit. It's their nature.

Comment

thats just a scientific fact, I can't fight that

Comment

I've been thrown hard enough on padded surfaces to knock the wind out of me countless times in practice and tournaments. I've thrown opponents in tournaments and given them concussions three times. I was thrown onto my front with my elbow tucked into my chest hard enough to crack my own ribs. All of these incidents occured with people who knew how to fall and on properly padded surfaces.

On a hard surface like concrete I can't imagine how damaging a full force throw would be. I've thrown guys a few times onto hard surfaces but never with full force. They've generally been drunken brawls and I typically used a foot sweep or an o-soto with a hand on the chest and a light reaping with the leg. Even without a hard follow-through the impact of being taken off their feet in a very unexpected manner has taken the fight out of everyone I've had occasion to do it to.

Comment

I've been tossed around on ballroom floors. Read, thin carpeting over concrete. It can be okay if you know how to fall, it can really suck if you don't, or if you don't get the chance.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X