Pointless Hypothetical Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pointless Hypothetical Question

OK, so I was going over another bothersome rehash thread of striking vs. grappling, and one poster mentioned the inherent unfairness of gravity that gives pure grappling an advantage over pure striking. And this question came to me:

What if the fight was in space?

There would certainly still be a "ground" (although outside a station in suits would be pretty cool too...) as given by any walls nearby, but gravity is essentially non-existant for this fight.

Now before you completely discount the thought, just remember these two points.

a)The method of fighting is essentially set until humans evolve a drastically different physiology or the environment changes enough (like no gravity).

b)I'm agreeing with Hawkins (and think you should too) that continuance of the human species for the long term requires that humans make the leap to realistic colonization of space and other planets.

Thus set, what would you think are the best current skillsets and what do you think would need to evolve in fighting systems to take advantage of the differences in weightless fighting?

For my own thoughts on this:

Most striking as it is known now would be practically useless. Throwing a kick, punch, etc. requires the body to be grounded - no leverage = no effectiveness. A roundhouse would leave the body spinning more than transferring impact to the opponent.

Ground game would also suffer. Without a stable force keeping people on the ground, a lot of the submissions would be rendered ineffective. Joint manipulation would still be viable. An armbar or heelhook would work just as well floating, although escaping them might be easier; I'm not sure since I don't have much if any experience.

The clinch would become the most common combat range. From here - with something connecting you to your opponent - you can strike and grapple without having the moves simply make you fly away rom your opponent.

Chi believers would become (more) insufferable as any slight movement caused by currents in the air systems are attributed to someone's "amazing chi aura"

Ninjas would disappear as they all try to hide outside the airlocks.

FMA would win. All they would need is the slightest cut on your space suit to cause decompression, turning you inside out.

Or, as I mentioned in the other thread you reffered to, Lucha Libre. Those high flying moves would be even more spectacular in zero gravity.

Comment

:psyduck: aiyaiyai

fighting in space?

Comment

Originally posted by gref
        :psyduck: aiyaiyai

fighting in space?
        Why not? There's too much lava down here. :5dunce:

Comment

Eventually in a reduced gravity environment bone density is lost & muscle condition also diminishes so we can't really go into zero gravity on a permanent basis. Also space suits have extensive layers of insulation so you're not really going to have much luck without an atmosphere similar to earths, so gun fu for the win.

Comment

Mizujitsu FTW:

This UnderWater Safety & Self Defense Course has been developed at the suggestions of such diverse organizations as NASA (as part of a request for a "Weightless Environment Combat Course"), YWCA (additional training for Lifeguards and pool personnel) and professional Dive Shops (for Rescue Divers, Dive Masters, and Dive Instructors). Every year there are drownings and severe injuries due to panic or anger in the water. There are several courses taught to Lifeguards, and Scuba instructors through the YMCA, Red Cross, PADI, and other fine organizations, such as the Advanced Lifeguard and the PADI Rescue Diver training, but these only cover the very basics. This course takes that training several steps further, in an organized, safe, and well documented manner.

The instructor and author of this course is Prof. Steve McLaughlin, 7th Degree Black Belt in DanZan Ryu JuJitsu (and holds the rank of Black Belt in several other martial arts) a professional scuba diver and a PADI certified Rescue Diver. He is the owner and presiding instructor of the Hawaii Zenyo BuJutsu Kai in Honolulu, Hawaii, and teaches this course at Dive Centers, Dive Instructors and to many Dive and Water Safety professionals in Hawaii. This course has been taught in Nevada, California and Hawaii to the YMCAs / YWCAs, and Red Cross instructors for over 10 years. It is now available to all certified Lifeguards, Scuba Dive Instructors, and selected professionals in the Dive and Water Safety Industry.

Originally a martial arts course, it was taught only in selected martial arts schools and at martial arts national conventions for 12 years before being made available to the professional public. It has been in development for over 15 years by Sensei McLaughlin with help from Professor Herb LaGue (innovator of a 'Free Fall' weightless environment course originally requested by NASA). We have also relied heavily on the experience of PADI Instructors, the DAN database, and Military Dive instructors for the water safety and diving danger aspects of the course.

http://www.pixi.com/~mcjitsu/mizujitsu/mizujitsu.html
            Last edited by DdlR; 6/07/2008 12:58pm, .
            Check out the Bullshido.net Western Martial Arts Forum for all things Western, martial and arty.

Bartitsu: the Gentlemanly Art of Self Defence (est. 1899)

Comment

I've seen footage of the kamehameha being used effectively in space.

Comment

damn, if you had a space suit designed for space fighting(like plastic or cream, something that can keep you in space naked), and enough drugs and evolution to pul it off, it would be the birth or IRL buku jutsu, AKA the air game.

you would generate power by having your strike be the flying nose of your human rocket, and Dragon Ball Z rules would apply.

Comment

Tai Chi.

Think about it, they already move in slow motion, redirecting energy, looking all weightless and stuff. And they already wear Star Trek-looking shiny futuristic evil-villian pj's .

In fact, it would almost seem that Tai Chi is ONLY effective in outerspace.

Comment

I hope everyone reads a science textbook before thinking about this thread.

Clinch would rule space. The only way to hit someone in 0g is to hold them while you hit them.

Grappling would change since there would be no dominant position--guard and mount would meld into one position. Side control and N-S would be equivalent for both fighters. It would depend entirely on your pummeling-style skills in each of these wacky positions.

This makes my head hurt.

EDIT > you could punch someone without clinching, but it would almost always A) fail, B) suck for you as well, C) go to clinch anyway. Oh, and missing a punch would suck.
                    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Comment

Grappling would suck. Endless spinning out of a kimura. The only thing that would suck more is Aikido again just spinning in endless circles joined a the wrists. Plus the hakkama would look ridiculous in zero gravity.

Tai Chi would be best that is designed to work with very slow moves.

Comment

Originally posted by 1point2
                        Clinch would rule space. The only way to hit someone in 0g is to hold them while you hit them.
                        So does this mean that every striking match will look like the (in)famous Frye-Takayama fight?

http://www.google.com/videoplay\?doc...13964671200441

Sounds pretty awesome to me.

Comment

Without gravity to tether you down, the reaction - opposite reaction thing becomes very obvious. Say you were somehow grounded enough to throw a punch, upon impact both of you would be thrown in opposite directions, although probably him more than you.
                          Lord Krishna said: I am terrible time the destroyer of all beings in all worlds, engaged to destroy all beings in this world; Of those heroic soldiers presently situated in the opposing army, even without you none will be spared.
                          Bhagavad Gita 11:32

Comment

*watches vid*

PROTECT YOUR FUCKING HEAD!!!!!!!!!!!!
                            Lord Krishna said: I am terrible time the destroyer of all beings in all worlds, engaged to destroy all beings in this world; Of those heroic soldiers presently situated in the opposing army, even without you none will be spared.
                            Bhagavad Gita 11:32

Comment

ahem.
                              Originally posted by 1point2
                              Grappling would change since there would be no dominant position
                              guard and mount would meld into one position.
                              what was that?
                              let's put these halves of your statement against each other one more time.
                              are you seeing why i'm doing this yet?

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X