Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

small joint manipulation FTW

Comment

I'd like to point out that the effectiveness of Dim Mak would be unchanged by zero gravity.

Comment

A more important and viable question would be, "how do you deal with having explosive diarrhea in space"???

Comment

Originally posted by SoulMechanic
          A more important and viable question would be, "how do you deal with having explosive diarrhea in space"???
          Airlocks.

Comment

Originally posted by WorldWarCheese
            Airlocks.
            Dude, you don't want that stuff getting out in the station at zero gravity.

Comment

In space, no one can hear you Kiai.
              Jesus loves you. I think you're an asshole.

Comment

The rear mount becomes the only position of consistent advantage because it doesn't depend on gravity or the floor.

Space-BJJ wins again!

Comment

Originally posted by MrGalt
                  I can't think of a single strike that would work worth a damn in zero-G. Clinching and kneeing would be weak without pushing off the ground. I suppose punching "up" from the guard would be okay if you crunched to pull your opponent into it, but that's about all I can imagine. You couldn't even draw chi energy up from the ground through your feet to use pressure points.

Did the strikers the OP was talking about think that they'd be all set to do mad flying capoeira bullshit in the absence of a ground to be G&Ped on?
                  I was seeing striking more like the posted video - where you grab your opponent and push-pull them into your fist/knee/headbutt. But, as I also said, I figured striking would be pretty much gone from the skillset.

Originally posted by 1point2
                  Hold on, are we talking fighting-in-space-outside, or fighting-in-space-inside? Because we have Russians up there, and I'll be damned if at least one of them hasn't done SAMBO or judo.

I had been assuming outside-spacewalk type scenario, but while chasing floating globules of liquid during chowtime inside, 0g would still come into play, no spacesuits. Plus, walls and weapons of opportunity!
                  I was speaking more of 0g inside a space station (hypothetically one with an area large enough for a fight). I would agree with a previous poster that prolonged time in space would make bone and muscle mass deteriorate to the point that any physical attack would hurt you as much as your opponent. Thus any station designed for perpetual living would at first require areas where people could have artificial gravity (through current tech ideas of rotating chambers or perhaps through something we haven't thought of yet) to keep healthy until humans evolve a design for weightless environments.

With this in mind, yes a fighter would have walls to push off of, to throw people at, etc.; the effect of a constant accelerator in one direction is the main difference I was seeing. For example, I could imagine a foot reap working (not to disrupt balance, but to disrupt one's orientation), but for them to "fall" you would have to push them towards a wall - keeping in mind that if you aren't grounded you will also fly in the opposite direction at the same force.

Originally posted by tharuz
                  Flying kicks and flying punches.

take a distance from your opponent, and somehow rocket the strike towards them.
                  How easy would it be to dodge this, though? And if this were most effective, would fights converge into two people bouncing off the walls in succesive joust-like attacks until one connects well enough?

Would it - in fact - turn into a DragonballZ combat scene (including the 1 month's worth of time to describe an hour's fight due to all the screaming and staring at each other)?!?

Comment

Best art for space? Tiger Crane, of course.

Ukraine, me Tiger.
                    Originally posted by Goju - joe
                    being a dick with skill is only marginally better than being a dick without skill.

Comment

JKD and kung fu teach methods of expansion and torque from body mechanics; you'd be able to generate some amount of power simply by expanding your abs or pushing with yoru legs against any surface around you. Would be inredibly funny to watch though since with no resitence in any direction a punch to someone's face would not only throw them back but you too! Makes me think of the last fight in the Matrix trilogy. Drop punches would be completely usesless, but also just as funny to watch someone try: they'd life their feet up expecting to drop their weight inot the opponent only to find them selves floating in the same position! But you can't learn to swim in a dessert; we need to finance some type of study!

Comment

Originally posted by qtzlctl
                        \But you can't learn to swim in a dessert; we need to finance some type of study!
                        I swam in a chocolate mousse once.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Spector
                          I swam in a chocolate mousse once.
                          Why did I get Dumbo flashbacks from this?

I've seen a door jam, and a rubber band
                          Saw a needle that winked its eye!

But I've seen just about everything, when I see a ninjer fly?

Comment

Me thinks that elbows from mard / gount would work okay.

Comment

If it WAS during a space walk (i.e. the space-streets) RBSDers would be at a complete loss - biting and eye gouges are useless when everyone wears helmets!

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X